Author Topic: Categorization of Fundies.  (Read 12698 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Categorization of Fundies.
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:10:32 pm »
Yeah, I'm bored so I made the list of fundies. 

-The apologetic: Relies on really bad logic and reasoning to try to prove god.  They attempt to approach things scientifically and logically, but the logic is simplified and doesn't take into account third options (ie: others religions may be right).  They often fail to understand the concepts they are critiquing (mainly evolution) so their arguements also fail.  Think of venomfangx of youtube fame for an extreme example of one. 

-The Ranting Fool: Not so much fundie as they are bigoted jerks.  They rant on feminists, homosexuals, Muslims, blacks, gays, or anyone who they don't like.  However, they aren't necessarly religious, and if they are, it doesn't show so much, nor do they use it to justify their views.  Some are rather extreme and scary (particularly the racists and sexists) but for the most part, they just come across as grumpy old men who have never come out of their time period. 

-The political fundie: The most dangerous.  These are the ones who have political power, and in some cases, try to run for President.  They are almost always Republican (Rick Perry, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman).  It's hard to tell if their really religious or if they are just using religion to appeal to the masses, but either way, they are a scary bunch.

-The Cult Leader: The most extreme and evil of the bunch.  They are like the political fundies only on a smaller scale.  However that doesn't make them any less influencial.  They are very good at mind games and use them to control people in their community.  They are the ones who use the bible to advocate horrific ideas, such as child abuse, treating women as property (and blaming them for what happens), and in some extreme cases, murder.  To keep those in line, they claim that the outside world is evil and will corrupt your soul.  Think Fred Phelps, Michael Pearl, Jack Hyles, Ronald E Williams, and David J Stewart.  What makes them dangerous and scary are that they are viral, creating...

-The Paranoid Extremist: These are the ones who are sucked into the cult.  They are paranoid about... well just about anything.  Every second they live they live for "god" and think that even fellow Christians are going to hell.  They most likely live in constant fear and depression about the devil, hell, and the rapture.  They worry about every little sin possibly sending them to hell, and are completely shut off from any media unless it's faith related.  Think most of the people on rapture ready.

-The conspiracy theorist: Similar to the Paranoid Extremist and the Cult Leader, they live in paranoia and fear, thinking that nothing on earth is as they see it.  However, these guys are not necessarly religious, they just have some very scary ideas.

-The Street Preacher: The ones going on the street telling all the pedestrians they are going to hell.  They typically go after women who they think are dressed immodestly or gay people, trying to "save" them.  However, this usually doesn't go over well with some of the people who strike back against them.  Usually this just feeds their ego, believing they are being persecuted for Christ.  For an example of one,

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObmTojbmw94" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObmTojbmw94</a>

Feel free to add your own, comment, or critique. 

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Re: Categorization of Fundies.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:25:25 pm »
Flame Warriors is always good for categorizing Internet users in general. While most fundies are some variety of Deacon, Artful Dodger and Ferrous Cranus tend to show up among creationists a lot.

Another category of fundie would have to be The Prophet of Doom. This guy will make predictions of the imminent Rapture/Apocalypse/End of Days/whatever using questionable readings of the Bible or some other equally-improbable method and convince enough gullible people into following him and threaten even more people. When the world inevitably fails to end on schedule, he will simply start over with another prediction and repeat until people finally stop listening.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:51:01 pm »
I was just thinking, the idea is similar to Flame Warriors, but different. Maybe Flame Warriors should have a subpage for Fundies?

I've been reading about the whole issue over the banner, & this one guy gave me 2 ideas for categories, though I'm not sure what you'd call them.

One talks horrible, hateful shit towards you. You're going to Hell. You deserve to be hated & beaten up. You're a cunt. You're stupid. Everyone agrees with me &, consequently, hates you. Et cetera. But what's the source of his beef with you? You're persecuting him, of course! Also, if you so much as swear, it shows what a hateful ad hominem-prone individual you are.

Another lists incredibly looooooong obviously copy/pasted lists of "evidence" against evolution. This somehow proves Creationism. The evidence is usually so incredibly wrong that you can shoot down 90% of it on an elementary school education. If you fail to rebuke EVERY SINGLE THING, you lose. If you do manage to tackle the whole list, don't you have something better to do? A good example is "101 Scientific Facts in the Bible," which is notable for the vast majority of its entries not only being incorrect, but having nothing to do with scientific issues.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:52:59 pm »
Flame Warriors is always good for categorizing Internet users in general. While most fundies are some variety of Deacon, Artful Dodger and Ferrous Cranus tend to show up among creationists a lot.

Another category of fundie would have to be The Prophet of Doom. This guy will make predictions of the imminent Rapture/Apocalypse/End of Days/whatever using questionable readings of the Bible or some other equally-improbable method and convince enough gullible people into following him and threaten even more people. When the world inevitably fails to end on schedule, he will simply start over with another prediction and repeat until people finally stop listening.

I think the Prophet of Doom would probably be a subcategory of the Klaxon.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:12:11 pm »
Wow that flame warriors is pretty neat.  It's like a TVtropes for message board users.

Apologetic: Ferrous Cranus. 
Ranting Fool: Troglodyte
A lot of others would be Klaxons (particularly the doomsday and hellfire preachers).
Religious types who comment on blogs come across as Furious Typers. 

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:26:40 am »
The copypasta fundie goes to his/her favorite creationist/fundie site and copies an "irrefutable proof" of something.  This will be posted on any message board if it has users that might disagree.  Once the "perfect argument" has been pasted and posted, the responses no longer matter.  The fundie has already taken the original site's word that it's airtight, so he/she doesn't have to bother actually reading any further.  The fundie need not have any actual understanding of the argument -- the preformed argument is seen as an automatic win button regardless of what it actually says.  The only things the fundie will ever type is [CTRL]-C, [CTRL]-V, and short phrases indicating the other side has lost*.

*the game.

Sorry, I had to do that.

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 02:42:33 pm »
The bestest freind;
Presents himself as your bestest freind, cheerfully explains that he used to be "just like you", then procedes to demonstrate how unlike you he was, and how absurdly out of touch with reality he is.
"I was once just like you, always hating Gawd, always looking for new ways to sin. I used to snort acid and LSD, I used to go to gay orgies all the time, I used to listen to *nigger music*, I used to be in an interacial sex gang that commited blasphemies in the name of evolution"... 

* Yes I realy met one who calls it that
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 03:37:55 pm »
Another lists incredibly looooooong obviously copy/pasted lists of "evidence" against evolution. This somehow proves Creationism. The evidence is usually so incredibly wrong that you can shoot down 90% of it on an elementary school education. If you fail to rebuke EVERY SINGLE THING, you lose. If you do manage to tackle the whole list, don't you have something better to do? A good example is "101 Scientific Facts in the Bible," which is notable for the vast majority of its entries not only being incorrect, but having nothing to do with scientific issues.
Gish Galloper, or Gishite.
Σא

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 05:05:27 pm »
What about the fundie who claims they're always being oppressed? And the Dominionist?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 05:32:11 pm »
Gish Galloper, or Gishite.

"Shite" being the key word there. ::)

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:51:04 pm »
The bestest freind;
Presents himself as your bestest freind, cheerfully explains that he used to be "just like you", then procedes to demonstrate how unlike you he was, and how absurdly out of touch with reality he is.
"I was once just like you, always hating Gawd, always looking for new ways to sin. I used to snort acid and LSD, I used to go to gay orgies all the time, I used to listen to *nigger music*, I used to be in an interacial sex gang that commited blasphemies in the name of evolution"... 

* Yes I realy met one who calls it that

They also like to follow you around like a damn puppy & try to make you feel guilty if you're too good at proving them wrong.

It doesn't work.

I like the Evilutionary Skolar (a term I just made up). They know everything there is to know about evolution, inside & out. The only problem is that 99.9% of their information, from basic definitions to facts about evidence, are completely utterly wrong. Anything you say to correct them is a cleverly phrased lie. Often quote Hovind, as well as some bizarre made-up-on-the-spot statistic about how unlikely life is that they can't even begin to write a proof for.

Related, the Easy Evangelist. They are convinced that the problem is that you just haven't HEARD it before. And this is obviously true because sometimes you rephrase the argument with a more negative emphasis, which you OBVIOUSLY wouldn't do if you really UNDERSTOOD it. They have the patience & tenacity to type TL;WDR whiney-sounding appeals against atheist persecution, but their patience for someone trying to stick to debating a particular topic is inversely proportional to how much power they have on the board. Think about it. They will pray for you.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 01:50:45 am »
Related to the Easy Evangelist, the Sad Evangelist. The one who just looks at you disapprovingly and tries to reverse psych you by saying that you can come to the fold any time and you will be prayed for. No ranting, just quiet disapproval. The "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed" approach.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 01:59:26 am »
Related to the Easy Evangelist, the Sad Evangelist. The one who just looks at you disapprovingly and tries to reverse psych you by saying that you can come to the fold any time and you will be prayed for. No ranting, just quiet disapproval. The "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed" approach.

So the mom approach?

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 02:51:17 am »
Are they the same ones that ask why you're so angry at God that you feel the need to rebel?

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 12:46:06 pm »

So the mom approach?

Also the Pity Approach. "It's sad you don't feel god's love for you. There is blah blah blah that you don't get to whatever." Not dangerous, but annoying/insulting as hell.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.