Author Topic: Ask FQA!  (Read 23271 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Ask FQA!
« on: June 29, 2014, 03:04:31 pm »
Here's a thread for general questions.

I'll start.  If you put a bunch of guns in an oil drum, and bury the barrel in the woods for two years, would the guns still work?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Ask FQA!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:06:40 pm »
depends.  If it's air and water-tight, then yes, they will.  Might need some oil and a cleaning when you take them out, but they'd still fire.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 05:33:34 pm »
An FQA FAQ?  Sure.

What's a good way to deal with mosquitos inside the house when the spiders in your room suck at catching bugs?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 05:36:48 pm »
As a pizza delivery driver, I'm driving around a lot, turning my car off and on again repeatedly. And I've been wondering - is it a better idea to leave my car on when delivering, or to turn it off and rev it up again? As in, which one saves more gas?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 05:49:25 pm »
If you leave your vehicle off for longer than half an hour, it does actually burn more fuel initially, due to having to cycle fully through the system.  It's cheaper to idle.

For the mosquitoes, Magus, there's a particular spray bug poison that my roomie uses with a 4 gallon backpack setup.  We haven't had to deal with a single live bug in the house save two stray flies.  No stinkbugs, no house centipedes, no ants... it's great.  I'll check on that stuff and get back to you.

EDIT:  He says it's 'permethren' (per-me-thren) that he uses.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:54:39 pm by Cerim Treascair »
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 03:15:55 pm »
As a pizza delivery driver, I'm driving around a lot, turning my car off and on again repeatedly. And I've been wondering - is it a better idea to leave my car on when delivering, or to turn it off and rev it up again? As in, which one saves more gas?

I took a look at the California Energy Commission's publication on energy losses in a vehicle. Idling is a significant loss of energy at 17.2% of the input, and you would probably notice the savings from a smart-idling system that turns the engine off when the car is still, but by far the largest loss of energy comes from the internal combustion engine's inefficient mechanical output (62.4% loss, usually), which you would immediately notice if you synthesized fuel as energy storage. Electrical motors are far more efficient (< 20% loss for DC motors).
EDIT: According to the source from the U.S. Department of Energy, stop-and-go driving increases the engine losses to 71-75%.

Question: Does God real?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:21:06 pm by Ironchew »
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 03:49:23 pm »
Question: Does God real?

They need to do way instain god> who kill thier jebus. becuse these jebus can't frigth back?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 04:18:12 pm »
Question: What's the best microphone to record with and is under $200?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 05:05:32 pm »
Possibly a stupid question but what's actually happening when you expand or contract, or stretch (which is expanding I guess), a material?  Are you increasing/decreasing the space between the material's molecules or what?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 05:25:46 pm »
Possibly a stupid question but what's actually happening when you expand or contract, or stretch (which is expanding I guess), a material?  Are you increasing/decreasing the space between the material's molecules or what?

You probably want Wikipedia's article on deformation for an in-depth explanation, but solid materials can be thought of as an interaction between electrons in atoms where the material as a whole holds its shape. The atoms never physically touch under everyday conditions -- nearly all of a hydrogen atom's volume is empty space, for example -- but they do interact by way of the electromagnetic force. Some materials can undergo significant elastic deformation where the material as a whole changes shape, but the molecules themselves have room to displace each other without breaking bonds; materials subject to elastic deformation return to their original shape when the force is not applied. Plastic deformation alters the material and it's what you usually think of when something wears or breaks. The intermolecular forces are high enough to rearrange atoms in this process, which can make the material stronger and more brittle (this is a good thing if you want to temper alloys to make them stronger). The material breaks apart when the external force cannot be distributed throughout the entire material but is instead focused on a weak spot where the intermolecular forces are exceeded and the atoms break their bonds with the rest of the material.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 05:37:43 pm »
I have to say, your explaination was definately complimented by your signature lol.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 06:20:22 am »
This probably isn't the right place to ask such a question, but I don't want to make a new topic for it. I've been working on a world-building project for some time now, a society of a particular species of demon. In this society, given their non-human origins and, well... overall lack of respect for human religious morality (i.e. the norm in the setting), I've introduced sex in, while I wouldn't call it a prominent role, a role with some level of importance. However, whenever I do this, I always worry that I'm perverting or sexualizing the world I'm building. Would you say I'm right to worry? And, as a separate question, would you say that doing this is worrisome?

Because the questions are different. One can be right to worry without the actions themselves being worrisome.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 05:16:30 pm »
I guess the best question to ask you is "do the characters make a big deal out of it?"

If not? I wouldn't stress.  If they do? that depends on just HOW important it is, like "this is part of your life, you need to accept that" sorta thing.

Formerly Priestling

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 12:37:57 am »
Okay, I seriously don't know what to do about the broken images.  And it's random images, not all of them, and it happens in different places.  This forum will sometimes yield broken images, and it seems to be random what images are broken.  Tumblr is weird; my dash will almost always eventually load all images, but actual tumblr blogs will only load random images while breaking others.  Unless I open a blog through tumblr search, where, instead of loading the entire page, it opens up a side frame thing (tumblr users on here might know what I'm talking about); if I view a blog like that, all the images load. 

I've reinstalled flash, I've uninstalled flash (relying solely on the built-in pepper plugin), I've reinstalled Chrome, I've done full scans with Avast and Malewarebytes, I've disabled AdBlock, I've opened pages in incognito, I've emptied caches and deleted cookies, I've disabled all my extensions; none of it solved the problem.

Does anyone here have any idea what could possibly be causing random images to break in random circumstances?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 12:43:37 am »
I usually have a similar problem on days when my internet connection is particularly shitty and so random images just fail to load. No idea if that's at all related to your problem.
Σא