Author Topic: Urgent for all PC gamers who play Ubisoft titles update NOW  (Read 4059 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
www.screwattack.com/news/ubisoft-issues-patch-drm-uplay’s-security-flaw
Basically the DRM until you patch lets websites scan your pc.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Urgent for all PC gamers who play Ubisoft titles update NOW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:49:09 am »
A better object lesson in the flaws inherent in this new wave of DRM software, I can't find.  Except that whole Sony rootkit thing, maybe.  Least they acknowledged and fixed it...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 10:06:52 am »
After the problems people reported with the DRM on Assassin's Creed II I'm a) not surprised and b) inclined not to touch Ubisoft's PC games with a barge pole anyway.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:21:50 am »
If I did own any games with that sort of intrusive DRM, I'd have cracked them immediately after installing.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 05:23:13 pm »
I will also warn you that Anno 2070 has DRM which prevents you from upgrading your pc

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 05:45:20 pm »
I will also warn you that Anno 2070 has DRM which prevents you from upgrading your pc

How's THAT work? Seriously, explanation needed.  That sounds like hostile access to me.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 07:36:17 pm »

How's THAT work? Seriously, explanation needed.  That sounds like hostile access to me.
Anno has a 3 install limit and tehy treat putting in a new graphics card as an install and there is no way to fix this according to a German tech website which said limit prevented them from doing their jobs of benchmark testing

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:12:57 pm »

Anno has a 3 install limit and tehy treat putting in a new graphics card as an install and there is no way to fix this according to a German tech website which said limit prevented them from doing their jobs of benchmark testing

There's ways around that.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 09:16:59 pm »
Yeah, just crack the fucking thing. Hell, failing that, just torrent the whole damn game. If you've already paid for it, it's perfectly legal.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:33:43 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 09:25:46 pm »
Yeah, just crack the fucking thing. Hell, failing that, just torrent the whole damn things. If you've already paid for the game, it's perfectly legal.

Cracking it?  Eh, iffy, but iffy enough that there's no strong argument AGAINST it.

Torrenting a game you already own? Not really. It's only legal if it's a copy you've made from software you bought.  Due to licensing bullcrap.

Yes, it's semantic bullshit, being that I see that a copy is a copy is a copy.  And I dislike it, too, but there you go.

What impact does this have?  None, really.  It's hard to enforce, for one thing.  Just a technicality, at best :-/
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 09:31:47 pm »
Huh, I always thought that legally a torrented copy is as good as a copy you ripped from the disk. It's why ROM sites aren't technically illegal, because people who already own various console games are perfectly entitled to download a copy of the ROM, as long as the source code remains intact.

Eh, must be some other loophole then.

Though cracking it is most definitely legal. As long as you don't touch the source code, you're free to modify the shit out of your software in any way you like.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 10:27:16 pm »
I'm pretty sure (but I am not an authoritative source on this matter) the case with ROMs is more or less a question of effort vs. worth.

As long as a ROM site doesn't carry certain ROMs, the authorities won't shut their site down.  Big-name ROMs like Mario and Zelda tend to get a site pulled down quickly.  Lesser known ROMs are more or less ignored.

It's all still technically illegal, but it's like jaywalking.  While it's a crime, it isn't always worth enforcing.

Going after ROM-users would just be a headache in and of itself.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 10:31:29 pm »
As long as a ROM site doesn't carry certain ROMs, the authorities won't shut their site down.  Big-name ROMs like Mario and Zelda tend to get a site pulled down quickly.  Lesser known ROMs are more or less ignored.
Both EMUparadise and CoolROM are very well known, have ROMs of all the big-name games for every console they host, and they've both been around for years.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 04:26:16 am »
Both EMUparadise and CoolROM are very well known, have ROMs of all the big-name games for every console they host, and they've both been around for years.

... reminds me, I need to update my list...

Formerly Priestling