Author Topic: Lost city uncovered in Honduras  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
Lost city uncovered in Honduras
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:35:13 pm »
http://news-beta.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150302-honduras-lost-city-monkey-god-maya-ancient-archaeology/

I shit you not, my friends. So, get this : Some guys, in search of the "City of the Monkey God" in one of the most undisturbed forests in Honduras, actually found something. That's right, the ruins of a actual lost (and relatively advanced) civilization nested between the trees. It's like something out of a Indiana Jones movie, man.

I suggest you read the article instead of my bullshit, because there's no way I can compete with National Geographic.

In addition, I'd like to point you to the fantastic subreddit /r/unresolvedmysteries, as that's where I found this one. Serial killers, mysterious disappearances, the works if you like that sort of shit.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:36:47 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Lost city uncovered in Honduras
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 11:10:21 pm »
Makes you wonder what else is hiding in the wilderness.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 05:29:08 am »
MEIN FUHRER! WE MUST RELOCATE ZE SECRET BASE BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:58 am »
The "were-jaguar" figure is especially interesting, considering what we know of the Olmec and similar pre-Columbian cultures.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:32:52 am »
The "were-jaguar" figure is especially interesting, considering what we know of the Olmec and similar pre-Columbian cultures.

It might be a statue of one of those warriors (I forget which civilization they were from) that wore jaguar skins in battle and carried those swords made of obsidian shards.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:34:25 am »

It might be a statue of one of those warriors (I forget which civilization they were from) that wore jaguar skins in battle and carried those swords made of obsidian shards.

I think it was the Aztecs.

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 11:02:47 am »

The Aztec order of the Jaguar Knights, or ocelotl, are pretty fascinating themselves.

They wielded these pretty damn badass clubs with prismatic blades of obsidian, which as you might know, is sharp enough to decapitate horses. Of course, it still handles like a club: You lift and swing it, as opposed to thrusting with it.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 05:06:35 pm »

The Aztec order of the Jaguar Knights, or ocelotl, are pretty fascinating themselves.

They wielded these pretty damn badass clubs with prismatic blades of obsidian, which as you might know, is sharp enough to decapitate horses. Of course, it still handles like a club: You lift and swing it, as opposed to thrusting with it.
Apparently, the civilization that built the city is previously unknown and not Aztec so it's probably not an ocelotl. Just to be nitpicky, if you want to take an advantage of the obsidian blades you use macuahuitl more like a heavy cutting sword. You don't just bash with it like with a club, you make a slicing motion while striking.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 07:02:28 pm »
I always thought of a maquitl as more of an axe than anything else (by the way, isn't it fun to see the different ways we try to spell things from languages very different from English?).
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!