Author Topic: Officer kills restrained 18 year old  (Read 1562 times)

wrightway

Officer kills restrained 18 year old
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:52:10 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/justice/north-carolina-teen-killed/

Seventy seconds: That's how long a North Carolina family says it took for things to go horribly wrong as they sought police help dealing with their mentally ill son.

Keith Vidal, 18, died Sunday. According to CNN affiliate WECT, he was just shot 1 minute and 10 seconds after a third law enforcement officer showed up at his Brunswick County home.

The three officers all were from different jurisdictions, and family members say that the third officer -- who came from a nearby city -- turned what had been an improving situation into an unnecessarily aggressive encounter that ended in their son's death.

Who wants to bet officer friendly manages to wriggle out of this one? There seems to be no recourse where misbehaving cops are concerned.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Officer kills restrained 18 year old
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 08:57:51 pm »
Our police officers seem to be turning into Peacekeepers.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

wrightway

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:35:27 pm »
Indeed.

"Everything was going good," Mark Wilsey said, according to WWAY. "Then this fat cop from Southport walks in the room, walks around the corner, says, 'We don't have time for this. Tase that kid now. Let's get him out of here.' "

The stepfather said Vidal tried to run but was struck with two Taser charges and fell backward. He said the first two officers to respond got on top of Vidal.

WECT attributed a slightly different accounting of events to Mark Wilsey. In that retelling, the stepfather said officers had pinned Vidal to the ground after he had been tased and one of the officers said, "We don't have time for this" and shot his stepson.

Seventy seconds after the third officer arrived, WECT reported, citing police records, police radioed that they had had to shoot the teenager in self-defense.

The people in the comments defending officer trigger happy are making me lose all faith in humanity. He's a cop, so he must have had a reason. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:59:20 pm »
To quote the top comment on the page:

When the police "don't have time" to allow an "improving situation" to resolve itself without violence we as a society don't have time to allow such officers to remain out of jail.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 10:09:37 pm »
This reminds me of the guy in the wheelchair who was killed by police because he threatened them with a pen.  I guess it was justified in that case too since a pen could be deadly if used with enough force in the right place, despite the fact that he was in a wheelchair.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:33:43 pm »
Some motherfuckers in the comments section are arguing that it might be justified because he was mentally ill and had hulk strength or something and was immune to tasers. I should use my hulk powers to cram a brain in these dipshits heads.

On guy keeps repeating how the kid "was 5150 with a screwdriver!"  Same asshat is arguing that because he was on the ground after being tased that means he could have much more easily grabbed one of the officers guns and thus it was ok to shoot him. Other people are calling him on his shit, even going as far as saying he is a payed PR shill for the cops.

Jesus H motherfucking jack jumping tap dancing Christ, reading that article and a section of the comments has made so pissed I was to punch someone. Preferably whoever that "John" dipshit in the comments section is.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov