Author Topic: Judge orders infant's name changed on religious reasons  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
Re: Judge orders infant's name changed on religious reasons
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 07:40:32 am »
There should at least be a law. I know it'll probably violate a whole other bunchs of laws, but parents shouldn't be able to name their kids just any crazy shit they think up. "Messiah" is a pretty tame title, they could have picked something even more fucked up, like "Cock Shaft Grasping Sleeves"

Speaking of which, there's a guy in our town with a name that is pronounced Sha-thed, but is spelled, and this is no joke, Shithead.  I never knew him personally, but one of our friends was an assistant teacher in the school he attended and had him in one of her classes.

While I agree that some parents give their children names that defy logic, Messiah is really not that far out there.  This judge had absolutely no business renaming the child on religious grounds.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 07:54:52 am »
The judge shouldn't have changed the name, but calling your child Messiah just sounds really arrogant to me.

Also, he is completely fucked if any of his peers ever see Monty Python's Life of Brian.

"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!"

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 08:40:28 am »
I don't think the US should have a list of approved names, but if parents name their kid something like Adolf Hitler, then it's probably time to investigate them.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 08:47:26 am »
Its not really the government's place to tell you what you can and can't name your child.  A lot of people, I'd bet, who are behind having certain names "blacklisted" are the same people that bitch about the government having too much reach and too much power.  Keeping emissions down is HORRIBLEEVILCOMMUNISM, but saying you can't name your kid Cocksmith is perfectly acceptable.  PRIORITIES, MOTHERFUCKER!  DO YOU HAVE THEM?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 12:24:14 pm »
Since kids who are 12 or older are allowed to testify in court (12 is the "age of reason", by English common law custom), they should be able to demand a legal name change by that age. Just in time to avoid the hell of middle school-er ridicule.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 12:48:58 pm »
There should at least be a law. I know it'll probably violate a whole other bunchs of laws, but parents shouldn't be able to name their kids just any crazy shit they think up. "Messiah" is a pretty tame title, they could have picked something even more fucked up, like "Cock Shaft Grasping Sleeves"

Speaking of which, there's a guy in our town with a name that is pronounced Sha-thed, but is spelled, and this is no joke, Shithead.  I never knew him personally, but one of our friends was an assistant teacher in the school he attended and had him in one of her classes.

While I agree that some parents give their children names that defy logic, Messiah is really not that far out there.  This judge had absolutely no business renaming the child on religious grounds.

Sounds like a racist urban legend. http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 01:55:14 pm »

Sounds like a racist urban legend. http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

I've got some bad news. The Lemonjello and similar legends are actually somewhat true. I've heard several people say they knew someone with those names and stuff like Chlamydia and Vajeena.

I can say from experience that their are people that stupid out there, and stupid isn't a race nor confined to any specific one.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 02:28:20 pm »
There shouldn't be a list of approved names like in France, but at the same time, parents shouldn't be allowed to give their kids names that are just plain offensive, or will result in misery for the child, the kid has to live with the name at least until they are old enough to change it.

That said, the judge's reasons for changing it were moronic.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 02:29:20 pm »

Like I said, I don't know the guy personally.  But I do personally know the assistant teacher that swears the kid was in one of the classes she helped in at one of the local primary schools.  And I have heard other people talk about him.  I have no reason to not believe it is true in this case.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 02:30:55 pm »
And if Ballew turns out to be the name of an Irish saint, will the judge change his name?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 02:34:39 pm »
There shouldn't be a list of approved names like in France, but at the same time, parents shouldn't be allowed to give their kids names that are just plain offensive, or will result in misery for the child, the kid has to live with the name at least until they are old enough to change it.

That said, the judge's reasons for changing it were moronic.

So who determines what names are "offensive" or will "result in misery"?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 07:06:19 pm »
Judge, your name is now legally changed to Stupid Asshole.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 04:11:48 pm »
It's a stupid fucking name, but we're allowed to name kids stupid fucking things.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.