Author Topic: Fortune 500 Company Forces Closure Of Abuse Shelter To Build Hotel  (Read 11366 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: Fortune 500 Company Forces Closure Of Abuse Shelter To Build Hotel
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2013, 07:44:41 pm »
I think there's a lot of unwarranted emotion involved here. Ultimately, a women's shelter is a service. If the service is being provided in an old run down building, that isn't good.

There was clearly a compromise here that could have been found. The company pays substantially more than the value of the place without coercion, takes the tax break for charitable giving and gets their precious hotel. In return, the shelter is rebuilt on equally good ground a block away, but with modern premises. I bet if the corporation had come to them first with that offer in good faith, they would have had a different response.

That said, the shelter didn't want to sell. The spitefullness and mean-spiritedness of a corporation that forced a battered women's shelter to give up historically-listed* land in order to build something they don't even need- by exploiting the courts, no less- is unfathomable. No less because it didn't need to happen.

I don't think the problem is reclaiming symbols so much as bringing the government back to its Constitutional limits,

While this is not the place, I would quite like to know what you consider the government's (governments'?) over-stretching beyond its Constitutional limits. Certainly you've posted what I consider a bunch of myths about alleged 'classical' liberals, who are basically the same as modern ones.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2013, 10:17:58 am »
Fred, it was a case where a 100 year old charitable institution (which had received grants to renovate...which had to be used for attorney fees, instead) was forced out due to the corporation not wanting "those people" (poor people) visible on the nice and safe and trendy avenue. The building provided afterwards is in a sketchy neighborhood, that is loud and congested with traffic and has a relatively high violent crime rate. And there are no parks anywhere near it for the women to take their children to. Please read the original article, again, if you did so in the first place.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2013, 11:40:00 am »
You know. Perhaps there should be a benefit of some sort so that this women's shelter can raise money to buy a new plot of land in a nicer neighborhood and build a new place from scratch. Perhaps turn this loss into a win! Maybe we can convince someone to work out something.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2013, 09:48:17 pm »
Fred, it was a case where a 100 year old charitable institution (which had received grants to renovate...which had to be used for attorney fees, instead) was forced out due to the corporation not wanting "those people" (poor people) visible on the nice and safe and trendy avenue. The building provided afterwards is in a sketchy neighborhood, that is loud and congested with traffic and has a relatively high violent crime rate. And there are no parks anywhere near it for the women to take their children to. Please read the original article, again, if you did so in the first place.

If I've been unclear in my response, I apologise. You've clearly misunderstood.

I don't agree with the company's actual actions, not remotely. I was just suggesting that there was an alternative that could have kept both sides happy. If the corporation had purchased land in a reasonable area, donating a substantial amount of money for the construction of an upgraded facility* I doubt they'd have been turned down. They weren't just evil, they were stupid.

I did not think of the bolded section, though on reflection that makes a lot of sense. Proving once again that we should have the death penalty for corporations.

* Clearly the old facility was inadequate, hence the millions of dollars of government money they got later to refurbish it.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 10:19:57 pm »
Maybe not death, but certainly extremely heavy fines and/or imprisonment for clearly unethical, nigh-inhumane business practitioners.  Basically, any business person who took Atlas Shrugged as gospel, but I digress.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.