Author Topic: Fortune 500 Company Forces Closure Of Abuse Shelter To Build Hotel  (Read 11294 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: Fortune 500 Company Forces Closure Of Abuse Shelter To Build Hotel
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 04:52:32 pm »
I'm not sure I appreciate a company strong-arming their way to land, and I don't appreciate the CEO's words, but...I do find this part interesting...

Under the deal with Western & Southern, the women living at the Anna Louise will stay there until a new building for them is finished, in about two years. It will be located in a shabby neighborhood on a busy street 2 miles north of where they are now. The nearest park is a 1.5-mile walk away, over a freeway.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 04:59:47 pm »
This is just plain disturbing...  >:(
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 06:12:56 pm »
Disgusting...simply disgusting. The rich and powerful of our society are nothing but worms and leeches, disgusting bottom feeders who drink the life blood of society.

I only hope these disgusting insects are squashed in my life time.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 06:34:48 pm »
What I don't get is how the hell can they force a sale?
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 06:54:09 pm »
From the article:
Western & Southern executives, whose headquarters sit across a park from the Anna Louise, offered to buy the Anna Louise for $1.8 million several years ago, less than half its value. The Anna Louise declined and won $12.6 million in federal and state tax credits to renovate the home, where some rooms are smaller than 100 square feet and all the women have to share bathrooms and one kitchen.

Days before the renovation was to begin, Western & Southern sued over a zoning issue and a judge ordered an immediate construction halt until the legal fight was resolved. The Anna Louise and its supporters didn't back down, vowing to fight Western & Southern with everything they had — until last week when they inked a deal with the company to sell the home for $4 million.

Leaders at Cincinnati Union Bethel, the nonprofit that runs the Anna Louise, said they sold reluctantly because they couldn't afford to fight any longer.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 07:16:04 pm »
Civil law is bullshit.  Just puttin it out there.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 07:54:46 pm »
Okay, you know what? You see that Tweet button? Click it. Tweet this story. Ask your followers to retweet it. Print the story and show it to your family. And if you're in the area...well, I'm reluctant to say this, but... I think vigilantism is the way to go.

Just grab a gun, and if you see a demolitions expert, kill him shoot the tires on his car.

I agree. Spread the word! Don't let them get away with this! I will share this on my Facebook & Tumblr! BASTARDS! DON'T MESS WITH THE GODDESS!

I hate to burst both of your bubbles, but this'll all be forgotten in a month or two, even by all of us. Nothing as simple as Facebook and Tumblr posts are going to change that.

LIAR! FUCK YOU COCKFACE! WE WILL FIGHT THIS! THE WOMEN WILL WIN! CYNICISM IS FOR THE WEAK! THE GOOD GUYS WILL ALWAYS WIN EVENTUALLY! WE WILL FIGHT!

KARMA IS REAL & UNAVOIDABLE! THE LEGIONS WILL PROTEST & BARRETT WILL BE DEFEATED FOR THE SO-CALLED POWERFUL ARE HELPLESS AGAINST OUTRAGE!

Mod-mode ON!

Spuki, I know you apologized for the outburst, but you should really know better than to say things like this. Please keep insults to Flame & Burn, where you can have all the outbursts you want. I am giving you a warning.

Mod-mode OFF!

I know. I'll remove the inflammatory comments.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 08:14:01 pm »
Yeah, Spuki, do you realize how irrational you sound?

What's so irrational about a boycott?

I admit, my tone was insane.

I just am sick of the evil going unabated.
I want GOOD NEWS!
I want the light at the end of the tunnel!
I want you to quit being weak, heed the wisdom of hope, idealism & a fighting spirit!
All of you...CYNICAL FATALISTS.
Is this what has become of the Left?
I spit on your cynicism.

You will affirm "SOMETHING WILL BE DONE. WE WILL FIGHT THIS!"

If not, I will abandon this den of the weak & stupid!

For gods' sake, Spuki, real life isn't a fairy tail where the good knight always vanquishes the evil dragon and saves the pretty princess and marries her.

A working definition of a cynic is a "disappointed idealist".  Which applies to several people here, and quite frankly they have good reason to be cynics, and I will support their rights to be cynics on these forums.

Sometimes it gets overbearing, yes, but so does optimism, especially blind optimism.

"Karma" as you state it is a corrupted invention by new age hippies to make themselves feel better when someone does something bad and they keep doing good.  Its original use applies to reincarnation, and it is a Hindu belief which does not resemble the modern idea of karma at all.  Face it.  Good things happen to bad people.  And bad things happen to good people.  That's life.  And while we shouldn't endure it, there's absolutely no reason to shout at people who, quite frankly, have become real life genre savvy about things that happen.

"Better to aim your expectations low and be pleasantly surprised than to aim your expectations high and be disappointed" people say, and these are wise words.

You want good news?  Find it yourself.  Cynicism isn't weak.  And it isn't giving up either.  It's just a world view, and it is just as valid as your world view.  The sooner you accept that the sooner you will prosper.

Furthermore, don't order people to be optimistic, and don't order people to share your worldview.  It is, quite frankly, overstepping your boundaries and is offensive to people.

Now, cool your fucking jets.  Next time you get angry, step away from the computer.  But I will not allow you to hurl abuse at people on these forums, even if they are people I disagree with from time to time.  And I will not allow you to order people to do things just because they share a different world view and you disagree with that.

I say this to help you.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 08:46:07 pm »
What I don't get is how the hell can they force a sale?

Although it doesn't appear to be the case here, usually they use Imminent Domain, which for those of you outside the US is when the government forces someone to leave their land. I'm not sure if they have to pay them for it, but they usually do. It's original intent was for when the government needed a particular piece of land for a very good reason, such it being hazardous to the residents and they needed to move somewhere else, or needed by the military as a critical location(like to set up an AA gun near an important factory). It's recently been abused quite a lot for much more frivolous reasons.

A story was posted here a few days back of the UK's equivalent being used for the first time since WWII. Unfortunately it's been used a lot in the US
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 08:50:58 pm »
Yeah, Spuki, do you realize how irrational you sound?

What's so irrational about a boycott?

I admit, my tone was insane.

I just am sick of the evil going unabated.
I want GOOD NEWS!
I want the light at the end of the tunnel!
I want you to quit being weak, heed the wisdom of hope, idealism & a fighting spirit!
All of you...CYNICAL FATALISTS.
Is this what has become of the Left?
I spit on your cynicism.

You will affirm "SOMETHING WILL BE DONE. WE WILL FIGHT THIS!"

If not, I will abandon this den of the weak & stupid!

For gods' sake, Spuki, real life isn't a fairy tail where the good knight always vanquishes the evil dragon and saves the pretty princess and marries her.

A working definition of a cynic is a "disappointed idealist".  Which applies to several people here, and quite frankly they have good reason to be cynics, and I will support their rights to be cynics on these forums.

Sometimes it gets overbearing, yes, but so does optimism, especially blind optimism.

"Karma" as you state it is a corrupted invention by new age hippies to make themselves feel better when someone does something bad and they keep doing good.  Its original use applies to reincarnation, and it is a Hindu belief which does not resemble the modern idea of karma at all.  Face it.  Good things happen to bad people.  And bad things happen to good people.  That's life.  And while we shouldn't endure it, there's absolutely no reason to shout at people who, quite frankly, have become real life genre savvy about things that happen.

"Better to aim your expectations low and be pleasantly surprised than to aim your expectations high and be disappointed" people say, and these are wise words.

You want good news?  Find it yourself.  Cynicism isn't weak.  And it isn't giving up either.  It's just a world view, and it is just as valid as your world view.  The sooner you accept that the sooner you will prosper.

Furthermore, don't order people to be optimistic, and don't order people to share your worldview.  It is, quite frankly, overstepping your boundaries and is offensive to people.

Now, cool your fucking jets.  Next time you get angry, step away from the computer.  But I will not allow you to hurl abuse at people on these forums, even if they are people I disagree with from time to time.  And I will not allow you to order people to do things just because they share a different world view and you disagree with that.

I say this to help you.

Look, I understand the value of being realistic. I understand where you are coming from. I'm just angry, that's all. I know that sometimes the bad guys win. But everyone's attitude is "The CEO won...ohhh well..." and when I say we can fight this, I get an attitude like "Yeah, right!"

Well, the Corporate powers are ignoring the laws & taking over and all we can do is twiddle our thumbs and sulk. I have yet to see ONE of them get punished. I'm sick of it! I have yet to see us win one battle! Cynicism isn't the problem, it's hyper-cynicism, which seems to be the "in thing" with folks these days. I'm not a hyper-optimist. I'm all for realism, too! I am an Realist-Idealist! I don't expect major change in a short time. But dammit, THERE'S NO MORALE ANYMORE!

Are you just gonna roll up and die? Are you going to wimp out?

We, The Left, have lost our spirit. We need it back! We need strategies! We need to do what the enemy does. We need to be careful & shrewd. I understand the pitfalls of too much optimism & idealism but I reject this nihilist/pessimist/hyper-cynical attitude everyone has. Is this our future? Is this what we have become? A world where the just majority is powerless against an unjust minority? Even when the bad guy wins the battle, do we make the best of it or find an alternative?

....Like raising money for this Women's shelter so they can buy land in a NICE neighborhood & build a beautiful new facility from scratch? How about a big benefit concert?

What's wrong with finding the silver lining on the cloud?

Can I help it if I have anger issues? Can I help it if my rage is fulled by feelings of pure helplessness?

I just want to see some justice!

I'm so sorry.

I'm angry because I see nothing but victories for the wrong side. Where are the victories for "the little guy"? Nazis fell...Soviets fell...other unjust regimes & people have fallen...why can't that happen today?

Okay, I know...LGBTs are winning left & right. That's good, I'm happy....

But what about Women's Rights? The Right To Choose? The Economy? The Haves & Have nots?

Oh, I removed my stupider quotes. Sorry for flaming you guys. I feel like shit!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:15:37 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 09:50:46 pm »
I too feel Spuki's frustration. Why must good things continue to happen to utterly rotten, disgusting "people"?

I reject the idea that the world must stay as it is, that there is an American way of life, that somehow just because a bunch of old people who are now long dead decided on something, that such is how it must be.

Even if it means I am not a patriot, that I hate this disgusting country with a passion...I will not stand by idly as people victimize one another with impunity.

Why can't the rich just suffer a little, to put them even somewhat near the level of humanity of basically everyone else?

They are endlessly rotting this world with their spoiled attitude, closing their gates to everyone outside their communities, watching the world burn from their private jets, and only thinking of how to get richer and richer. They have absolutely no right to tell us how to live our lives, when they live in gated communities, play golf and stay in luxurious homes.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 09:54:33 pm »
I agree, these kinds of people need to be humbled.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 10:07:11 pm »
Thank you so much, niam2023 & Dynamic Dragon. You understand! I wish we could have a group hug.

So, a VIRTUAL ONE will suffice...

My detractors are welcome, too. I love you all....

GROUP HUUUUG!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 10:25:05 pm »
> Can I help it if I have anger issues?

As a matter of fact, Spuki, yes, yes you can.  It's called channeling your rage into productive things, rather than going on a caps lock psycho-rage.  I do blacksmithing and sword practice, and yard work.  What's your excuse?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Art Vandelay

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 10:56:59 pm »
Look, I understand the value of being realistic. I understand where you are coming from. I'm just angry, that's all. I know that sometimes the bad guys win. But everyone's attitude is "The CEO won...ohhh well..." and when I say we can fight this, I get an attitude like "Yeah, right!"

Well, the Corporate powers are ignoring the laws & taking over and all we can do is twiddle our thumbs and sulk. I have yet to see ONE of them get punished. I'm sick of it! I have yet to see us win one battle! Cynicism isn't the problem, it's hyper-cynicism, which seems to be the "in thing" with folks these days. I'm not a hyper-optimist. I'm all for realism, too! I am an Realist-Idealist! I don't expect major change in a short time. But dammit, THERE'S NO MORALE ANYMORE!
Ok then. If that's how it is, then by all means, prove us wrong. As you seem so eager to do, get up from behind your computer, go out and fight for change. Find a way, any way at all, to put a major corporation in its place and return the house to its former owners. You can do that, then of course I and I imagine most other will not only take you seriously, but maybe even fight alongside you when possible. Until then, these big words of yours are little more than the ramblings of a naive hyper-optimist.