Author Topic: Researchers find way to convert all donated blood to O-  (Read 1665 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Researchers find way to convert all donated blood to O-
« on: August 25, 2018, 01:17:42 am »
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/aug-25th-2018-an-ancient-human-hybrid-child-universal-blood-parasites-parasitize-each-other-and-more-1.4795953/ubc-researchers-have-found-a-way-to-convert-any-blood-type-to-the-universal-o-1.4795975

One major problem with blood donation is that of matching blood types. Not all types are compatible with all other types, and only one type is usable for transfusions to any recipient: O-.

That type, however, is somewhat rare and medical professionals find themselves chronically short of it. Researchers have been looking for a way to convert any blood to O- for decades now, and a team at UBC appears to have figured it out.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Re: Researchers find way to convert all donated blood to O-
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 05:44:49 am »
That's not ENTIRELY accurate. They can make A, B, and AB blood into O, yes, but they cannot make + into -.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 06:22:49 am »
That's not ENTIRELY accurate. They can make A, B, and AB blood into O, yes, but they cannot make + into -.

OK, sure. I imagine they're working on that part.

Still, it's huge news, because at the least they can convert A-, B-, and AB- to O-, which pretty significantly expands the pool of "universal donors".
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 07:34:11 am »
The big thing I suppose is that the process is now a lot cheaper and easier than the previous methods. And it's not like they have to do it to all the blood. Just make some extra O- blood from a few other types and that will already make things easier for those who have rarer blood types.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 07:34:53 am »
Oh, absolutely. But it's still a far cry from "all donated blood," which is what was claimed.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 02:25:38 pm »
Oh, absolutely. But it's still a far cry from "all donated blood," which is what was claimed.

I suppose I misread the article.