Author Topic: Our Good Friend Breivik Indicted Under Anti-Terror Law  (Read 6437 times)

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
Re: Our Good Friend Breivik Indicted Under Anti-Terror Law
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 09:31:02 pm »
That I do not know.  All I know is from what's been reported.  If the max is 21 per charge, then he ain't ever getting out.

Ironbite-I'm not a law student...Hint...Hint.

LOL. Somehow, I knew someone would say that. Sadly, though, I don't know any ways to check laws outside the US. State and Federal laws here - no problem. Other countries, not so much...  :-[
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 09:36:29 pm »
As mentioned, he can be kept longer if he's still considered a threat to society. Although, admittedly, given the gravity of his crimes, I'd like it better if he got the Quisling treatment. Normally against the death penalty, but given the slaughter that happened, it would be justified.
I'd be surprised if they didn't keep him longer even if he became a totally perfect person.  Although I'm surprised they are calling this terrorism (not the act but I thought people were saying too mentally ill to commit crime)

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 10:05:28 pm »
He committed the single worst gun massacre in world history and only gets 21 years?

Talk about a Karma Houdini

That's the max in Norway.

Is it the max per charge, or max total? In other words, if they charged him with 77 counts of murder, could he get 77 21-year sentences?

Nope. Norway, along with much of Europe, practises concurrent sentencing. This means that a person can be convicted of seventeen counts of murder, each sentence attracting 21 years, but will serve all of these sentences simultaneously. So basically no matter how many murders you commit you'll only be in prison for the length of the longest sentence. If you commit a double murder, getting a 17 year sentence and a 30 year sentence, you'll serve 30 years rather than 47.

However, in some cases you can be imprisoned for life. I know in the UK the 'Moors Murderers' Myra Hindley and Ian Brady were sentenced to life and will die in prison (Hindley died at Her Majesty's Prison Highpoint in 2002 and Brady is in a secure psychiatric hospital). However, if it is true that Norwegian maximum sentence is 21 years then unless they change the law just for him he may well get out in that amount of time.
'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart