Author Topic: The Thrill Of Taboo  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
The Thrill Of Taboo
« on: June 03, 2013, 04:26:52 am »
So something has been churning in my mind.  Humanity's full of some...interesting people.  What people enjoy privately and what they publicly enjoy are often too totally different things.  The Internet proves this more than ever, as people are more apt to share less socially acceptable thoughts and desires if they feel they can't be linked to them.

Having thought about that, I was thinking.  There's likely a forbidden fruit syndrome with a lot of this stuff.  Like, the more taboo something is, the more satisfying it might be for someone to indulge it, or even merely talk about it.  When I discuss that second part, I guess I mean "They want to find people who share the same or similar ideas to be able to hold a conversation with.

I dunno.  I was just thinking about this, and for some reason I really wanted to make a thread about it and get opinions on it.  As far as I can tell, it's somewhat philosophical.  It would be fascinating if research has been done on it, but I wouldn't be aware of any (and am too lazy to see if there is any).

Hell, I was just thinking about it, and I think thrill can come from ideas/thoughts that aren't even really taboo, but are perceived by someone having them as such..  It sure the fuck would go a long way in explaining persecution complexes.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 04:49:32 am by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Re: The Thrill Of Taboo
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 05:17:58 am »
We like a pack of stupid children. The more someone says dont do something, the more we want to do it.

People are spiteful dicks at heart. Its just fucking fun to do something we arent supposed to do, for some bloody reason
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: The Thrill Of Taboo
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 07:51:25 am »
From what I know, people do get a thrill out of doing things that are seen as dangerous or wrong by the general public. I have to admit, that's why I find exhibitionism so enthralling (honestly, I'm not one for caring about total secrecy, so yeah). It's wrong, and acting on it in any significant way would be extremely dangerous due to laws, but that makes it even more attractive.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.