Author Topic: Synthetic Genetic Evolution  (Read 1100 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Synthetic Genetic Evolution
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:33:29 am »
Scientists show that manmade nucleic acids can replicate and evolve, ushering in a new era in synthetic biology.
Synthetic genetic polymers, broadly referred to as XNAs, can replicate and evolve just like their naturally occurring counterparts, DNA and RNA, according to a new study published today (April 19) in Science. The results of the research have implications not only for the fields of biotechnology and drug design, but also for research into the origins of life—on this planet and beyond.

“It’s a breakthrough,” said Gerald Joyce of The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, who was not involved in the study—“a beautiful paper in the realm of synthetic biology.”

“It shows that you don’t have to stick with the ribose and deoxyribose backbones of RNA and DNA in order to have transmittable, heritable, and evolvable information,” added Eric Kool of Stanford University, California, who also did not participate in the research.
http://richarddawkins.net/articles/645700-synthetic-genetic-evolution
I wonder what possibilities this will open up as far as changing how we look for possibilities of life on other planets.  This definitely seems like a huge break through in the science world.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Re: Synthetic Genetic Evolution
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:26:18 pm »
Nucleic acids aren't life! That's only microevolution, not macroevolution! Evolution is only a theory! They still haven't found the missing link! I didn't come from no monkey! Something can't come from nothing! Fish don't give birth to dogs! The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it!