Author Topic: Would you like to date a tank? You can now do it in a Japanese game.  (Read 12513 times)

Even Then

Re: Would you like to date a tank? You can now do it in a Japanese game.
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2016, 02:06:43 am »
I guess it's kinda like there being a manga about Simo Häyhä. Who is a woman in it.

...man, what is it with Japan and making historical figures women?

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2016, 02:52:23 am »
I guess it's kinda like there being a manga about Simo Häyhä. Who is a woman in it.

To be fair, women are cute, and men are quite often ugly.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 09:22:08 am »

To be fair, women are cute, and men are quite often ugly.

You think that's weird?  There's a book that turns historical dictators into moe girls:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-12-03/world-dictators-transformed-into-moe-girls-in-book

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2016, 02:24:33 pm »
Dear gods, UP, that manga's terrifying.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 02:30:44 am »
Japan and World War II have a relationship almost as weird as America's obsession with WWII.

There is also Dies Irae, which involves Nazis who became immortal by using the casualties of the eastern front as part of a spell.

The protagonist apparently has a rivalry with Reinhard Heydrich - and all I need to tell you about how that went for the VN is that 75% of the Pixiv artwork is "Rein x Ren".
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 02:00:36 pm »
Japan and World War II have a relationship almost as weird as America's obsession with WWII.

Nowhere is more obsessed with WWII than Britain, surely?  It's almost impossible to get through a day without encountering some mention of or reference to it.  That's not even much of an exaggeration.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 02:06:55 pm »

Nowhere is more obsessed with WWII than Britain, surely?  It's almost impossible to get through a day without encountering some mention of or reference to it.  That's not even much of an exaggeration.

Well it *is* the last bit of history before everything got communistic and boring.

Late 20th century history is dreary as fuck.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 02:15:20 pm »
That is actually kind of true, I personally find late 20thC history to be one of my least favourite periods.  However I don't think that's why we're obsessed with it so much to the point of almost refusing to move on.

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 03:00:35 pm »
Actually, I think Japan and the UK are obsessed with World War II for the same reason: it's the last time they really got to be an empire, their last real glory days.

As for the US, it's because World War II was the last time we got to pretend to be the "good guys" fighting against the "bad guys".
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2016, 03:07:32 pm »
Actually, I think Japan and the UK are obsessed with World War II for the same reason: it's the last time they really got to be an empire, their last real glory days.

As for the US, it's because World War II was the last time we got to pretend to be the "good guys" fighting against the "bad guys".

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2016, 03:13:24 pm »
Japanese internment camps, the firebombing of various Italian and German cities (as in, the civilian parts) and the nuking of two Japanese cities say yes, pretend. "Not quite as bad as Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan" does not equal "good".

EDIT: Not even bringing up the war crimes of the USSR, who may I remind you, we're on our side.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2016, 03:23:54 pm »
Oh come off it.

The combined death tolls of both atomic bombings AND the Soviet invasion of Manchuria come to about 300'000.

How many japanese citizens do you think would have died in the event of the allies needing to invade the Japanese islands?  We'd be sat here 70 years on bemoaning the "unnecessary" deaths of millions.

Arguments to the contrary are and have always been unmitigated DERP. 

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2016, 03:38:09 pm »
Japanese internment camps,

Those were a black mark on American history, yes, but they're not even remotely comparable to what the Germans and Japanese did.

the firebombing of various Italian and German cities (as in, the civilian parts)

Care to give me a citation?

and the nuking of two Japanese cities

Which was the lesser of two evils.  There were about 200,000 Japanese casualties as a result of the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  A study done for Secretary of War Henry Stimson's staff by William Shockley estimated that subduing Japan through invasion would cost 1.7–4 million American casualties, including 400,000–800,000 fatalities, and five to ten million Japanese fatalities.

say yes, pretend. "Not quite as bad as Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan" does not equal "good".

True.  On the other hand, there's a very big difference between the fundamental nature of American war crimes and those of the Germans or Japanese.  See, when the Western Allies committed war crimes, it was generally a case of going too far in pursuit of legitimate military aims.  For the Axis, on the other hand, the war crimes were committed because they wanted to exterminate the "untermenchen."

Even when extermination wasn't the objective, the British and Americans were nowhere near as awful as the Axis.  For example, people make a big fuss about Dresden, but they conveniently ignore the fact that it was a legitimate military target.  The Nazis, on the other hand, bombed Rotterdam after the Dutch had already surrendered.  And keep in mind, the Dutch were considered "Aryan."

EDIT: Not even bringing up the war crimes of the USSR, who may I remind you, we're on our side.

True, the Red Army committed a lot of really awful atrocities.  However, you were specifically talking about Americans.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2016, 03:39:16 pm »
"Less Bad" != "Good"
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Even Then

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2016, 03:54:44 pm »
Yeah, all pretense of being "good" or "a hero" goes out the window when you bring out the atomic bomb, mate. That's "a marginally lighter shade of grey" at best.