Author Topic: Xbox One  (Read 26946 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Xbox One
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2013, 12:31:48 am »
The Kinect isn't "always on", but it can only be turned off manually. And when the Xbox One is off, the Kinect automatically turns itself on, ostensibly only to listen for the "Xbox On" command. There's no way to really shut it off other than disconnecting it physically from a power source. This may not be possible without unplugging your Xbox itself, in which case you probably can't turn the system on because there doesn't seem to be a physical power button for it (unless you can turn on the console with the controller like the 360).

Even so, I'm heavily concerned with a system that has a camera and microphone that keeps itself turned on even when the system is off and can only be manually paused (they don't say shut off, just that you "pause" the Kinect) when you're using it. No, I DON'T trust Microsoft when they publicly say that nothing leaves the Kinect without your explicit permission. Or that said permission won't be buried in an EULA so that people don't notice that they're agreeing to it. I just plain don't want my system to have a camera and microphone that can be monitoring me at any given time and having nothing but trust in an infamously poorly trusted corporation to reassure me.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2013, 01:33:54 am »
It's good to see Microsoft is actually learning from the utter PR disaster and scrapping the always online aspect. However, until they get rid of the region locking, make the kinect and all of that media center software strictly optional (though admittedly, the PS4 is still guilty of that media center stupidity) and, most importantly, price it to better reflect its capabilities relative to the PS4, I say the PS4 is still hands down the superiour console. Of course, making those changes now would probably be way too costly, since manufacturing has already begun and devs are already making games for the console as it is now, so I suppose it's safe to say that Microsoft is royally fucked. They're never getting out of this lovely hole they dug for themselves, that's for sure.

Offline cheese007

• Bishop
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2013, 02:42:31 am »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2013, 07:58:46 am »
Actually, they got rid of region locks as well. Source: http://www.techhive.com/article/2042445/microsoft-reverses-policies-on-xbox-one-rentals-online-check-ins-and-region-restrictions.html
Well, how about that. In the words of Jim Sterling, Microsoft has gone and pulled an Xbox One80.

Oh, and I almost forgot about the Xbox One's much more hostile stance on self publishing than the PS4. The up and coming AAA releases look snazzy and all, but don't forget about the indies. They can add a hell of lot of gems to the console's library and at this rate, it looks like all of those gems will be on the PS4. Something more for any prospective buyers to consider.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:59:39 am by Art Vandelay »

Distind

« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2013, 03:26:50 pm »
From what I've heard the 360 self publishing wasn't much better than nothing at all. If they're smart they're working out something better for this round. However the first smart decision seems to have happend within the last week, so it'll probably be a bit. Just not their top concern as no one buys a console for some 5 dollar indie game.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2013, 12:18:06 pm »
I just hope the XBOne is as rugged as the first Xbox.  My bro's got one of the initial batch, and barring a DVD drive replacement, it still works just fine.  If it can last even half that long, I'd be a happy camper.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2013, 12:26:31 pm »
I just hope the XBOne is as rugged as the first Xbox.  My bro's got one of the initial batch, and barring a DVD drive replacement, it still works just fine.  If it can last even half that long, I'd be a happy camper.

Or it could be like the 360 and have some obvious manufacturing defect that they never tell anyone about until it causes a gigantic recall, because nobody cared even a little bit about the obvious flaws as long as they could shove the product out.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2013, 12:32:48 pm »

Or it could be like the 360 and have some obvious manufacturing defect that they never tell anyone about until it causes a gigantic recall, because nobody cared even a little bit about the obvious flaws as long as they could shove the product out.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80YFtnTBApU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80YFtnTBApU</a>
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2013, 06:18:12 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80YFtnTBApU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80YFtnTBApU</a>

I think you just won the thread.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2013, 06:57:02 pm »
Shouldn't we send that video to Microsoft?