Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1463251 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #1140 on: September 29, 2012, 10:33:23 pm »
I've decided to have another crack at finally finishing Dragon Age: Origins. Maybe putting it on nightmare difficulty was a bad idea, seeing as I'm dying quite a bit trying to slog through the Kokari Wilds, but I do like a challenge.

I figure things'll become a lot easier once Alistair learns taunt. It'll make life a hell of a lot easier for my archery-focused PC.

Distind

« Reply #1141 on: September 30, 2012, 07:00:42 am »
I've decided to have another crack at finally finishing Dragon Age: Origins. Maybe putting it on nightmare difficulty was a bad idea, seeing as I'm dying quite a bit trying to slog through the Kokari Wilds, but I do like a challenge.

I figure things'll become a lot easier once Alistair learns taunt. It'll make life a hell of a lot easier for my archery-focused PC.
That damn game kicked my ass on normal until I traded a console version in for a PC version.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1142 on: September 30, 2012, 03:44:46 pm »
I need a better computer with a better processor before I can think of tackling Dragon Age Origins again.

Seriously, what kinda game has its battle system set up so that the damage lags up to 15 seconds behind the action?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1143 on: September 30, 2012, 03:50:10 pm »
I need a better computer with a better processor before I can think of tackling Dragon Age Origins again.

Seriously, what kinda game has its battle system set up so that the damage lags up to 15 seconds behind the action?

A poorly-designed one?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1144 on: September 30, 2012, 04:04:58 pm »

A poorly-designed one?

Heh.

Seriously, though, my computer's so bad that even on the lowest settings, large groups of enemies (or, worse, rain) bogs the gameplay down to the point where the damage calculations lag behind everything.  Which makes it very easy to die, let me tell you.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Normandy

• Pope
« Reply #1145 on: September 30, 2012, 05:23:01 pm »
I am way behind the rest of the world on this, but I started playing Portal this weekend.  Really loving it so far.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1146 on: September 30, 2012, 07:34:54 pm »

That damn game kicked my ass on normal until I traded a console version in for a PC version.
I'd love nothing more than to play that game on PC, as the 360 controls are a little less than ideal. However, my laptop struggles to handle even Pentium-era graphics. I can only play Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 in 800x600 and with all but a few texture details turned right down if I want it to run smoothly.

The joys of integrated graphics processing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1147 on: September 30, 2012, 08:22:49 pm »
Starting to think everything in Skyrim has a suicide wish.

Ironbite-everything that attacks me...dies.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1148 on: September 30, 2012, 11:53:46 pm »
Starting to think everything in Skyrim has a suicide wish.

Ironbite-everything that attacks me...dies.

Welcome to every RPG ever ;D

Offline tygerarmy

• Zombie Dog Breeder
  • Pope
  • I'm not naked I'm Tattooed
    • Facebook
« Reply #1149 on: October 01, 2012, 12:39:10 am »
Late game once you've leveled up I agree.

I like how things like giants are really hard to kill until you're level 8-10 depending on your build, but there should be more of that.  The masked Dragon Priests should have higher minimum levels as should certain bosses.  Dragons could be stronger and more dynamic.
And then Bandits and other NPCs could be toned down.  With my Dark Brotherhood character Shadomere became useless.  As he doesn't retreat and the level 40 and 50+ bandits would one or two hit kill him.  And I got tired of having to mark on the map where he died to come pick him up a month later.

Twitter Soldier in sour armor tumblr

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #1150 on: October 01, 2012, 01:16:56 am »
Shadowmere is just following me along whenever I quick travel anywhere.  And then I leave him where he's at.

Ironbite-CAUSE WHO THE FUCK USES HORSES WITHOUT DAWNGUARD ANYWAYS?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1151 on: October 01, 2012, 01:55:43 am »
Shadowmere is just following me along whenever I quick travel anywhere.  And then I leave him where he's at.

Ironbite-CAUSE WHO THE FUCK USES HORSES WITHOUT DAWNGUARD ANYWAYS?

Horse combat is a part of vanilla Skyrim :P

Too bad you can only do it with one-handed weapons and I think bows.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #1152 on: October 01, 2012, 02:09:06 am »
Again I ask, who uses horses anyways?  I haven't seen anything that needed me to be on a horse.  They can't run faster, jump higher or further.  In fact, using a horse is almost an insult to me.

Ironbite-that and it's 1000 septims per horse...fuck me I ain't made of money.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1153 on: October 01, 2012, 02:42:57 am »
One of the reasons I love the mounts, horses in particular, in Ultima Online.  They're faster than people (unless you're a mage with plenty of skill and mana for mark/recall or gate travel), and when trained properly, can at least manage to not fucking die when faced with some opponents.  Granted, unless you get something like a nightmare (no, don't think Nightmare Moon, bronies.  Think the Man-Eating Horses of Diomedes), which can outclass dragons and daemons, it ain't much...but, its better than nothin, and helps if you get hit by a bola.

Oh, and I do so love nightmares in UO.  They are NOT pussies, and not to be fucked with by anything less than a grandmaster tamer with some powerful magic, or powerful backup.  They're also exclusive carnivores...and prefer their meat raw.  They don't look like much in-game, but if you get too close, they'll kill your ass with magical fire, because they're also magic.  And evil.  And almost as intelligent as a god damned dragon.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:47:52 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1154 on: October 01, 2012, 03:58:27 am »
Again I ask, who uses horses anyways?  I haven't seen anything that needed me to be on a horse.  They can't run faster, jump higher or further.  In fact, using a horse is almost an insult to me.

Ironbite-that and it's 1000 septims per horse...fuck me I ain't made of money.

My horses have armor.  And I didn't have to shell out real money for that "privilege" :D

But really, they could stand to be faster.  They do have the advantage of being able to say "Fuck physics" and ride straight up a mountainside though.