Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1463646 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #615 on: June 17, 2012, 12:27:50 pm »
And, yet, no one ever mentions the unsung gem of Westwood that was NoX.

Also, just watch this and Spoony will tell you, at least partially, just how EA fucked Origin.

I have to figure his Ultima 9 rant, and let's face it that's what this is gonna become, is gonna be in quite lengthy and meaty.  I mean this is the game that offically squashed his childhood and made him the man he is today.  This game...this game...this game is un-fucking-believable.

Ironbite-and yes...you know what voice you read that last line.

Spoony's and mine.  You gotta remember, homes, I grew up with Ultima, too.  I was playing Quest of the Avatar before I even went into kindergarten, in fact, Quest of the Avatar for the NES was the first video game I ever played.

While Ultima VIII was a rather glaring example of executive meddling, many of its issues were technical.  In fact, Origin had an expansion (The Lost Vale) ready for duplication before EA pulled the plug on it when they saw that Pagan didn't sell well.  I, personally, enjoyed Pagan for all its flaws.  It was different, yes, drastically different from any previous Ultima game, but it was supposed to be shockingly different, you were supposed to feel isolated, and Pagan achieved that.

Ascension, on the other hand, was so badly contrived thanks to EA's creative fuckery, that we ended up with an abomination.  Fuck, most of the cutscenes weren't even made for the Ultima IX we got, but for a totally fucking different one.  You weren't supposed to go to Britannia, but the Guardian's home world, that's what you saw at the end of Pagan.  Let's not even get into the fact that the person narrating the whole intro area, telling you to not forget your clothes, wasn't the Time Lord, but Hawkwind, the seer from Ultima IV...who is long since dead.

So, yeah...for Ascension alone, EA can go fuck itself with a live grenade.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Distind

« Reply #616 on: June 17, 2012, 01:34:20 pm »
I'm mostly enjoying it, but find some of the things needlessly difficult. (Like not giving the player the shopping list for the explosives maker after picking up the quest. Took me 20 minutes to find it in the circle.) I wish there was a /queststuck feature that would give a hint if the player gets stuck. (I forgot the clue an NPC mentions in a cut scene that tells you who to talk to to advance the Templar story quest. All the journal said was "Talk to the Survivors" to get information. There are a lot of survivors, and I talked to a lot of them (picking up their quests along the way) without finding the 1 I had to talk to. (A question in General chat got me the hint I needed.)
Honestly, I found it kinda cool. Particularly when I talked to the NPC and realized that the game expected thought from me I started handling the missions far better. It is a bit of a pain, but it makes a group of people worth more than just extra fighting power, chat could help clear these things up, mutiple people cover ground faster in circles... but I'm just overly fond of RP being part of an RPG again.

At first, I hated combat since I did not have ranged or AoE (Fist/Chaos). I dropped Chaos for Pistols briefly yesterday, giving me ranged and AoE. Combat is a lot easier now.
Out of all of them Chaos seems to be the biggest pain in the ass, I'm guessing it pays off later. That said Assault Rifle is awesome, particularly after re-binding some of the controls to my mouse using it's programming features. Lock and Load w/ improvement = instant fullpower aoe finisher barrage. Thinking I'll be going that and blood magic for a main. Not to mention it's fastest attack also heals you.

I'm not pre-ordering, but that is mostly because I need to save my money. Hopefully once I get a job, I will be able to pick up the game and start.
I'll let you know if they start up any friend programs, could always be fun.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #617 on: June 17, 2012, 05:08:42 pm »
Anyone know where one might buy a digital copy of American McGee's Alice? I have Alice: Madness Returns, but I kind of want to try out the original game too.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #618 on: June 17, 2012, 05:12:38 pm »
Anyone know where one might buy a digital copy of American McGee's Alice? I have Alice: Madness Returns, but I kind of want to try out the original game too.

I envy you. I have Madness Returns and it won't run well at all on my laptop. I also wanted to try the original though, after seeing the first few cutscenes.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #619 on: June 17, 2012, 05:20:05 pm »
Unfortunately, it doesn't run well on mine either. I had to borrow my brother's laptop in order to play it. That's actually part of the reason I want to get the original -- I'll actually be able to use it regularly.

Edit: Also, I noticed you mentioned playing Thief. Does it run well on your laptop? I've been thinking about getting it, but I'd rather not buy it if it isn't going to be playable with my crappy graphics card.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 05:27:58 pm by Mlle Antéchrist »

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #620 on: June 17, 2012, 05:30:35 pm »
Ah, yeah. Same here. I've only seen the original on Amazon so far.

Edit:

Edit: Also, I noticed you mentioned playing Thief. Does it run well on your laptop? I've been thinking about getting it, but I'd rather not buy it if it isn't going to be playable with my crappy graphics card.

Thief runs well on my laptop. It was out in 1998, I think, so unless your laptop's pretty ancient, it should be fine. It's definitely worth the money.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 05:32:25 pm by Sleepy »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #621 on: June 17, 2012, 05:34:42 pm »
I've had Thief run well on a fairly low-end laptop before, something from like...2003 or so.  Unless your laptop doesn't even have a 3D accelerator card, you should be fine.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #622 on: June 17, 2012, 05:38:05 pm »
Awesome, thanks for the info. Gonna buy it, then.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Juna Starrider

• Apprentice
« Reply #623 on: June 17, 2012, 10:47:54 pm »
For those who love to piss your pants in fright, Fractional Games has something for you......

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bbNmEBya7w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bbNmEBya7w</a>

Trust me, I won`t play it..... but then again, I still have to ask the boyfriend to beat the first boss in Zelda: OoT.  Chicken is my middle name.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #624 on: June 17, 2012, 11:58:30 pm »
I feel this video needs to be shared.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGORttEnzA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGORttEnzA</a>

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #625 on: June 18, 2012, 02:06:44 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jotMV-Xg8HI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jotMV-Xg8HI</a>

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #626 on: June 18, 2012, 08:37:20 am »
Both the Worlds of Ultima games have been released for free on GOG.com, for any interested parties.

Saturn500

« Reply #627 on: June 18, 2012, 03:42:23 pm »
http://www.gamesradar.com/kirby-20th-anniversary-collection-finally-detailed/

As I said about it before: Shut up and take my money!

EDIT: My 3DS came back! And the shoulder buttons are working again! And... wow, that's a lot of StreetPass tags. Only one of them being a girl.

I am so getting that Mario-themed 3DS Pouch from Club Nintendo once I've got the 450 coins needed. https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/28010.do
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:34:44 pm by Saturn500 »

Saturn500

« Reply #628 on: June 20, 2012, 10:44:53 pm »
Sorry for the double post (well, kinda, this post is two days later, but...)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207350/

Buy this! Right now! It's been on Steam for twenty days! It's only twenty dollars! You have no reason not to buy it!

And now that I've gotten that out of my system...

http://www.gamesradar.com/okami-coming-ps3-hd-remaster/

We really need that :swoon: avatar from Something Awful.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #629 on: June 21, 2012, 04:42:32 am »
I really REALLY hate these XBox Live updates.  Every time I have to download one, I can't get back online and have to spend about 20 minutes trying again and again and again.  I messaged them, and they said there shouldn't be a problem, even after I sent them a copy of the actual error.  Ugh!  At least it finally worked, after 20+ minutes!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"