Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1462632 times)

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #480 on: May 24, 2012, 07:19:55 pm »
Red Dead Redemption is gorgeous. It's a serious contender for "prettiest outdoor landscapes in a video game."

That moment at the end of the first act when you step off of the raft and ride into Mexico for the first time while this song plays in the background is absolutely stunning.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #481 on: May 24, 2012, 07:55:01 pm »
Red Dead Redemption is gorgeous. It's a serious contender for "prettiest outdoor landscapes in a video game."

That moment at the end of the first act when you step off of the raft and ride into Mexico for the first time while this song plays in the background is absolutely stunning.

It does look good, but I still think the original Crysis has it beat.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #482 on: May 24, 2012, 08:18:01 pm »
I wish I could love RDR like so many other people but I just can't seem to get into it.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #483 on: May 25, 2012, 12:03:15 am »
RDR is cowboy themed.

I have had cowboys burned out for me since I was a little boy.

Ugh.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Saturn500

« Reply #484 on: May 25, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #485 on: May 25, 2012, 12:55:12 pm »
http://www.gamesradar.com/classic-graffiti-em-jet-set-radio-heading-ps-vita-see-first-screens-here/

Dear Sega: Shut up and take my money!

Jet Set Radio on Xbox Live?! OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #486 on: May 25, 2012, 02:22:59 pm »
RDR is cowboy themed.

Ugh.

I want you to try and count all of the western themed video games you can think of off the top of your head. I can only come up with about 3, and most of them are pretty mediocre.

The old west is a setting that is extremely underused in the video game industry.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #487 on: May 25, 2012, 05:32:52 pm »
Newest patch for Skyrim is going to finally let people fight on horseback.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS2GG2tLh9Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS2GG2tLh9Y</a>

It's about damn time Bethesda.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #488 on: May 25, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »
RDR is cowboy themed.

Ugh.

I want you to try and count all of the western themed video games you can think of off the top of your head. I can only come up with about 3, and most of them are pretty mediocre.

The old west is a setting that is extremely underused in the video game industry.

Like the first World War.  Counting fantastical interpretations of the Great War, the only two games I can think of that contain it as something playable in-game are Red Baron and The Darkness.

We need more World War I games.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #489 on: May 25, 2012, 06:05:26 pm »
RDR is cowboy themed.

Ugh.

Okay... that's nice?

The old west setting (and I repeat: SETTING) is still burned the fuck out for me.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #490 on: May 25, 2012, 06:50:38 pm »
Oh I can't wait for the next Fallout game where you can fight on animal back.

Ironbite-tame Deathclaw?  I AM UNSTOPPABLE!  Until some Tunnlers got me.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #491 on: May 25, 2012, 07:08:03 pm »
RDR is cowboy themed.

Ugh.

Like the first World War.  Counting fantastical interpretations of the Great War, the only two games I can think of that contain it as something playable in-game are Red Baron and The Darkness.

We need more World War I games.

Also, steampunk. We need far more steampunk games.

Come to think of it. Anything besides high fantasy and modern warfare would be a breath of fresh air at this point.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #492 on: May 25, 2012, 07:44:42 pm »
Well, we'd have more steampunk goodness if Eidos Montreal would get off its ass and do some fucking tangible work on Thief IV.  Seriously, at this point, the whole "we're working on Thief IV!" thing was like licking the head of a man's cock after building him up...and then just letting him fucking sit there while you decide whether or not to actually start blowing him.

Lemme give you the rundown...the earliest date stamp on this post, which is the "THIEF IV - OFFICIAL FAQ's THREAD," was 26 November 2009.  It was around this time that it was announced, on the TTLG forums (I can't find the original post for this, unfortunately), that they said they'd begin working on it after the latest Deus Ex game was released.  When was that?  For North America, 23 August 2011.  Nearly a year, and all we have to show for it is a group pic of the god damned dev team, which was last updated 12 March 2012, over 2 months ago.

If I remember correctly, shortly after the 2009 announcement of Thief IV and subsequent purchase of Thief4.com, Renee, the liaison between the Thief fandom and Eidos, said that they were looking for talented developers to make a good dev team for Thief IV.  If we assume they actually started this process a year after the first announcement (I don't have that post, again, can't find it), that still means its taken them roughly 2 years, the average development cycle for most games, just to hire a fucking dev team.

They are being god damned drag-ass about this, and its irritating the fuck outta me.  I know one thing, after this fucking long, they'd better not screw this up, or I'm taking a trip to Canada just to line up every employee of Eidos Montreal, except for the bloody janitors, and give each and every one of them a hard kick in the groin.

It took ANet 5 years to get Guild Wars 2 to a beta state, and at least it looks fucking amazing.

You've got one hell of an IP in Thief, Eidos Montreal.  Don't fuck it up.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:00:36 pm by RavynousHunter »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #493 on: May 25, 2012, 08:02:48 pm »
I do wish Troika hadn't gone under. Arcanum was a brilliant game, it bloody well deserves a sequel, goddamnit.

Come to think of it, it should at least get a decent reboot. Hell, it's at least as good as Fallout so there's no bloody excuse not to.

As for Thief 4, it looks to me like it'll go the way of Duke Nukem Forever, if it gets released at all.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:05:02 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #494 on: May 25, 2012, 08:13:18 pm »
Dude, do you know how quick the TTLGers would turn on Eidos if that happened?  Instantly.  With few exceptions, they're almost the No Mutants Allowed of the Thief fandom, except more pompous.

Shit, I wouldn't be surprised if Thief IV came out, and was everything Thief II was, only with modern graphics and hardware behind it, and they'd bitch because the polygon count's too high.  What they want isn't even Thief, its a pipe dream brought on my too much fanwankery and too little grey matter.

(Can ya tell I really hate most of the TTLG crowd?)