Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1462169 times)

Distind

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #1050 on: September 10, 2012, 07:23:40 pm »
Ya know, in Skyrim, you're basically Jesus.  You really should be able to form your own faction and kick everyone's ass, especially the Thalmoor.  Then again, I have an emphatic hatred for all things Altmer.
I just whoop Ulric's, the thalmor and pretty much everything else's ass while wearing a amulet of Talos. I figure it all balances out. Once genocide is complete there's no further reason to ban his worship.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1051 on: September 10, 2012, 07:39:47 pm »
As a rule, I only use fire against the Altmer.  Especially the Fire Breath thu'um, if I'm up against a group of em.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #1052 on: September 10, 2012, 10:48:42 pm »
Is there any particular game to start with first with Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1053 on: September 10, 2012, 11:12:17 pm »
Eeh, not really.  You get some backstory with the earlier ones, but its pretty much all explained in the in-game books.  They're all pretty much their own, separate games.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #1054 on: September 11, 2012, 12:11:58 am »
Morrowind's probably the strongest if you don't mind dated graphics and like very alien locales AND WILL MURDER ALL CLIFF RACERS. There are also a few hints of what was to come in Oblivion, so that's pretty neat. The expansions, though, are really great. Oblivion had some kind of weh DLCs, and Skyrim's first and second expansions look so underwhelming I think they gave me cancer. But Morrowind's? First class, all the way.

Oblivion's a lot more bland, Merry Olde England sort of thing, although there were certain improvements in how the game handles some things that make it more palatable than Morrowind. This is particularly the case with respect to combat, which in MW was purely about statistics (even if you visibly hit an enemy in MW, it doesn't count unless your skill roll behind the scenes says you hit). Archery is a lot more gooder too. Good choice if you have an older computer, since at this point it can still probably handle all the graphical dealies. Probably the most fun guild questline in any Elder Scrolls game, that for the Dark Brotherhood, is in this game.

Skyrim is probably the best if you want something actiony, since there was clearly a focus on making combat more visceral and cinematic. I feel like it has the weakest guild quest lines, but a lot more emergent stuff and more beautiful terrain to run around in. I've put in a lot of hours just fooling around in all the games, but I feel like Skyrim's been the most consistently attractive to me over time.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1055 on: September 11, 2012, 12:26:33 am »
Morrowind's combat system is kinda bad though, even for the time period.

If you own both Morrowind and Oblivion, though, there is a special mod (I forget what it's called exactly... Morroblivion?) that basically is Morrowind but with Oblivion's physics and gameplay.

It does require data directly from Morrowind's files, though, so you actually do have to have both games in order to play it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1056 on: September 11, 2012, 12:34:58 am »
As part of my current Banjo-Kazooie binge, I've decided finally try and beat Nuts and Bolts. I have to say, I've forgotten how absolutely horrible the physics are in that game. Everything just feels so weightless and the only vehicles that don't handle like ass are boats. I really do like the idea of an adventure game based around building vehicles, it's just the execution is a little sub-par. I do hope that mechanic is used in a future game and done right.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1057 on: September 11, 2012, 12:36:55 am »
Actually, there seem to be plenty of videos of people mastering the mechanics system to make vehicles do things that the game makers couldn't even predict.

Though that might just be MORE evidence of how broken it is.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #1058 on: September 11, 2012, 12:42:33 am »
Ya know, in Skyrim, you're basically Jesus.  You really should be able to form your own faction and kick everyone's ass, especially the Thalmoor.  Then again, I have an emphatic hatred for all things Altmer.

Because Bethesda isn't very good at the whole "choice" thing. Most of the time in Skyrim, the only plot choice you have is either "do the quest" or "don't do the quest", with only slight variations along the way that don't really change much. Like how the Imperial and Stormcloak quest-lines are pretty much exactly the same and change nothing once you've completed them. Bethesda games are really more about world-building and exploration more than anything else, and that's what they're good at.

Now if Obsidian had made the game on the other hand, then you would probably be able to do exactly what you described.

Compare Fallout 3 (Bethesda) to Fallout: NV (Obsidian) in terms of faction choice and you'll see what I'm talking about.

On another note, the Hearthfire add-on is pretty fun. I've spent the last couple days building and customizing my new huge-ass manor.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1059 on: September 11, 2012, 12:45:53 am »
As part of my current Banjo-Kazooie binge, I've decided finally try and beat Nuts and Bolts. I have to say, I've forgotten how absolutely horrible the physics are in that game. Everything just feels so weightless and the only vehicles that don't handle like ass are boats. I really do like the idea of an adventure game based around building vehicles, it's just the execution is a little sub-par. I do hope that mechanic is used in a future game and done right.

I was wondering about Nuts & Bolts, but reading about it, I think I'd be disappointed if I were to play. I can appreciate them trying to be creative by adding new elements to the game, like the vehicle construction, but that's not really my thing.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1060 on: September 11, 2012, 12:48:12 am »
Actually, there seem to be plenty of videos of people mastering the mechanics system to make vehicles do things that the game makers couldn't even predict.

Though that might just be MORE evidence of how broken it is.
You don't need to even come close to mastering the mechanics to break the game. You can build any sort of plane, knock one of the wings off and it'll fly perfectly. You can also slap together the heaviest possibly build you can possibly come up with within the maximum dimensions the game will allow, use a single small engine to drive a small propeller pointed either up or down and you'll have a perfectly functional (if a little hard to handle) helicopter. Then of course there's the fact that you can easily reach areas of the overworld that you're theoretically not supposed to reach until later in the game. It's a little tedious, but you can acquire parts that completely break some of the earlier challenges.

I do wish that game wasn't console exclusive. I'm sure that mods could've improved it by leaps and bounds.
I was wondering about Nuts & Bolts, but reading about it, I think I'd be disappointed if I were to play. I can appreciate them trying to be creative by adding new elements to the game, like the vehicle construction, but that's not really my thing.
Don't get me wrong, it's still a genuinely fun game in its own right, as flawed as it is. If you can find it cheap like I did, it should be worth the price. Just ignore the Banjo-Kazooie aspect or at the very least treat it as a spin-off and you should have a good enough time with it.

In other, Banjo-Tooie related news, fuck clinkers. It took me around fifteen tries to get all of the little fuckers.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:15:32 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1061 on: September 11, 2012, 09:24:01 am »
Update on Old Rebublic:

The story seems good.

I like the light/dark-side choices. Particularly because of the way many of them seem to work on the empire side. You see I was afraid I would simply get the classic Save orphan vs kick the puppy choices -and sometimes that is what I get- but often the choices are a bit smarter. For sith many ligh-side choices are the choices where their actions help the Empire while the dark-side choices are selfish and only help themselves. And the Sith in general are selfish with a insane hunger for more power so having them backstab each other in a struggle for power is in character.

I particularly like when this shows up in the prologue of the imperial agent.
(click to show/hide)

I get the feeling that much of the work done by the non-sith members in the empire is trying to undo the damage done by the sith running wild...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Distind

« Reply #1062 on: September 11, 2012, 09:40:27 am »
Is there any particular game to start with first with Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.
Oblivion and Skyrim have fast travel, Morrowind does not. Oblivion has a GOTY edition that's generally cheap as hell during steam sales. If you're not quite desperate to play I'd say pick up Oblivion next steam sale, unless you like dragons and the kicking of dragon ass, in which case skyrim is worth it. Skyrim's combat's a bit more fun, but you don't get to bunny hop across the country side for shits, giggles and profit like oblivion.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1063 on: September 11, 2012, 02:12:26 pm »
Right.  You can only bunny hop for shits and giggles ;D

At least jumping doesn't take stamina in Skyrim, though I'm sure there's a mod for that in Oblivion.

At least it's not like Morrowind where, if your athletics are low, you run as fast as people walk in Skyrim, and you lose stamina while doing so.

Distind

« Reply #1064 on: September 11, 2012, 04:02:23 pm »
Oh yeah, and I finally realized how to level armor in skyrim without having to do boring things. Don't invest all your skill points in offense. Combat takes more than two hits and is actually quite interesting, in so doing your block and armor skills wind up much higher than one and two shotting everything.

Though little can compare to the glory of the legendary enhanced dwarven cross bow of doom and tripled sneak crit damage, actually fighting has proven to be somewhat enjoyable as well.