Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1463462 times)

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2012, 06:52:51 pm »
New SimCity game is designed to support mods.

Smart move. SimCity 4 has one of the most active modding communities I've ever seen. Mods are what make SimCity 4 the best and most rewarding game in the series, and they're the entire reason that the fans are still playing it almost 10 years after its release.

Without places like Simtropolis, the game wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable as it is.

Now what I'm worried about is that they'll go for a bright, cartoonish style instead of the realistic simulator that I've been waiting for. That's a big part of what turned me off of Spore, and it's what ruined SimCity Societies.

Offline Nightmare172

• Neonate
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2012, 10:30:25 pm »
>_>

Sooooo... who here loves fighters?

Anyone get SFxTK yet? Is it any good?

I'll probably end up getting it used, since I still need to get Soul Calibur 5, the new Blazblue, and Skullgirls.

My wallet hates me. But its another good year for fighters, so...

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #182 on: March 08, 2012, 05:28:58 pm »
I wish any of those were available on Wii.

Or that I knew someone around here whose 360/PS3 I can play. >.>
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2012, 06:26:45 pm »
Turbine's running a sale on DDO, 200 points off Drow (which nobody buys, anyway) and Warforged.  Which is fucking sweet, as it means I was finally able to get access to the Warforged!  Fired up a new Warforged Sorcerer on Ghallanda...because I happened to be listening to a certain Amon Amarth song whilst making him, I decided to make him a prospective Air Savant.  I'm just sad I couldn't give him a Norse name, as all the good ones were taken.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2012, 08:58:46 pm »
Air savants are awesome.

As are earth savants.

*cuddles his half-elf Earth Savant*

Who's a good "Master DoTer"?  Who'sa good Master Doter?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2012, 10:47:21 pm »
I started playing Heroes of Might & Magic V last night.  Not liking the switch to 3D at all :(

Art Vandelay

« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2012, 02:10:56 am »
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but if not then I have some horrible news. It seems Terraria's developers have essentially abandoned it in its current state. Not that Terraria as it is right now isn't a great game, but goddamnit, after all the amazing shit they added in 1.1 and the various ideas they had for future updates, it could've been so much more.

I'm quite sad right now.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2012, 03:13:43 am »
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but if not then I have some horrible news. It seems Terraria's developers have essentially abandoned it in its current state. Not that Terraria as it is right now isn't a great game, but goddamnit, after all the amazing shit they added in 1.1 and the various ideas they had for future updates, it could've been so much more.

I'm quite sad right now.
Welcome to Starbound

Art Vandelay

« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2012, 03:20:07 am »

I'm quite sad right now.
Welcome to Starbound
Well, it certainly has potential, though I'll reserve judgement until it's released.

Though it'll never replace what Terraria could've been.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2012, 03:26:04 am »
I keep seeing rave reviews for Terraria, but I'm still not quite sure what the game is all about. Can someone fill me in?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2012, 03:31:56 am »
At a glance it looks and plays like a 2D Minecraft, but in practice there's just so much more too it than that. I'm shitty at explaining things like this so if you've got a good bit of time on your hands then I believe this Let's Play and its sequel should give you a good idea of what it's about.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2012, 01:50:06 pm »
It's essentially a 2D Platformer deconstruct-reconstruct world, similar to Minecraft.  It also happens to have some things that are similar to Minecraft, and the fact that night time is when you either have shelter or die.

That's where the similarities end.  There's bosses and many more constructables and liquid physics (which are MUCH easier to do in a 2D game than a 3D game, let me tell you) so that you can actually drain lakes or make aquariums and stuff like that.

It's actually less about construction-for-the-sake-of-it and more about let's-freaking-survive-so-we-can-get-to-the-next-level-of-power
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2012, 07:01:27 pm »
It's essentially a 2D Platformer deconstruct-reconstruct world, similar to Minecraft.  It also happens to have some things that are similar to Minecraft, and the fact that night time is when you either have shelter or die.
Strictly speaking, that's only at the very beginning of the game. Once you have even a wooden broadsword, you can easily survive outside at night, if only because the knock-back is enough to keep demon eyes and zombies at bay.

In Minecraft, creepers are always a threat, even with full diamond gear.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2012, 10:17:56 pm »
Thanks for the info. I might buy the game, 'cause it sounds fun.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2012, 10:30:16 pm »
>_>

Sooooo... who here loves fighters?

Anyone get SFxTK yet? Is it any good?

I'll probably end up getting it used, since I still need to get Soul Calibur 5, the new Blazblue, and Skullgirls.

My wallet hates me. But its another good year for fighters, so...

I'm never gonna touch SFxTK.  I wanted to get it but seeing as how the DLC characters were already on the disc, you just get to pay extra to unlock them, screw that. That is a big fiasco I don't wanna touch.

Capcom today admitted that the 12 Street Fighter X Tekken characters announced as PlayStation Vita exclusives are actually included on the discs of the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC versions of the game to be sold as downloadable content.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/capcom-explains-street-fighter-x-tekken-on-disc-dlc-6364712

Screw Capcom
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!