Author Topic: Quinnspiracy  (Read 59329 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Quinnspiracy
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:13:13 pm »
Something tells me this is going to be one of the biggest scandals in the history of gaming journalism.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Quinnspiracy
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 11:15:25 pm »
I have no context for this, so some links and summaries would be appreciated.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:19:35 pm »
I have no context for this, so some links and summaries would be appreciated.
This is a good place to start:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/quinnspiracy

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 05:09:56 am »
So the gaming community threw another little hissy fit because some woman pimped herself out to get good reviews for her game.
It is such a non issue its astounding. All big publishers sweeten the deal with game reviewers. Of course they have lots of money to bribe as well as to pay hot marketing employees, but the principle is always the same. It is a very unfortunate truth of how business works these days.

Her only real "crime" was getting caught. That, and cheating on her then boyfriend, but that's really their own issue.

On a side note, I gave her game a poke, the music was immensely annoying and it lacked any real hook. It was more like reading a boring wikipedia article than a game. I think the problem was that the games narrative just lumped a character on you without letting you explore and discover the character yourself. it just gives you a textual background to all the ups and downs of that persons life, making them very distant and boring.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 05:29:13 am »
Something tells me this is going to be one of the biggest scandals in the history of gaming journalism.
...Really? If it were actual journalists, maybe. But this is Kotaku we're talking about. If you expect impartial reviews from then, well, you've got rocks in your head.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 06:10:16 am »
Biggest scandal as in "the most despicaple story" or "most talked about scandal?"

Because I think ME3 ending caused more talk and unless this starts to grow this won't be more popular than that one or any other non-story.

But yes, this is a rather sad story of corruption in game journalism. Not a SUPRISING story mind you, but it does show that game journalists (and this probably goes for other journalists as well) are not above corruption.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 07:20:21 am »
Gaming "journalism" really is a fucking sack of shit. I would hope that this would be the straw that breaks the camels back and forces them to sort their shit out, but I'm not that hopeful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 12:21:40 pm »
Honestly, from what I've been reading we only have her ex-boyfriend's tale to go on.  No real truth she did the nasty with 5 guys in order for her crappy ass game to get good reviews.

Ironbite-fact that he broke this on 4chan tells me a lot.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 01:01:35 pm »
Also UP, next time you might wanna link to things that not a whole lot of people round here have even heard about.  Not everybody is like me and can read minds via computer.

Ironbite-btw...go to confession you dirty dirty dirty man.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 02:36:31 pm »
Also UP, next time you might wanna link to things that not a whole lot of people round here have even heard about.  Not everybody is like me and can read minds via computer.

Yea, I had no idea what this was about until the link.

Also, when I said this was proof of corruption in game-press... To be honest, the pure and simple fact is that some companies have bought good reviews for their games from some magazines/websites for years and that is pretty common knowledge.

Before the Internet, there also used to be a lot of "reviews" of games that hadn't been published yet. The magazines were competing over who was the first to review "Big game X" and rather than risking delaying their printing of the next number or letting another magazine be the first to review, if the game would come out JUST after they put their paper into print but before the next month issue, they would make up a review using whatever information and pictures were available before the release. Just pull some bullshit and write a vague review. (I think some magazine had a review almost a year before the game was eventually published.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 03:56:01 pm »
Shit, if you want a prime example of how the industry fucks over the integrity of gaming journalism, look no further than this video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0</a>
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 04:27:17 pm »
Youtube, and Google in general, are proof that our copyright laws are borked and desperately need fixing.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 07:56:25 pm »
Phil Fish has made a ass of himself yet again with this, and I presume he did indeed sleep with Quinn.

I have compared my sex life to his, and I have yet to kill myself.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:00:58 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 08:23:43 pm »
You know, I may've heard somewhere that sex is good for depression. Maybe this is just Quinn's attempt at viral marketing?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 10:23:11 pm »
Shit, if you want a prime example of how the industry fucks over the integrity of gaming journalism, look no further than this video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0</a>

I remember a shitlord name Spax or something a while back (several years) on youtube who, when anyone so much as mentioned him unfavorably or called him out on the fact that he was being a massive shitlord, would fire of DMCA claims out the ass to silence those who criticized him. Several channels I watched back then got hit and a few had to restart under new names, multiple times. Needless to say, this caused people to not only call him a much more massive shitlord, but also cite fair use and other laws during their videos, to make sure he knew the shenanigans he pulled wasn't really legal. This was all facilitated, if I remember right, even though he was kind of young (like 14-16 if I remember right, it's been a while) because he had a fake company and and a lawyer for a mom. Lovely little shit, eh? Of course, as I said, it's been a while and I might be mis-remembering thinks or confusing multiple shit flingers together. I wasn't very involved in it, and I was myself young at the time. I just remember the shit coming up on channels I watched sometimes and I heard snippets of what drama had gone on.

For those curious, the channels I'm refering to are, amoung others, RandomDCE, Darknessthecurse,BigAl2k6, and He11sing920. I know at least Darkness and BigAl lost their old channels long ago and are now under different names. I think Darkness' new name is TheSaneRevelation. I happened to look DCE up the other day for nostalgia's sake, and while I found him still active, he had discontinued the video series I loved him for long ago. It's a shame Darkness' original channel is long gone, because he had a wonderful video tearing in to a fundy list of things that are signs that your child is satanic.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov