Author Topic: Woman lives "biblically" for a year  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Re: Woman lives "biblically" for a year
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 04:12:03 am »
While it's true that the Pope's word is not as absolute divine truth, the fact remains that the Church is still considered infallable and anything decided by a church council is to be considered God's Word.

Which is the main reason why I am not Catholic. I don't think a bunch of old guys in robes have any authority to interpret the actions of the divine. Also anything I've done wrong is exclusively between me and God. An old pedophile in a booth has no business being involved..

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 01:19:40 pm »
Pope's Word is absolute law.

Oddly enough, the Episcopal Church is more liberal than the tree it's a branch of (Anglican Church) because in the Episcopal Church, we've had women priests for... how long?  In the Anglican Church, that's still an issue of sore contention for some reason.

You know altar boys? The kids that help out around the altar? Vatican II allowed for both female and male altar kids. Catholic Churches (I would say community, but to ROman Catholics, the Church=It's Community. The building is highly unimportant to worship.), as a whole, have been excommunicated for not allowing female altar kids. It still took a whopping 50 years (2010) to finally decide that they'd prefer not to be excommunicated and allow female altar kids. Just to show you how resistant some folks are to change.

Pope, by the way, isn't the Catholic Emperor or something. He can make, very occasionally, with very strict rules and definitions, make a statement that is inerrant. I can't remember the exact rules (Except it requires him to sit in a specific chair), but not everything the pope says is law or even without falsehood. But if the Pope decided something without a council, it generally is not law by tradition. Sorta... the evolution thing is that way. The Pope, John Paul II, believed in evolution and established guidelines for Catholic belief on it, but it wasn't part of Vatican II (That was the last major council that really shook things up in the church) and it's not heresy/excommunicable to not believe in Evolution for a Catholic. Why a Catholic would not is really annoying thought, though.

Honestly, if the Catholic Church allowed women priests, allowed homosexuals to marry, and allowed contraception I'd probably still be part of it (Lack of reason to dig and bring up other contentions). Though they do tend to have a much better stance on most homosexuals than most hardliners. No marriage, but they understand it's not a choice and there's no sin in being attracted to the same sex. There's no sin in the attraction, just the action. It's not wodnerful, but it does show they are grappling with the subject better than fundies.

Basically this. I learned evolution in my Catholic school, and quite frankly got a better science education there than I did in public middle school - and my teacher wasn't even a teacher with a degree, he was a twenty-three year old medical student. Personally I find that Catholicism (extremist fundies like those in my church excluded) tend to be more liberal than, say, certain sects of Protestantism.

BTW, papal infallibility has only been invoked something like four times in the history of its existence. There's a certain ceremony involved.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 02:04:16 pm »
I knew it was rare as hell, but thanks for the information.

While it's true that the Pope's word is not as absolute divine truth, the fact remains that the Church is still considered infallable and anything decided by a church council is to be considered God's Word.

Which is the main reason why I am not Catholic. I don't think a bunch of old guys in robes have any authority to interpret the actions of the divine. Also anything I've done wrong is exclusively between me and God. An old pedophile in a booth has no business being involved..

There's good priests, there's bad priests. There's good bishops, there's bad bishops. There's good cardinals, there's bad cardinals. There's good popes, and there's 1500s popes. Though the Church has rewritten old rules and overturned old councils with new decisions. I've never been told the church is infallible when it comes to councils and the like. I think that's the point of tradition, to allow changes due to changing world.

I think Catholics stand somewhere between conservative protestants and liberal ones. I don't know enough about orthodoxy to make a comment on their position, but I hear they tend to be more liberal than most evanglicals.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 12:35:54 am »
I think Catholics stand somewhere between conservative protestants and liberal ones. I don't know enough about orthodoxy to make a comment on their position, but I hear they tend to be more liberal than most evanglicals.

Not even "tend." Keep in mind that there are no Catholic megachurches, Catholic extremism isn't about taking the Church's teachings to their logical conclusion but instead going against them because apparently Vatican II was a Masonic Jewish plot, and the one Catholic ex-gay thing I could find isn't about converting gay people to straight people, but about gay men being abstinent.