Author Topic: Woman lives "biblically" for a year  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Woman lives "biblically" for a year
« on: October 30, 2012, 12:38:43 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTNb_udVV5U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTNb_udVV5U</a>

This was raised in the video, but I really can't wrap my head around somebody living strictly to the absurd biblical laws and not seriously re-considering her faith.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:54:45 pm by Dakota Bob »

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
Re: Woman lives "biblically" for a year
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 12:50:29 pm »
The video's been removed, what did it involve?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:55:12 pm »
Sorry about that, fixed the link. is it working now?

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 03:23:00 pm »
Works just fine now.

(click to show/hide)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:13:44 pm »
A minute into the video and I couldn't help but think "This lady is crazy".
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 06:25:41 am »
Wearing more than 3 types of fabrics, wearing makeup.  Just like every other fundie, she picks and chooses what to follow, especially considering that she jumps around the Bible in the first place.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 08:38:35 am »
Wait, is this about Rachel Held Evans?  I love that woman! :D
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 02:37:45 pm »
Why most christians do not live biblically. 50%, the Catholic Faith, basically consider the bible as divinely inspired but not without errors and translations mistakes, the fact Jesus wiped some rules out, some things are intended for Jews only... lots of things negating a lot fo the rules. Even if they tend to be silly on conservative issues (Women priests is a real wall banger, even theologically), they do believe in evolution, big bang, and other science facts. Also, social justice tends to be a huge deal to them... probably why Catholics vote more dem (By a small percentage) than Rep in America.

Some Christians go even further to completely disregard the bible since it is old lens upon the idea of a benevolent deity. Without removing the moniker Christian. That would imply at least a small majority are not biblical Christians.

Despite being agnostic, I tend to view bible worshipers as non-christians because they tend to just seek reasons to justify things they want they can't justify with science and stats. As opposed to trying to understand how the idea of a benevolent God applies to the here and now.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:59:45 pm »
Fun fact: When I was a fundamentalist (on my way out the door), I actually reached a sort of realization that people spent more time worshiping the Bible and placed it on a higher pedestal than God himself.  This was uncomfortable for me.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 12:22:39 am »
Fun fact: When I was a fundamentalist (on my way out the door), I actually reached a sort of realization that people spent more time worshiping the Bible and placed it on a higher pedestal than God himself.  This was uncomfortable for me.

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that.  Weird, isn't it?

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 08:40:45 am »
[Catholics] even if they tend to be silly on conservative issues (Women priests is a real wall banger, even theologically), they do believe in evolution, big bang, and other science facts.

I remember that. Pope John Paul II pretty much said science was god revealing himself to the world. Genesis 1 was symbolic, 7 days representing something other than a calender week.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 09:31:20 am »
[Catholics] even if they tend to be silly on conservative issues (Women priests is a real wall banger, even theologically), they do believe in evolution, big bang, and other science facts.

I remember that. Pope John Paul II pretty much said science was god revealing himself to the world. Genesis 1 was symbolic, 7 days representing something other than a calender week.

Genesis 1-5 is considered entirely symbolic, as by the Catholic church. While Catholics are taught to believe in things like Jesus and others doing miracles, there are quite a few things that are mostly allegorical or symbolic, as by Catholic church. Not everyone is Sola Scriptora and that was one of the divisions between Catholics and early brand protestants. Unfortunately... only relying on the bible for guidance is a poor plan for remaining adaptable. Believing it's inerrant and it's the only source of divine inspiration just adds to the insanity.

Also means that [sola scriptora] Prostestants get less St. Augustines and St. Thomas of Aquinas, number one because they don't have saints and number two because tradition is in no way meaningful to sola scriptora types. If I remember correctly, Anglicans still have saints and still have some weight placed on tradition, so not all protestants are sola scriptora. I know when I was being brought up Catholic, there was basically as much emphasis placed on Lives of Saints as there was the bible, and mostly NT. Not to say we ignored OT... just much like the 1500s papacy, it was viewed with much shame.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 03:20:07 pm »
Having attended an Episcopal church before my Christian faith went poof, they're actually a pretty decent bunch of folks.

Think of Catholicism... only more liberal and without a pope whose word is absolute law.  I don't think they have a vatican, either.

Oddly enough, the Episcopal Church is more liberal than the tree it's a branch of (Anglican Church) because in the Episcopal Church, we've had women priests for... how long?  In the Anglican Church, that's still an issue of sore contention for some reason.

Also, when it comes to what the Episcopal Church considers "sin", the most emphasized one in common daily life was "Gossip" as being particularly bad -- namely because of the immense harm it can cause.  Other than that, the emphasis was more on community, fellowship, and ritual, rather than the lives of its parishioners (unless said parishioner was in a bad way and needed help)

I miss the Episcopal church...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 07:33:08 pm »
My view is this: While God did inspire the Bible, He also created the universe. Therefore, anything discovered by studying the universe should carry as much weight as anything discovered through studying scripture.

This would, however, rule out a lot of fundie view on evolution and homosexuality, but I think we can all live with that.

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 12:56:08 pm »
Pope's Word is absolute law.

Oddly enough, the Episcopal Church is more liberal than the tree it's a branch of (Anglican Church) because in the Episcopal Church, we've had women priests for... how long?  In the Anglican Church, that's still an issue of sore contention for some reason.

You know altar boys? The kids that help out around the altar? Vatican II allowed for both female and male altar kids. Catholic Churches (I would say community, but to ROman Catholics, the Church=It's Community. The building is highly unimportant to worship.), as a whole, have been excommunicated for not allowing female altar kids. It still took a whopping 50 years (2010) to finally decide that they'd prefer not to be excommunicated and allow female altar kids. Just to show you how resistant some folks are to change.

Pope, by the way, isn't the Catholic Emperor or something. He can make, very occasionally, with very strict rules and definitions, make a statement that is inerrant. I can't remember the exact rules (Except it requires him to sit in a specific chair), but not everything the pope says is law or even without falsehood. But if the Pope decided something without a council, it generally is not law by tradition. Sorta... the evolution thing is that way. The Pope, John Paul II, believed in evolution and established guidelines for Catholic belief on it, but it wasn't part of Vatican II (That was the last major council that really shook things up in the church) and it's not heresy/excommunicable to not believe in Evolution for a Catholic. Why a Catholic would not is really annoying thought, though.

Honestly, if the Catholic Church allowed women priests, allowed homosexuals to marry, and allowed contraception I'd probably still be part of it (Lack of reason to dig and bring up other contentions). Though they do tend to have a much better stance on most homosexuals than most hardliners. No marriage, but they understand it's not a choice and there's no sin in being attracted to the same sex. There's no sin in the attraction, just the action. It's not wodnerful, but it does show they are grappling with the subject better than fundies.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:59:35 pm by Material Defender »