Author Topic: What’s going on with fstdt.com?  (Read 23097 times)

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
Re: What’s going on with fstdt.com?
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2018, 10:43:41 pm »
I hadn't seen any warning either in the most recent OT thread. Something that concerned me though was before the site went down the Fundie of the year 2k17 was going on, but there had been no new updates on that for several weeks leading up to this downtime.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2018, 11:54:35 pm »
I doubt its intentional.  If the site were going down permanently, we'd be redirected to some domain registrar or something.  As it is, it looks like something broke in the backend while Shy's absent.

As it is, it looks like something broke in the backend while Shy's absent.

Well, it's going on a month now and there's been no word.  I've likewise been trying to find people like Anon-E-Moose by using Google but can't find him either.

I did regularly visit the part of the site where Shy chatted and there was no mention or warning.  This is what has me privately worried.

I know! I wonder if it was hacked by some wingnut hacker....perhaps some smelly 4Chan /pol/ jerk or something?

Shy's probably so busying fixing things that it could take months. Remember; FSTDT is VAST and goes back many years!

Shy could at least take a break, say hi and give a quick explanation of what the heck's going on.

I miss my FSTDTs buds, there like Anon-e-moose.

Hey MOOSE! If you're out there, come here, okay?

Maybe the next thing to do is go through the member list on this forum (could be time consuming, I know) to locate familiar names and page them over here to discuss?

Good idea!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2018, 10:58:49 am »
If I'm reading the error it gives correctly, then do NOT qualify whomever did this (assuming this wasn't just a freak bug, which happens a LOT) with the term "hacker."  Because, if that is the case, then its likely the mainpage was the victim of a SQL injection attack, which any asshole with 2 minutes and access to Wikipedia can accomplish.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2018, 11:10:07 am »
Even with my limited knowledge of such things I never got the impression it was a hacker, although I did wonder why something that worked just fine for so long without any ugly error screens suddenly starting giving them.
Banana Monster ne répond plus!

Offline Tricky Fox

• Neonate
  • never the same guy twice
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2018, 08:40:21 am »
Even with my limited knowledge of such things I never got the impression it was a hacker, although I did wonder why something that worked just fine for so long without any ugly error screens suddenly starting giving them.
As I've said, my current conspiracy theory is shy pulled a "make it look like an accident"
Yeah, him.

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2018, 11:35:37 am »
As I've said, my current conspiracy theory is shy pulled a "make it look like an accident"

I would be inclined to give shy the benefit of the doubt since he was very eager to take the site over from Distind when the time came to do so, and he did revamp it and update it and give it a fresh coat of paint, and in my limited conversations with him I got the impression he was very into it.

It was only starting around January or so that I noticed it was starting to suffer a bit, things I would submit wouldn't be approved for a week or so...there would be hardly any new content for long stretches, then all of a sudden there would be an avalanche of new stuff to read (which was a bit of a bummer because it was either feast or famine - too much to wade through when there was a glut, and nothing at all when no one was approving stuff).

I'm legitimately worried about shy, and my gut tells me that he didn't and wouldn't just abandon the site.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2018, 06:02:17 pm »

I would be inclined to give shy the benefit of the doubt since he was very eager to take the site over from Distind when the time came to do so, and he did revamp it and update it and give it a fresh coat of paint, and in my limited conversations with him I got the impression he was very into it.

It was only starting around January or so that I noticed it was starting to suffer a bit, things I would submit wouldn't be approved for a week or so...there would be hardly any new content for long stretches, then all of a sudden there would be an avalanche of new stuff to read (which was a bit of a bummer because it was either feast or famine - too much to wade through when there was a glut, and nothing at all when no one was approving stuff).

I'm legitimately worried about shy, and my gut tells me that he didn't and wouldn't just abandon the site.

This is... kind of a pattern, actually. Yahweh took over after WinAce passed away, and I think she was probably very excited about it (I wasn't around back then, but I've heard accounts), and then she burnt out and basically dropped the ball on the site and it kind of died. Distind took over with some extraordinary effort from other users to get in contact with Yahweh, and then progressively got burnt out on the forums (which is why I'm here) and then eventually of the main site, and Shy picked it up. If Shy in turn got burnt out, well. Not that surprising, all things considered.
Σא

Offline Tricky Fox

• Neonate
  • never the same guy twice
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2018, 07:07:45 pm »

This is... kind of a pattern, actually. Yahweh took over after WinAce passed away, and I think she was probably very excited about it (I wasn't around back then, but I've heard accounts), and then she burnt out and basically dropped the ball on the site and it kind of died. Distind took over with some extraordinary effort from other users to get in contact with Yahweh, and then progressively got burnt out on the forums (which is why I'm here) and then eventually of the main site, and Shy picked it up. If Shy in turn got burnt out, well. Not that surprising, all things considered.
If he is burnt out, fine but at least do the decent thing and tell us so it can get straightened out
Yeah, him.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2018, 07:16:01 pm »
It just sucks he's gone and disappeared on us. Burnout definitely makes sense (though it was surprisingly shorter than the others, but eh people are different)

Anyone else here know code? I'm very much a beginner/student level so I don't think I'd be able to make a new one.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2018, 09:24:26 pm »
Yo.  Been doin this shit for 16 years, fluent in multiple languages and multiple technologies and have worked in both Windows and Linux environments, though I quite prefer the former.  Dunno if anyone else here might also be able to help...it'd be nice, lol.

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2018, 10:45:49 pm »
Yo.  Been doin this shit for 16 years, fluent in multiple languages and multiple technologies and have worked in both Windows and Linux environments, though I quite prefer the former.  Dunno if anyone else here might also be able to help...it'd be nice, lol.

Did you post in the Reddit (about FSTDT) recently?  I thought you had but don't see the post now.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2018, 10:49:51 pm »

I only have a little coding experience, sorry. But I might be able to find someone who can help.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2018, 06:43:49 am »

Did you post in the Reddit (about FSTDT) recently?  I thought you had but don't see the post now.

I did, indeed.  Its still at the top of the list, from what I'm seeing.

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2018, 10:41:16 am »
I did, indeed.  Its still at the top of the list, from what I'm seeing.

Huh.  Must be something wrong at my end.
I'd really like to reach out to all these people around the internet saying "what happened to my FSTDT" and tell them we're working on it.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2018, 01:01:27 pm »
If I'm reading the error it gives correctly, then do NOT qualify whomever did this (assuming this wasn't just a freak bug, which happens a LOT) with the term "hacker."  Because, if that is the case, then its likely the mainpage was the victim of a SQL injection attack, which any asshole with 2 minutes and access to Wikipedia can accomplish.

Maybe "hacker" was too strong a word. I just used the first word that comes to mind when I think "Person who enters computer program in a sneaky way to mess with it for good or ill".