Author Topic: Mass shooting in a gay club in Florida  (Read 20966 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Mass shooting in a gay club in Florida
« on: June 12, 2016, 09:45:23 am »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/06/12/shooting-orlando-club/85785254/

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/

Approximately 20 people are dead inside Pulse, a gay nightclub, Orlando Police Chief John Mina said Sunday morning, just hours after a shooter opened fire in the club. At least 42 people have been transported for medical treatment, he said.
Police have shot and killed the gunman, Mina told reporters.
"It's appears he was organized and well-prepared," the chief said, adding that the shooter had an assault-type weapon, a handgun and "some type of (other) device on him."
At least nine officers were involved in the shootout, Mina said. Several coroner vans were seen traveling toward the nightclub.

The shooting began around 2 a.m., and an officer who was working at the club responded, Mina said. The officer engaged in a shootout outside the club, after which the gunman ran into the club.
"That turned into a hostage situation," Mina said.

Horrible act of violence. There are also suspicions that this may have been a terrorist attack but we may have to wait a while before the police are ready to reveal more.

EDIT: Updates http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/12/florida-gay-nightclub-shooting-injuries-reported-at-pulse-orland/

50 dead this is now officially the worst mass shooting in the US history. The shooter was called Omar Mateen and he had a history of being suspected of terrorism and known to have hated gay people.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:07:32 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Re: Mass shooting in a gay club in Florida
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:16:49 pm »
So is the NRA going to go around saying that we shouldn’t ban guns because if gay people and other minorities all had guns then hate crimes wouldn’t happened? Or does that only apply to straight white men?

Anyway I'm going to say what I say every time there's a mass shooting.  We shouldn’t bring up information about the killer. A great deal of research has gone into the psychology of mass shooters and the conclusion is they are narcissistic little turds who commit the shootings because they want to receive mass attention and are inspired by watching other mass shooters get wall to wall media coverage. heres a great article on the topic http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303309504579181702252120052

When faced with mass shootings and terrorist attacks, always remember: Don’t Feed The Trolls.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 12:21:41 pm »
This is horrifying. I've already seen people referring to the club as "the devil's workshop" due to the nature of it, and it's infuriating.

I will say I'm impressed by the helmet that took a bullet for that police officer. A life saved, at least.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 12:38:44 pm »
The only "plus" to this is that because it was a gay club we won't be seeing any reaction from neo-Nazis.

And I bet they're thanking God it wasn't one of their ilk who did it.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 02:20:04 pm »
Ugh. This is terrible. 50 people killed just for being LGBT.

I'm going to make a really cynical (but sadly true) prediction: Donald Trump is going to exploit this tragedy in an attempt to get LGBT people on his side (with his "Ban Muslims!" platform and all).

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 02:35:20 pm »
Ugh. This is terrible. 50 people killed just for being LGBT.

I'm going to make a really cynical (but sadly true) prediction: Donald Trump is going to exploit this tragedy in an attempt to get LGBT people on his side (with his "Ban Muslims!" platform and all).

There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 03:03:54 pm »
Tough = killing all muslims and their families.
Vigilant = banning all muslims from entering the country.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Even Then

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 03:18:00 pm »
"when will we start excluding an entire religion from our nation because a promille of a promille of a promille of them have committed terrorist acts in the West"

Fuck this clown.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 03:18:28 pm »
Promille?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Even Then

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 03:19:49 pm »
Right, they call that something else in English. I meant "permille".

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 03:39:02 pm »
Not sure who I'm angrier at.  Trump for being a walking peice of human garbage or the Lt. Gov of Texas who tweeted "you reap what you sow" about this.

Ironbite-I think.....*flips a coin* Bernie Sanders?  The fuck magical coin of decision making?

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 03:46:19 pm »
"when will we start excluding an entire religion from our nation because a promille of a promille of a promille of them have committed terrorist acts in the West"

Fuck this clown.

I'm sure the families of the deceased will be very heartened to know that "Not all..."™

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 03:49:35 pm »

Fuck this clown.

I'm sure the families of the deceased will be very heartened to know that "Not all..."™

I'm sure you care about the deceased and their families past making a pointless jab.
Σא

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 03:52:21 pm »

Fuck this clown.

I'm sure you care about the deceased and their families past making a pointless jab.

This thread managed all of two responses before it reverted to the script of "herp-a-derp irrelevant stuff about neonazis and donald trump".  Not a...whole lot of sympathy for the victims in the posts above mine.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 04:20:39 pm »

Fuck this clown.

This thread managed all of two responses before it reverted to the script of "herp-a-derp irrelevant stuff about neonazis and donald trump".  Not a...whole lot of sympathy for the victims in the posts above mine.

As it turns out, people exist outside the context of this thread. I know enough about most of the people posting here that I don't have cause to doubt what they feel about this. That this is a tragedy is, to most of us, an obvious background fact that doesn't need stating, so understandably the conversation can move to other aspects.

You, on the other hand... I don't know how you feel about the LGBT community. Maybe you're gay. Maybe you have several trans friends. Or maybe you don't. Like I said, I don't know you.
Σא