Author Topic: Multiquote  (Read 6619 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Multiquote
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:58:53 pm »
Okay, so as far as I can tell, this forum doesn't have this mechanism.  However, I've seen some double posts just to quote many people around so if it's even feasibly to make or implement easily, I think it should.

On another forum I go to, there's this feature called "Multiquote."  This feature allows you to click a little button on the top right of each post and instead of immediately going to post, prepares that post for a quote.  You then proceed to select the other posts you want to quote and when you've got every post you want, you hit quote and a reply box appears with all of the posts you've selected in their respective quote tags, in the order that you selected them when Multiquoting.  So basically it queues up a few posts for you and then slaps them into a reply.

I'd help with developing one myself, but I'm not as familiar with the inner working of forum code/databases as I'd like to be.  Beyond that, I really can't focus on extraneous work because of my class schedule.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Multiquote
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:04:27 pm »
You know you can hit the quote button for each post you want to quote and those quotes will appear in the quick reply box? If you need posts on a previous page you can just hit quote and copy+paste into the quick-reply then hit quote again for the ones on the current page. Because I don't think multiquote works across multiple pages. It hasn't every time I've used it.

The way of doing it on the old forums was a lot harder since the quoted material was taken to a totally new page rather than a quick reply box.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 08:56:44 am »
Because I don't think multiquote works across multiple pages. It hasn't every time I've used it.
Quick reply quotes are not true multiquote in that sense.

vBulletin has a Multiquote feature that spreads across multiple pages. So it is not a technical impossibility. It is just a matter of implementation. Which could be a big deal here, unless there is already an approved multiquote extension for Simple Machines.
-A Pen Name

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:58:52 am »
Yeah, I imagine it's possible but the module hasn't been toggled. Keiro will have more information. Or Nap. I'll leave it to them. Until then... well, the quick reply thing will have to do. lol

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:13:03 am »
There isn't such a module for SMF. And what there is, has to be hacked to be updated to the new version of SMF.

I'm still working on this.
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 10:44:52 am »
There isn't such a module for SMF. And what there is, has to be hacked to be updated to the new version of SMF.

I'm still working on this.
So one might be coming? Cool! In that case, I have something to look forward to.
-A Pen Name

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:45:50 am »
Yup, once I figure out what's making it die. I'm not an expert with SMF coding, but I have started to understand how SMF works in a general way.
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:50:04 am »
Sweet!

Have I ever told you how much I appreciate all the hard work you’ve been putting in this? ‘Cause I totally do.
-A Pen Name

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 10:51:51 am »
Nope. You have now, though. :P

Thanks. :)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:40:58 am »
Indeed, I agreee with Om-nom-nom de Plume on this.  Thanks for the awesomeness that is you. :D
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.