Author Topic: Stay classy California  (Read 4378 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Stay classy California
« on: July 22, 2014, 05:50:02 am »
http://consumerist.com/2014/07/18/california-city-will-fine-couple-500-for-not-watering-brown-lawn-state-will-fineem-500-if-they-do/

You can get the main gist of the problem right from the title. The city demands that people's lawns must be pretty looking and threatens to fine a couple because their lawn is suffering from lack of water. Meanwhile the state will fine them IF they water their lawn because of the drought.

But local officials say you shouldn’t have to choose between nice landscaping and being drought-conscious — just because there’s a dearth of water doesn’t mean you have the right to drive down property values, by way of drought-resistant landscaping or turf removal programs.

“During a drought or non-drought, residents have the right to maintain their landscaping the way they want to, so long as it’s aesthetically pleasing and it’s not blighted,” said Al Baker, president of the California Association of Code Enforcement Officers.

Yeah, it is kinda sad that people are losing jobs and farming is suffering due to the drought but HOW DARE these inconsiderate residents lower the property values by not having a beautiful lawn...

At that point I would just pour cement on the lawn and be done with it but I guess they would complain about that as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Stay classy California
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:14:25 am »
They'd probably complain if they planted tonnes of different, drought-resistant plants, as well.  I've heard of townships and neighbourhoods being pricks about landscaping, but a whole city?  Is it poised to host the Olympics or something?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:20:59 am »
What a bunch of conformist jerks.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:30:28 am »
To all living in California: Be back soon, I'm going to go take an hour-long shower and then pour myself a glass or two of water.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:09:46 am »
When I lived in Florida, there were folks who had rock-lawns. Actually a very nice idea. Maybe this couple in Cali should try that. Rock lawns are growing in popularity & plenty of folks from coast to coast are doing it.

A lot of folks, sick of lawn-maintenance or worrying about drought just figure "screw it" and do the rock-lawn thing. It's quite lovely, almost Japanese rock-garden-like. In fact, the first photo is from California from an article about the drought.

And I agree that the schlubs running the place are being jerkasses. It's like they know about the no-watering ban & have just found an easy way to extort money!

It's a big $500.00 Catch 22.

I hope something can be done. Maybe someone can send this nice couple a check for $500.00 so they don't have to pay themselves, then everyone wins!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:18:31 am by SpukiKitty »

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:27:14 pm »
They'd probably complain if they planted tonnes of different, drought-resistant plants, as well.  I've heard of townships and neighbourhoods being pricks about landscaping, but a whole city?  Is it poised to host the Olympics or something?

With my maternal grandfather as a landscaper, I can tell you that is a serious matter among snooty assholes.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:40 pm »
Gotta keep those property values up you know.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 02:54:21 pm »
When I lived in Florida, there were folks who had rock-lawns. Actually a very nice idea. Maybe this couple in Cali should try that. Rock lawns are growing in popularity & plenty of folks from coast to coast are doing it.

Probably won't work. If they demand green lawns, it means green lawns. Subverting it with a rock garden or such will probably result in the same penalty.

Chances are if the couple takes this to court, the state will supersede the city.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 03:41:32 pm »

Just like the erections of the male octogenarians that make up half the city, apparently.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 03:50:33 pm »

...There was an actual, official, written complaint done by a someone in Finland because they did not want their neighbour's kids playing in the playground of the housing estate. They had a playground built to serve the families living in those buildings. This was done to increase the property values since having such a playground right in the yard would make the apartments more attractive to families... But... Having someone actually USE the playground would mean that the swings and sand pit and whatnot would wear out AND THAT COULD DECREASE THE PROPERTY VALUE AND THEREFORE IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Apparently, for some crazy reason, the manager did not agree with the complaint.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline gomer21xx

• Pope
  • Squick responsibly!
    • RT Gomer Productions
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 04:23:44 pm »
I just have one thing to say to the city officials:

If your biggest concern is whether or not the grass isn't the approved shade of green, then shut the fuck up!  That's not as important as farms being productive or people/animals being able to fucking survive!
I'm looking for patrons!  How can you help?  Check out my Patreon page! =)

As always, you can catch my podcasts and videos at RT Gomer Productions!

Quote from: TheL
I've seen so many tits, they've blended into one enormous mega boob!

Quote from: The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist
Dude, when Vox Day was born, he shot out the hospital window and over an entire tank of sharks.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 04:57:11 pm »
The clueless will always be with us, most often working at some level of government.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 10:46:33 pm »
I haven't read the article, but I wonder if the nice couple belongs to a certain group like a different ethnicity, faith or whatever.

There's got to be something someone can do. Sent them a check for $500.00?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 10:55:23 pm »
Spuki in this case...state trumps city.

Ironbite-appeal to the state authority on water.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 01:38:52 pm »
Spuki in this case...state trumps city.

Ironbite-appeal to the state authority on water.

Five hundred bucks to the city, then!