Author Topic: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins  (Read 36808 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2018, 05:27:26 pm »
So you're just like Faux Noise then.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2018, 07:33:43 pm »

No, because they want to harm the Democratic Party, and I want to see the Democrats succeed.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2018, 07:40:19 pm »

No, because they want to harm the Democratic Party, and I want to see the Democrats led by Bernie Sanders succeed.

FTFY.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2018, 07:46:58 pm »

No, because they want to harm the Democratic Party, and I want to see the Democrats led by Bernie Sanders succeed.

FTFY.

No, I want to see the Democrats succeed, if for no other reason than that Duverger's Law means that they are the only really viable alternative to the disastrous monster that is the Republican Party. I also happen to think that they'd have a much better chance of success if they followed Sanders' platform, given how popular most of its provisions are with the electorate.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2018, 07:56:39 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTfj44RnqRE

Hillary Clinton has endorsed Andrew Cuomo in the New York Democratic gubernatorial primary over Cynthia Nixon.

I seem to recall a speaker at an event for Clinton saying something about a special place in hell for women who don't help other women.

ANd as usual, Dpareja will bring up any action by Clinton taken - you're actually remarkably like Fox News in that regard.

FOX News brings up Clinton because it energizes the Republican base because they hate Hillary Clinton. I bring up Clinton because I think her continued presence on the political stage is harmful to the Democratic Party.

Yeah, that's the reason. [/100% Sarcasm]
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2018, 08:10:03 pm »
Would you please stop picking on him?
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2018, 08:50:45 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTfj44RnqRE

Hillary Clinton has endorsed Andrew Cuomo in the New York Democratic gubernatorial primary over Cynthia Nixon.

I seem to recall a speaker at an event for Clinton saying something about a special place in hell for women who don't help other women.

ANd as usual, Dpareja will bring up any action by Clinton taken - you're actually remarkably like Fox News in that regard.

FOX News brings up Clinton because it energizes the Republican base because they hate Hillary Clinton. I bring up Clinton because I think her continued presence on the political stage is harmful to the Democratic Party.

Yeah, that's the reason. [/100% Sarcasm]

Yes, it's not possible for there to be any policy-based reason, like supporting DOMA or voting for the PATRIOT Act or the Iraq War, that one might think Hillary Clinton's continued presence on the political stage is a detriment to the Democratic Party.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2018, 11:52:51 pm »
I see you Dpareja as someone who upholds extreme purity tests - that someone cannot possibly change their beliefs, because SURELY everyone is as extremely devoted as you are to your beliefs.

If I end up pulling an Ahnold and trying for politics after acting and bodybuilding, I see you as someone who will shout "he was a REPUBLICAN in high school! He is ideologically impure!"

Hillary was brought to nomination by voices of color and people across affiliations.

The fact she drew some Republicans to her is a black spot when others see it as a good point in your eyes, isn't it?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2018, 03:43:42 am »
People can obviously change, but I don't blame people like dp (and essentially fully agree in the case of Clinton) for not trusting big name politicians. Bernie's been in it a long time but he's always been an underdog that the corporate owned wing of the democrats never were fond of and its only really recently that the youth and left-leaning populist movement he was a part of started gaining any real traction again. Clinton has been near the top of the corporate democrat ladder for the better part of two decades or so (about as long as I've been alive, if not slightly longer) and when she tried to reach out it felt hollow and out of touch for a lot of the so-called "Bernie Bros" (a surprising amount of which were women, several of whom are trans women, something the media and a lot of diehard Hillary people wouldn't really talk about) felt that she would essentially do what Trump's been doing to his base and backtracking on a lot of campaign promises that were designed by the focus group committees in order to draw the demographics votes in.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2018, 02:20:43 pm »
Just going to say, niam, that if you really do think Sanders' continued presence on the political stage and his popularity is a detriment to the Democratic Party, I encourage you to support Folasade Adeluola, his opponent in Vermont's Democratic Senate primary this August. While he might still run as an Independent even if he loses that primary, it would put him in a three-way race, which he would be more likely to lose, and should Ms. Adeluola defeat him (or even get a significant percentage of the vote) in the Democratic primary, it would send a message that he is not as popular among Vermont Democrats as he or anyone else would have us believe.

That said, I find it unlikely that he would lose, either in that primary or even in a three-way general election race, since he is consistently voted the most popular Senator when residents of the various states are polled concerning their Senators (and Sen. Leahy is almost always in the top ten), but if you really feel he should be repudiated by Vermont Democrats and, if possible, removed from the Senate, I would encourage you to support Ms. Adeluola's candidacy.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cSau9Nu_tw

Vulnerable Republican House incumbents (such as in California, where there are seven House districts with a Republican representative that were won by Hillary Clinton in 2016) are attacking their Democratic opponents for supporting "socialized health care".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:50:19 pm by dpareja »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2018, 02:42:19 pm »
The number-four Democrat in the House, Joe Crowley (NY 14th) has lost in the Democratic primary to a progressive challenger, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Crowley will still appear on the general election ballot as the candidate for the Women's Equality and Working Families parties.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2018, 03:28:08 pm »
I hadn't heard he was still in the running.

Ironbite-but he accepted his loss pretty graciously.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2018, 03:39:11 pm »
I hadn't heard he was still in the running.

Ironbite-but he accepted his loss pretty graciously.

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/G18/NY

The Green Papers has him as the Working Families and Women's Equality candidate.

Makes me wonder if the DCCC will support him or the Democratic candidate, though.

EDIT: Also Ben Jealous, a former President of the NAACP, is the Democratic nominee for Governor of Maryland.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:50:08 pm by dpareja »

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2018, 12:03:31 am »
Saw a video on youtube about Ocasio-Cortez's campaign ads and glad she's in for the democrats. Making the party more grassroots will certainly be bringing back disaffected Bernie voters who left or abstained from voting after Hillary was put on the Dem ticket for Pres.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2018, 07:27:26 pm »
In what may be (yet another) harbinger for world politics, a populist left candidate just won the Presidential election in Mexico... by a landslide.

In a four-way race, Andrés Manuel López Obrador has, with a little over 75% of the votes counted, roughly 53% of all votes cast. The President of Mexico is elected by a simple popular plurality, however the last time a Presidential candidate received more than 50% of the vote was in 1988, with Carlos Salinas de Gortari receiving 50.7% in one of the last elections during the PRI's iron grip on power (1994 would see the PRI candidate drop below 50%; 2000 had PAN's Vicente Fox win with ~43% of the vote).

Apparently, the other candidates called to concede to Obrador within an hour of the polls closing, a record for contested Presidential elections in Mexico.