Author Topic: Beers you should avoid?  (Read 2962 times)

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
Beers you should avoid?
« on: May 15, 2014, 03:47:31 pm »
So, my mom sent me a link to this article about beers that contain "GMO" and "chemicals," and I'm very skeptical about it. The site raises a bunch of red flags for me, but that could just be me being overly skeptical.

http://www.endoriot.com/2014/05/8-beers-that-you-should-stop-drinking.html

So what do you think?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:57:57 pm by Solar Pendra »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Beers you should avoid?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 04:48:47 pm »
They contain articles about "Big Ag," so they're more than likely either taking the piss, or are completely full of shit.  Generally, unless its talking about how Monsanto is full of raving psychotics (which it is), then sites that bitch about GMOs are bullshit.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 09:43:12 pm »
I agree, this is probably bullshit.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:57:21 pm »
That's exactly what I thought.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 08:24:34 am »
Also, who the fuck is drinking booze for the good of their health anyway?  Might as well write a piece on the healthiest brands of cigarettes or something.

If you're that bothered about what you put into your body then you probably shouldn't be drinking drugs that cause liver cirrhosis.  It reminds of the time I bought a 1kg box of fudge that proudly said on the side "contains no artificial colours or flavourings".  Yes, because as someone who has just bought a kilo of sugard butter I'm clearly the sort of person who gives a fuck about what I eat.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 10:09:07 am »
Well, there is some evidence to suggest red wine is good for your health.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 10:19:17 am »
The listed sugars, corn syrup and propylene glycol, are added to feed the yeast in the batch to encourage alcohol and carbon dioxide production during the fermentation of the beer. You know, to make the stuff that makes beer, beer. Yes, I'd rather drink beer that uses regular cane sugar or honey for that process, too, and would like it to be organic sugar, as well.

Why BPA, which is a carcinogen-suspect plastic when it is in contact with consumables, would be listed as an actual recipe ingredient is a bit of a stretch. Some aluminum cans are lined with plastic so that the contents will not chemically react with the metal. Tomatoes for example, are acidic, the acid reacts with steel and aluminum to produce various oxides and shit, and it makes the tomatoes taste like metal, too. To avoid that, canners have for decades used various sprayed on plastic films to protect canned foods. BPA has just been, or is about to be, banned for that use, if I recall correctly, but there would still be cans on the shelves grandfathered in. You see "BPA-Free!" everywhere on product labels for this reason.

Anyway, that site page is an amateurish mess, with zero reference citations. You would think they would want their readership to learn more about these dangerous things, but it's just a lazy, rumor-ish mess of "known fact" spewing, preaching to the choir of fellow paranoids.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 01:00:42 pm »

Wine is also not beer ;D
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 03:17:52 pm »
Also, who the fuck is drinking booze for the good of their health anyway?  Might as well write a piece on the healthiest brands of cigarettes or something.

If you're that bothered about what you put into your body then you probably shouldn't be drinking drugs that cause liver cirrhosis.

Very much this.

I wonder if anyone bothered to compare the health effects of ethanol vs everything on the list, at the dosages involved. I'd do it, but I'm lazy.
Σא

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 04:42:17 pm »
In my case, they are all to be avoided.  But then again, my family has a rather depressing history with alcohol so I have no tolorance for it being anywhere near my home.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 04:50:29 pm »
You all make some good points. It's like bitching about high fructose corn syrup in soda and then recommending cane sugar soda. It's still soda. Same with beer. I do agree that micro-brewed American beer and European (or Asian) beer is better, but that just has to do with how it tastes.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 07:28:31 pm »
Beers to avoid are Weak :-\ & Skunky. :P

That's all! 8)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 10:21:07 pm »
Incidentally, I tried beer once.

I nearly threw up.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 02:22:20 am »
I'm very particular about my beer... Sam Adams Cranberry Ale, and pretty much anything Guinness.  Other than that? No.  Very much no.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 04:26:20 am »

No actually, it turned out the evidence for that might have been either highly exaggerated or even fabricated altogether.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/240222.php

(That's about one particular guy but there's plenty of more general stuff about how the health benifits of red wine are a lot less than they have been made out to be.)

Unsuprisingly wine producers were apparently involved in some of the "research" too (I forget where I read that sadly), which is always cause for suspicion.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:28:56 am by Katsuro »