Author Topic: Benefits of reduced fat milk overstated  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Benefits of reduced fat milk overstated
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 12:26:10 pm »
I grew up on a farm and we got milk straight from the cows.

Or technically from the tank after milking the cows.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 01:36:11 pm »
I used to drink skim like a motherfucker as a fledgeling.  Still will, given the chance.  Usually it's 2% nowadays though.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 04:31:47 pm »
It's best to avoid any comestible purported to be healthful.  As Russell Baker once suggested, somewhere down the line they'll tell you it's killing you.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 03:41:22 am »
I can't stand the taste of reduced fat milk, anyway. Always just tastes like someone added a couple drops of milk to a jug of water. Whole milk is where it's at.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 04:06:36 am »
Oh man... real whole milk is something else.   It tastes so good to me.   I can only get it around here from the Mennonite farming community in Delano TN, not too far from where I live.  It has to be labeled that it's not for human consumption since it's not pasteurized.  Pretty much from the cow's tit to the jug.

Even better is goat's milk, but I haven't had that in ages.

Yee haaaw.

I've never had unpasteurized, but I have had non-homogenized slow-pasteurized and it does taste different from homogenized flash-pasteurized (the method the majority of milk suppliers use).
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 10:31:24 am »
where the hell do you live? I didn't know anybody still got milk delivered like anywhere.

Outer suburb of west London (UK), think most of the borough's still served by milk floats from a handful of dairies, I walk past the local one to get to the shops and train station. There was a case a few years ago where a milkman got lost and ended up with the milk float on the M1, which got some snarky comments from the traffic helicopter.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8SUSI54G9g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8SUSI54G9g</a>