Author Topic: Earth sized lava planet found  (Read 4708 times)

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
Re: Earth sized lava planet found
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 12:21:25 am »
Actually that's something that annoys me when I'm looking for pictures of awesome things from space, go to, say, NASA's website and a lot of the pictures there are artistic renderings, meanwhile some of the actual photos of actual things in space are so damn awesome, really, that's what I want to see (and/or set as my desktop background)

Most of the objects that are "artist renderings" usually can not be photographed due to them not being visible due to their size and or transparency.  IIRC, out of the more than 800 exo-planets that have been discovered, there have only been one or two that have actually been observed visually.  And that is due to them being relatively close and enormous in size (large enough to make Jupiter look small.)  Some nebulae are so thinly widespread that it is difficult to image them with the best of telescopes and cameras.  Most images of deep space objects have to be photographed using multiple time lapsed  photos (usually from 30 to 120 seconds each) which are then "stacked" using computer software in order to bring them into a visible medium.  And when I say multiple, I'm talking sometimes as many as 250 or 300 photos.  Actually, the only objects you can photograph with just one short duration click of a camera are objects within our own solar system.  The reason for the multiple shots is due to the earths rotation.  Even with a telescope set up in polar mode, it is difficult to photograph deep space without getting "star tails" (the elongation of stars instead of pin points.)  Only telescopes in orbit can take extremely long exposure photos since they can be pointed at something without having to worry about rotation.  Some of the images taken from the Hubble have had a constant exposure of 100 hours or more.

If you have Windows 7, you can download a couple of nice desktop themes.  Just go to the Windows theme website and go to the nature section.  They have some really nice images taken from both the Spitzer Space Telescope and the Hubble.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 02:03:06 am »
Now we just have to find a plausible way to colonize it.

/challenge accepted

I don't know if we could colonize it, but we could always mine the fuck out of it somehow.

Use it as  an alternative energy sources, u guise!

/sarcasm
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 02:15:27 am »
I have a feeling that if we mined the diamond planet, diamonds would quickly become worthless.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 02:28:45 am »
I have a feeling that if we mined the diamond planet, diamonds would quickly become worthless.

Can't we already make diamonds anyway? But wait, people seem to prefer diamonds that were mined through what is essentially slave labor for some reason. I have no idea why. So maybe space diamonds would become a special market just because they're diamonds... from SPAAAAAAAACE!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 02:30:33 am »
Of course. That would be an interesting situation.  Though we won't be there for a goooood looooong while I think.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 02:31:15 am »
Of course. That would be an interesting situation.  Though we won't be there for a goooood looooong while I think.

Don't diamonds eventually disintegrate into dust anyway?

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 11:12:35 am »
Doesn't everything?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 02:49:47 pm »
Well, if diamonds became worthless, we'd eventually start seeing more color in engagement rings, so that's not exactly a bad thing.

Also...geothermal energy, anyone?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 05:54:15 pm »
Diamonds are fairly common on Earth. We just have a monopoly controlling the supply to up the prices and controlling advertising to make them seem more important than they should be. I'm not big on them beyond their utility.

I think a lava planet is interesting, plus from Alpha Centauri it's only 5 or so years old, so hey. If it's earth sized though, one might infer its still forming to some degree. When we get better scopes (Or find a way to beat the no FTL rule without costing buckets of energy), might be a worthwhile study object. Unless it's under the gravitational tidal forces of the suns, then it's lava like Io is.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying