Author Topic: Weapons of Math Destruction  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Weapons of Math Destruction
« on: September 11, 2016, 03:41:30 am »
http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/06/technology/weapons-of-math-destruction

A screencap from this story is going around insinuating that this is just feminists being stupid:

In reality, if you read the subject, not the clickbait, you will see that she is making a good point. If you were born in the "wrong" neighbourhood in USA you are less likely to get a loan or a job and more likely to end up in jail. Not because of what you have done but merely because math algorithms have concluded that people living in certain areas are more likely to be criminals and therefore they are all being treated like criminals...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Weapons of Math Destruction
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 01:40:54 pm »
And this is why I hate writing headlines. You have to find a balance between getting people interested enough to click, while also saying what the story is about in just a few words. If whoever wrote this awful headline was thinking, they should have AT LEAST, put a clear subhead on the article. The headline still would have sacked, but at least it wouldn't strawman the person the article is about
Who needs a signature?