Author Topic: Maldives taken over by Islamic extremists  (Read 2960 times)

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
Maldives taken over by Islamic extremists
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:32:12 am »
If you read the world news recently, you'd know that the Maldives, the island paradise well known as a honeymoon favorite, forced its democratically-elected government out at gunpoint and instilled cronies loyal to the old dictator Mohamed Nasheed kicked out 4 years ago. The old loyalists, backed by the army and harnessing the ever-present rage of Islamic extremists, have reportedly beat up supporters of Former President Nasheed, and seem to be asserting their power after 4 years under the relatively forward-thinking Nasheed.

It has been reported that the extremists have broken into the local museum and smashed up priceless statues of the Buddha dating back to the pre-Islamic 12th century. It stinks of the 2001 incident of the Taliban blowing up those huge Buddha statues along the silk road. No doubt, as the military and Gayoom loyalists continue to focus on consolidating power and shutting out Nasheed, the extremists will continue to "purify" what they see as anti-Islamic elements in Maldives, including, as per the propoganda used against him, President Nasheed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:53:29 am by armandtanzarian »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Maldives taken over by Islamic extremists
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:39:23 am »
Aww I liked the last president with him suing the world for global warming (I really do support that)

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:01:39 am »
Holy chit!  o_O  I'm not sure I can formulate a more coherent response than that at the moment.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:27:19 am »
If you read the world news recently, you'd know that the Maldives, the island paradise well known as a honeymoon favorite, forced its democratically-elected government out at gunpoint and instilled cronies loyal to the old dictator Mohamed Nasheed kicked out 4 years ago. The old loyalists, backed by the army and harnessing the ever-present rage of Islamic extremists, have reportedly beat up supporters of Former President Nasheed, and seem to be asserting their power after 4 years under the relatively forward-thinking Nasheed.

It has been reported that the extremists have broken into the local museum and smashed up priceless statues of the Buddha dating back to the pre-Islamic 12th century. It stinks of the 2001 incident of the Taliban blowing up those huge Buddha statues along the silk road. No doubt, as the military and Gayoom loyalists continue to focus on consolidating power and shutting out Nasheed, the extremists will continue to "purify" what they see as anti-Islamic elements in Maldives, including, as per the propoganda used against him, President Nasheed.

They want to play this way?  Fine.  I recommend we cut off their access to the outside world.  After all, we're just dirty infidels.  See how long they last on the island's resources.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:32:08 am »

They want to play this way?  Fine.  I recommend we cut off their access to the outside world.  After all, we're just dirty infidels.  See how long they last on the island's resources.

Also, the Maldives are sinking into the ocean- It works on so many levels. 

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:04:42 am »
Ah, but as mentioned, this is a military coup of a democratically-elected president. In no way are the Gayoom supporters and extremists even suggested to be a majority of the nation. So who is really suffering from isolation anyway?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:53:13 pm »

Also, the Maldives are sinking into the ocean- It works on so many levels.

I assume this would be enforced with an armed blockade? I'd fully support that as long as refugees are allowed out, but no supplies in.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 03:52:02 am »
The opposition in Australia's parliament recently made light of this incident. Truly they are awful people.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 07:16:40 am »
Ah, but as mentioned, this is a military coup of a democratically-elected president. In no way are the Gayoom supporters and extremists even suggested to be a majority of the nation. So who is really suffering from isolation anyway?

So does this mean the UN will swing into action and.......  Have a debate about it?
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!