Author Topic: Several stabbings in Finland, possible terrorism?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Several stabbings in Finland, possible terrorism?
« on: August 18, 2017, 10:32:09 am »
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/18/europe/finland-stabbing/index.html

At the city center of Turku there were some sort of attacks in seemingly random that left several injured and presumably at least one dead, but the police have not verified the number of victims yet.

Finnish news have reported that the attacks happened on two separate but nearby marketplaces and that one suspect has been shot (dead or just injured? I am getting contradicting reports from news stories that rely on witnesses.)

Police will hold an announcement at 19:00 local time (1 and half hours from now.) so we'll have to wait until then for verified information.

EDIT: Police have announced that the suspect they shot is in police custody.

EDIT2: People have been seen running around with baseball bats but these might have been bystanders who saw the stabbing and chased the attacker. There is a claim that the attacker was shouting "Allah" but the video related to it merely has Finns shouting "Varo!" (Watch out/ look out / beware.) Several sources state that one of the victims was a woman with a baby stroller who has died on the scene, few of the sources specify that she was "foreign" (that is to say non-white) looking.

EDIT3: stolen from reddit without a shame because it is a good summary:

8 people were stabbed with a knife in the city of Turku, until the police shot and detained the suspect, who was of foreign origin. There are no other suspects, and the rumors about other attackers appear to have been about the people chasing the attacker with clubs. Two of the victims are dead, and the victims were a mix of Finns and foreigners.

The police apparently apprehended the suspect in just 3 minutes after the first stabbing, by shooting him non fatally. The suspect was already being chased by an angry crowd armed with clubs and folding tables.

"You come to OUR town to stab people?! Motherfucker, I will hit you with a table!" Way to go Turku.

Also, at least one of the victims was hurt when trying to defend another victim, people were fighting back rather than running away.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:53:45 pm by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: Several stabbings in Finland, possible terrorism?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 09:42:04 am »
A video with the people wielding bats and chasing the murderer was so unclear that a tabloid that immediately published it originally described it as people running around with swords in hand - this combined with the misheard "Allahu akbar" shouts is pretty much an immigration critic's wet dream. According an eye witness many of these men were also immigrants which is probably why it was easy for someone paranoid to see their bats as swords.

It is now confirmed that it is being investigated as a terrorist action, the perpetrator is 18 years old Moroccan who was described as a loner with signs of antisocial behaviour. "A foreigner" had reported a few months ago to the police that he appears to be attracted to radical ideology but the police didn't find any signs of him planning immediate action in the report. Four other Moroccans have been arrested and one international warrant has been sent out.  He seemed to select women as his targets since the two men who were injured got were trying to stop him or help the victims. One of these injured men is Hassan Zubier, a paramedic from Stockholm who got injured first when defending his girlfriend and again when trying to save a dying woman from bleeding to death. The other is local businessman Hasan Alazawii who stopped his car and chased the murderer away from Zubier. While I have huge respect for anyone who fought back these two deserve a special mention for standing up against a knife wielding murderer alone and empty handed. Zubier might end up losing his arm unless the doctors can repair the nerve damage he suffered.

Edit: corrected a mistake in the original story after reading Alazawii's interview.

Edit: corrected a couple of bad pieces of misinformation.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:18:26 am by SCarpelan »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 04:02:42 pm »
Hassan and Hasan were thanked by mention of name and as a result a bunch of racists are complaining about virtue signaling and "pushing a narrative" by media and authorities because no "properly Finnish" people are named as heroes. For example, the mob that chased after the attacker, armed with clubs and whatever makeshift weapons they had at hand (in one case a small table) have not been named but was apparently made up mainly of stall owners from the market place and are mainly non-white and either immigrants or second generation immigrants. They weren't named because after the suspect was shot in the nether regions by the officer (ok, there's a bit of inconsistencies about this. Some reports say he got hit in the leg, others in the hip. Until proven otherwise I am going to assume he got shot in the dick.) the mob ran up to him and some of them kicked him while he was on the ground. Which may be either assault or excessive use of force in self defense. And as the police (for the sake of fairness and justice) has to do an investigation they are not named.

Anway, all this means that names like "Hassan" and "Abdul" are on the news but since one of the named helpers was called Pauli (Finnish name) "HOW COME HIS FACE ISN'T EVERYWHERE IN THE NEWS?!?!?!?!" comments were on the net for a while before his interview did get to news and these complainers saw that he looks like this: https://images.cdn.yle.fi/image/upload//w_1200,h_800,f_auto,fl_lossy,q_auto/13-3-9785976.jpg

BTW, Pauli was giving first aid to one of the victims and then went to work in night shift in a nearby factory (so he wasn't even an unemployed bum living rich from the aid to refugees as the racists like to claim about any immigrants) and hadn't slept at all since the traumatic events. He said in an interview that he doesn't even know if the person he helped survived.

Anyway, one foreigner went on an amok run, possibly terrorism but it could be just another regular amok run as well without any religious or political mootivation, bunch of non-natives helped in stopping the attack and patching up the victims. All in all it seems to me that the threat of terrorists hiding among refugees isn't that bad if we get people like this as well.

EDIT: Oh and the vast majority of the victims were women. Two men are among injured but they were both trying to defend the other victims so it looks like the attacker specifically went after women.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:07:22 pm by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 06:22:43 pm »
The guy who shouted the "varokaa, varokaa" warning shouts is the same guy who is mentioned in several eyewitness descriptions as chasing the murderer with a folding chair as a weapon. The dude's name is Abdulfazi Atai. Gee, I wonder why people thought he was shouting "Allahu akbar".

Edit: Yeah, the racists are suspicious about the whole story. I've seen someone directly blame the mainstream media of lying since almost every name that appears in the news as having participated in the chase is foreign. A conspiracy to manipulate public opinion is a more believable explanation for them than the possibility that a coincidence led to a lot of people of immigrant background being in the same area in a crowded marketplace and the media highlights the narrative this creates to try and balance the reactions.

One of the first eyewitness stories I saw was buy a guy who joined the chase near the marketplace when he saw "about 10 immigrants" chasing the perpetrator. My first thought when I heard this description was that this was a group of friends or something like that but it seems they are just people who happened to be around there with no connection to each other.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:48:15 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 02:57:46 am »
Getting shot in the dick after targeting women for terrorism and/or hate crimes.
That definitely sounds like some kind of karmic retribution.

He'll live, but I can only imagine the suffering he feels from that injury is several magnitudes worse than anything he's ever felt before.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 07:21:59 am »
Yeah, the racists are suspicious about the whole story.
It contains details of people browner than them being a fukton braver. Cue shrill cries of "fake news"!