Author Topic: Man sentenced to death for a tweet.  (Read 3057 times)

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
Man sentenced to death for a tweet.
« on: February 10, 2012, 07:42:05 am »
23 year old Hamza Kashgari posted a few tweets during Awal Muharram last week, about the Prophet Muhammad. His tweet, specifically, says  "I have loved things about you and I have hated things about you and there is a lot I don't understand about you. I will not pray for you," Instantly, we have the usual assholes and zealots calling for his execution, which is the reason he fled Saudi Arabia to find sactuary elsewhere.

Turns out, he ended up in Malaysia, where he was detained by immigration. According to the local news, Malaysia is now in talking to the Saudis to see if he will be extradited.

We can debate the issues of blasphemy laws, let alone the death sentence from offending tweets. However, Malaysian authorities should understand that sending Hamza back to Saudi Arabia means certain death for him, whether by the state or the frantic mob sure to gather. If there is anything the authorities can do, it is to appeal to their better senses not to send this young man to his death.

If there is any way possible we can help Hamza Kashgari, please act. We must not let Malaysian Immigration return him to Saudi Arabia. Contact the UNHCR in Malaysia at the very least. We don't have much time.

UNHCR Representative
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
570, Jalan Bukit Petaling
50460 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603 2141 1322
Fax: 603 2141 1780
Email: mlslu@unhcr.org

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16977903

http://freethoughtblogs.com/maryamnamazie/2012/02/10/in-defence-hamza-kashgari/

Offline Podkayne

• Pope
Re: Man sentenced to death for a tweet.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:44:31 am »
Why tweet that in the first place? Does he think Mohammed reads Twitter?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:18:27 am by Podkayne »
Don't make vague, generic threats, or else!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:54:41 am »
What I'm curious is does this have more to do with Islamists or does your country have an exdration treaty with Saudi Arabia.  Don't get me wrong this is horrid. 

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:02:42 am »
What I'm curious is does this have more to do with Islamists or does your country have an exdration treaty with Saudi Arabia.  Don't get me wrong this is horrid. 
Malaysia does not have an extradition treaty with Saudi Arabia. However the authorities of both countries are in talks about extradition, so its still possible. As mentioned, sending Hamza back to Saudi Arabia is a death sentence so I hope there is some way we can convince the Malaysians to forgo extradition for reason of personal safety.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:04:08 am »
Malaysia does not have an extradition treaty with Saudi Arabia. However the authorities of both countries are in talks about extradition, so its still possible. As mentioned, sending Hamza back to Saudi Arabia is a death sentence so I hope there is some way we can convince the Malaysians to forgo extradition for reason of personal safety.
Okay just wanted to make sure we had a chance
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:13:58 am by kefkaownsall »

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 08:36:11 am »
Yeah, he was deported faster than anyone could muster a protest.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204795304577218492524993410.html?mod=SEA_LeadStory

A 23-year-old Saudi columnist who had fled Saudi Arabia amid a furor over his tweets on the Prophet Muhammad was deported Sunday back to his home country, where a senior Saudi official said he would likely face a charge of apostasy, which typically carries the death penalty.

Authorities in Malaysia surrendered Hamza Kashgari on Sunday morning to Saudi officials in the commercial capital, Kuala Lumpur. Mr. Kashgari had fled there Wednesday, amid a public campaign by Saudi clerics and their followers on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube demanding he be executed for his tweets.
To be honest I didn't see much of a chance anyway, but it was worth a shot. Still, the sad fact is that prolonged detention in Kuala Lumpur, whatever the reputation, was probably the best way to ensure his safety. The government blew it, no doubt under the instruction of the Home Minister.