Author Topic: Australian Election  (Read 4562 times)

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Australian Election
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:43:30 pm »
While we have all been caught up in the never-ending US election, we Australians have been caught up in our own interminable election campaign. Although thankfully ours will be over by July, not having any primary process and preselection being worked out at a party level.

One of the themes of our recent election is the idea that one of our parties, the Labor Party, is firing up 'class warfare' (this actually forgets the entire period of the Abbott government which did everything but round up poor people). However we are not alone, into the fray jumps New Matilda, with a great article which I want to share: https://newmatilda.com/2016/05/31/labor-is-at-war-with-inequality-not-business/

Also I would like to leave these quote from the article, because it's brilliant:

It’s funny how class war always seems to be something happening to those unfortunate rich people.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Australian Election
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:05:06 pm »
So I looked into it a bit, and found out that it's the first double dissolution since 1987. What prompted that?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 11:22:18 pm »
It got triggered by a bill about re-instating the Australian Building and Construction Commission, which was actually about persecuting unions or holding them to account depending on your side of politics. However that was just the trigger, there have been lots of bills which haven't passed in this parliament because the senate was held by minority parties and independents. (One of the minority parties itself splintering into independents). Ultimately the trigger was pulled because with a new Prime Minister at the helm, the liberal party think they can win the election and gain control of both houses.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:18:29 am »
Wait, Australia is still a thing?

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 02:33:47 am »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 02:43:12 am »
Wait, Australia is still a thing?

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 02:54:31 am »
I don't know much of anything about Australian Politics, but I take it your Trump equivalent is this woman: http://www.news.com.au/national/federal-election/pauline-hanson-says-she-has-no-problems-with-asians-saying-one-nation-members-have-asian-wives/news-story/eb2ac8435ae68a49dbf120d83010efe3

No she's  a has been from the 90s. Keeps running even though she doesn't get elected because she gets funded by the Australian Electoral commission because she gets a certain number of votes. She had a political party for a while which was more or less a way to get stupid people to give her money.

Our Donald Trump was Clive Palmer who is already experiencing his hubris moment.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 09:15:28 pm »
Pauline tried moving to England, but complained it didn't have enough white people in it.

Shame.

Meanwhile in keeping with recent political tradition our ruling party has entered this election season by trying to eat itself.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:19:15 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 12:13:34 am »
Almost incredibly, Turnbull seems to be worse than Abbott. And, even more incredibly, Shorten has a chance.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 12:25:51 am »
Turnbull isn't worse than Abbott, he just has higher expectations placed on him. Also he is entirely hamstrung by how he gained the position. Now he dare not ruffle complete lunatics like Bernardi. All this does is put off the vast majority of people who want him to do something about Climate Change and Gay Marriage whilst continuing to torture save refugees from drowning. If he had the political nous he would have called the election the day after he rolled Abbott.

I think labor's biggest problem is all the seats it might lose the greens. Although if the election returns a labor/greens coalition that might not be the worst thing in the world.

Shorten's biggest problem is that his personality appears indistinguishable from a blancmange.

Edit: Despite how forgettable he is he Bumble Foreskin doesn't have two biggest problems.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:27:45 am by davedan »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 02:22:57 am »
I'm really hoping for a Labor/Green/Xenophon coalition. Deliberative democracy ahoy!

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 02:35:11 am »
I just want something interesting to happen. High profile assassination, hard core conservative caught sucking off man whores in a public toilet, something like that. Politics have been so goddamn boring lately.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 02:41:50 am »
You can either move to USA and watch the "Reality-TV" type of politics and move to Russia and see the "anyone who disagrees will get 'disappeared' or just shot in broad daylight" type of politics.

...And then there's the Best-Korea which is like USA for the leaders and Russia for everyone else.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 03:22:33 am »
I havnt been paying to the Australian election. Ive literally never heard until Bill Shorten until a week ago. Theyre all so.....plain
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 04:26:57 am »
You can either move to USA and watch the "Reality-TV" type of politics and move to Russia and see the "anyone who disagrees will get 'disappeared' or just shot in broad daylight" type of politics.

...And then there's the Best-Korea which is like USA for the leaders and Russia for everyone else.

Or the Philippines and get the "if you do the right thing, you'd not be assassinated" politics.

-FDR