Author Topic: Australian Election  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: Australian Election
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 01:58:11 am »
Anyone watch Insiders today? Some elements within the ABC are running pretty scared that Labor might make it. Chris Toolman had some pretty interesting propaganda this morning:

Labor is in "a panic" and responding with a "scare campaign" about privatising Medicare*. Voting for them would cause "chaos" - Shorten would be the fifth PM in five years.

"Hopefully" the Libs will win, says Chris Uhlmann. The libs just want boring, effective "government as usual" rather than more Labor chaos. They're likely to hold on to marginal seats.

Shut up about Parakeelia; everyone does the same thing, so don't worry about it. Why even worry your pretty little head about it? Shut up. The libs have won already. Shut up. Don't think.

It's a clear violation of the ABC charter and a disgrace. Fire him.

* This is totally illegitimate. Who knows what a re-elected Liberal government would do? Toolman told us the same thing about Labor's warnings about Abbott, all of which came true. We can't take anything the LNP say for granted any more, ever.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 05:20:23 am »
It is a violation of the ABC charter, but I'd wager that people inside the ABC are rightfully terrified that sticking to it will cause the Turnbull regime to swing the axe even more than they already have.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 06:22:01 am »
It is a violation of the ABC charter, but I'd wager that people inside the ABC are rightfully terrified that sticking to it will cause the Turnbull regime to swing the axe even more than they already have.

I think Chris is just a big fan of the Libs to be honest.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 07:25:17 pm »
And today is the moment of truth. Any last minute bets?

I reckon hung leaning Labor, with three Greens in the lower house.

-FDR

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 09:10:16 pm »
I have a horrible feeling the LNP will manage to cling to power... :(

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 01:02:01 am »
I hav absolutely no clue. I donkey voted
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 04:30:02 am »
I just voted for the I Forgot to Vote, Please Don't Fine Me Party.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2016, 04:47:07 am »

I thought they took your driver's licence away for that.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 04:59:59 am »

Well, whatever they do, I'm hoping they don't do it to me.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 05:32:59 am »

Well, whatever they do, I'm hoping they don't do it to me.

A cursory look at the Australian Electoral Commission's website indicates that you either have to give them a good ("valid and sufficient") reason for not voting or pay a $20 fine. If you don't, they can take you to court and if you're found guilty, it's $180, court costs, and a criminal conviction on your record.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 05:35:21 am »
Sounds like that system costs more than 20 bucks per offender to the tax payers. And I doubt that even the 180 bucks will make up the costs (although you would pay for the court costs so we have no need to add those to the bill to the tax payers.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 09:47:42 am »
So the press called it two weeks ago. They were completely wrong of course, as expected, fuckwits.

Labor or Libs, who knows who will form government? Hanson will have 2-3 Senators who will want gas chambers.

-FDR

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2016, 11:07:34 am »
Aand it looks like a hung parliament. ;D

Which is precisely what you expect when both your candidates look, sound and make policy like bored middle managers.

This picture of two LNP supporters wincing in frustration as Shorten delivers his speech is priceless.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 05:03:50 pm »
I always get briefly hopeful then sad when I hear the prhrase "hung parliament".
If you're thinking what I'm thinking, then the correct term would be "hanged parliament".

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 07:22:08 pm »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/matwhitehead/lmao?utm_term=.fjA1jQmnP#.ibQa9rOY3

I actually thought there was a weird Swingers group known as the hung parliament where you had to be 8 inches plus to join