Author Topic: Habitable planet discovered?  (Read 3087 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Habitable planet discovered?
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:50:53 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/earth-sized-planet-found-in-star-s-habitable-zone-1.2613794

Just maybe.

For the first time, an Earth-sized planet has been found in the habitable zone of a star — the right distance away to host liquid water and possibly life.

Kepler-186f has a radius just 10 per cent larger than that of the Earth, researchers reported in a paper published online in the journal Science on Thursday. That means that it is likely to have a solid, rocky surface, like Earth.

The bad news for people wanting to go there?

The new planet, discovered by the Kepler space telescope, is about 500 light years (about 4,700 trillion kilometres) away from Earth in the constellation Cygnus. It is the outermost of five planets orbiting a small, cool red dwarf star, and it completes its orbit every 130 days, reported researchers led by planetary scientist Elisa Quintana at the SETI Institute and NASA Ames Research Center.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Habitable planet discovered?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:21:51 pm »
To be honest habitable earth like planets are a dime a dozen nowadays.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:51:39 pm »
To be honest habitable earth like planets are a dime a dozen nowadays.

Actually no. Right size and right zone is rare, I think this one is the first.
Σא

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 04:56:17 am »
Okay Hawking, get that warp drive finished ASAP.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:58:06 am »
Planet Goldilocks and the Red Dwarf. Sounds better than Kepler186f. This so wonderful they finally found one like Earth. At the rate of improvement in finding these tiny, low albedo objects, maybe they will prove to be a "dime a dozen", relatively speaking.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:11:48 am »
Fine, how bout "20 bucks a dozen"

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:41:28 am »
We should keep in mind that life on other planets might be unimaginably different from anything we could imagine.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 10:08:56 am »
If only because it would be both disappointing and boring were it otherwise :P
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 10:48:28 am »
I'm still hoping for first contact in my lifetime.  Yes, I know the odds and science.  Doesn't mean I stop hoping.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 12:01:00 pm »
I'm still hoping for first contact in my lifetime.  Yes, I know the odds and science.  Doesn't mean I stop hoping.
I'm just hoping that the first contact will not end with the first interplanetary war for humanity.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 12:06:54 pm »
I'm just hoping that the first contact will not end with the first interplanetary war for humanity.

Nah.  We're fucking DUMB, but I don't think we're that stupid.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 12:28:51 pm »

Nah.  We're fucking DUMB, but I don't think we're that stupid.

a) Sometimes we are incredibly stupid.

b) It is not necessarily us that start the war. We might just meet a species that is doing colonialism on an intergalactic scale or eradicates other species due to religious or philosophical reasons or something.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 05:53:03 pm »
I'm just curious about the timespan between "first contact" and "first interspecies frick frack".
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 08:00:50 pm »
I don't care about first contact (Okay I do mostly to prove my bible thumping classmate with the same name as my ex wrong) all I want is for space colonization to be a thing (Cause this will lead to my biggest dream ever to join a space navy, yes I'm still obsessed with that.) Also what is the percentile for life-bearing planets (I know it's based on the whole Goldie locks zone thing) do we have some kind of equation or something for it?

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 10:42:42 pm »
The Drake Equation.