Author Topic: "What Have You Done For God Lately?"  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: "What Have You Done For God Lately?"
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 03:53:49 am »
I find the idea that Christian salvation requires anything, even faith, out of someone to be absurd. As per Christ's last words, the debt that humanity owes (somehow, considering that the idea of "the fall" is blaming Adam and Eve for something they had no way to know was wrong) was paid by his death. If the debt has been paid, why do we need to do things for God to earn salvation?
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 04:45:38 am »
Lutheran teaching is that the salvation will only come through Jesus, so faith in Jesus is the only thing required. ("I am the way" and all that.)

Martin Luther started his break from Catholism because he concidered that the Church's demands of actions of faith from people were dishonest. Particulalry since it was just "give us money plz and you can into heaven."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 08:35:32 am »
You know, I'm starting to think Martin Luther kinda sucked.

#4444!  Yeah!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 08:22:08 pm »
You know, I'm starting to think Martin Luther kinda sucked.

#4444!  Yeah!

He probably did.  But it sounds like the Catholic Church at the time sucked a lot more.  Kind of how a lot of churches work today.  Sure, they'll still tell you you're a sinner who deserves hell, but at least they're not that other church.