Author Topic: A Million Pound Atheist "Temple"  (Read 18495 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: A Million Pound Atheist "Temple"
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 06:17:15 pm »
Look, I don't like rabid antitheists who can't leave other people alone JUST for being religious.

Everything else on the atheist/anti-theist spectrum is generally just peachy.  Even the antitheists that really really really hate religion.

However, Dawkins is too much of an ass for me to like him.  I like his mind, I just hate his attitude.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 12:17:44 pm »
So it's settled then. We take that million pounds and go find a decent spokesperson. Maybe give zir a couple years operating budget, set zim up on maybe some of those Sunday morning talking heads shows, try to get moderate atheism more mainstream and accepted. Sounds like Dawkins is out. So who does that leave? Penn Jillette maybe?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »
So it's settled then. We take that million pounds and go find a decent spokesperson. Maybe give zir a couple years operating budget, set zim up on maybe some of those Sunday morning talking heads shows, try to get moderate atheism more mainstream and accepted. Sounds like Dawkins is out. So who does that leave? Penn Jillette maybe?

If you get Pen Jillette does that mean non-Atheists are welcome? It would be the open minded thing to do.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 12:29:46 pm »
Sure, you can come. In fact, I would encourage it. Recruiting is where we get new atheists from.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 06:04:30 pm »

Eeh, no.  Not because Penn's loud or obnoxious, but because he's basically an anarcho-capitalist.  Don't want someone like that representing me, that's for damn sure.  I say, we don't do like our neighbors and elect a chosen spokesperson or leader, but let each individual speak for themselves.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 06:43:53 pm »

Eeh, no.  Not because Penn's loud or obnoxious, but because he's basically an anarcho-capitalist.  Don't want someone like that representing me, that's for damn sure.  I say, we don't do like our neighbors and elect a chosen spokesperson or leader, but let each individual speak for themselves.
This. You can't treat atheism like a single group with a single voice. Hell, even the so-called "four Horsemen" had important disagreements with each other, and that's nothing compared to the disagreements between them and accommodationists like de Botton or Be Scofield. And between all of those and the I-don't-give-a-crap-ists. And so on and so forth.
Dawkins does not speak for atheists. He doesn't even speak for the "New Atheists". He speaks for himself, and for those that agree with him. Sometimes, he says "There's no good evidence for the existence of God" and we all agree with him. Sometimes, he says "Rebecca Watson is whining too much about the elevator incident" and even PZ Myers rushes to say he's wrong. That's how it should be.
Σא

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 07:20:51 pm »
You know, the're that whole thing about herding atheists being like herding cats, but I wish it was pony.

I'm going to pretend it is about herding ponies, which are hard to herd as far as I know.  Which is ironic considering that the welcome for new bronies is "Welcome to the Herd."

Wait, what were we talking about again?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

deadpandoubter

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 07:57:50 pm »
I'd herd dat.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 09:51:30 pm »
I'm with Sigmaleph, obviously. If someone tried to turn atheism into a dogmatic institution, it would be stupid. Of course Fundies are going to try & portray it that way anyway. Because they are stupid.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 10:58:36 am »

Damn, do I suck at writing tongue in cheek. 

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 04:35:15 pm »
I thought it was pretty obvious you weren't being serious. <shrugs>

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 06:21:44 pm »
I disagree with Penn on a few issues but overall I think he's way more courteous than these other guys who have been representing us. Penn won't call anyone a deluded idiot for believing in religion, but he won't instantly flip over just because someone asks nicely.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 06:59:35 pm »
Oops. Well, assume everything I wrote is directed at someone who actually believes atheism needs an official spokesperson.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 05:30:56 pm »

Agh...sorry bout that.  It ain't you, brother, its the medium.  Text makes things like that very difficult to discern.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 03:57:44 pm »
I have no idea what you're talking about because I live in the real world, where no one cares about dashing rainbows or whatever.
Take comfort in the fact that this My Little Pony fad should burn itself out in a few months. These things always do (and thank fuck for that).
Just going to quietly second this, and the fact that a temple is a retarded idea. Now, a library dedicated to preserving all forms of literature and history (particularly those that fuckheads try to burn), that could be cool.

Well, one could argue that the internet is a modern-day Library of Alexandria.  Only with much greater (and more disturbing) scope and accessibility.