Author Topic: Rant 1: Your "true" Christianity is Nothing Special  (Read 9005 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Rant 1: Your "true" Christianity is Nothing Special
« on: August 10, 2013, 05:43:06 pm »
I’ve sure we’ve all heard this.  A “concerned Christian” comes on a board like this and sees a bunch of people bitter with religion.  So they come and share their “good news” that “true Christians” don’t have to be bigoted judgmental assholes, and how the “true gospel” is that you don’t need good works to get into heaven, you just need to believe.  “It’s not a religion, it’s a relationship with Jesus Christ” says the overly excited Christian.  I’ve seen that episode play out so many times on different forums that I practically know the dialog. 

Well sorry to burst your bubble, but what you’re offering is no different than what most of the other churches offered.  All churches claim to have the truth, most of the protestant ones emphasize faith in Christ as the most important thing, and the “it’s not a religion” is now such a cliché that saying it actually is a religion would be the real twist.  In reality, all churches have an idea of what the truth might be, there’s always some other catch to the faith thing (especially since they claim most people are going to hell anyway), and the “relationship” with God is in odd one (worthy of an entirely different topic).  When you bring Jesus dying for your sins into the equation, you’re not preaching anything revolutionary.  You’re just delivering in a different package (only it’s not really a different package now is it?). 

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Re: Rant 1: Your "true" Christianity is Nothing Special
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 09:36:13 pm »
Plus, that doesn't really change that these people do a bunch of damage in the name of Jesus Christ, "true" or not, & frankly I'd rather be judged by what I do based on what I arbitrarily believe.

I'm still trying to figure out why they think that this information is novel. The closest I've gotten is that they simply refuse to believe that anyone outside of their circle has heard this before. RR was pretty fond of telling me that I got their beliefs "wrong" because of minor differences in wording. They were particularly stuck on the (lack of) difference between "God sends you to Hell" & "you go to Hell because of your sins."

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 10:44:07 pm »
I'm so fucking sick of people using "true" or "real" in everything and dismissing everything else as "false" or "fake". It's so No True Scotsman.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 11:08:54 pm »
Guh, I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "You were raised Roman Catholic? Well, THAT'S your problem right there! You weren't following the REAL truth!" whenever I answer a Christian as to what religion I followed before converting to Paganism.

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 02:18:05 am »
I'm wondering if the people who post those sort of things think they're going to change anyone's mind by doing it.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 02:35:23 am »
I'd like to see more Christians saying it's not believing, it's good works.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 04:48:07 am »
It kind of reminds me of wiccans who insist that if you don't follow a certain set of beliefs, you can't call yourself wiccan.  They have no specific objection to your actual spirituality, just what you call yourself.

What are those set of beliefs?  ... They won't say.  "Find out for yourself", basically.

Maddening.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 05:29:15 am »
And while we're at it, how about the fact that many Christians don't consider that a lot of the people they're trying to convert are not confused or ignorant, but devout in their own non-Christian beliefs. A Christian telling me to convert is asking me to violate my own principles and turn against my own beliefs.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 05:42:33 am »
But... But... Butt...

You can't be happy if you live in HERESY! And obviously those principles can't be REAL principles since they haven't been founded in the true christian beliefs of MY particular brand. /fundie
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 05:49:36 am »
Or they're a rip-off of Christian values because no other religion has positive values but Christianity!  And specifically, MY brand of Christianity!

...I'm serious, we would sometimes have months of Sunday School devoted to why other religions and denominations our wrong and our specific religion and denomination is right.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 09:09:55 am »
The thing is, damn near EVERY religion says that they're "right."  How the hell do they know?  It actually kinda strikes me a little arrogant to assume that your religion is the one that got all the things right.  Let's just ignore the numerous scientific inaccuracies and downright impossibilities most religions teach as if they're simple facts of life.  Its down right maddening, sometimes.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 09:11:50 am »
Then what would be the point of Christianity existing in the first place?

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 10:51:54 am »
RR was pretty fond of telling me that I got their beliefs "wrong" because of minor differences in wording. They were particularly stuck on the (lack of) difference between "God sends you to Hell" & "you go to Hell because of your sins."

Yeah, "you send yourself to hell" is classic blame the victim.  God still decides who goes to hell and heaven so the petty semantic differences are a moot point.  I love how they completely miss the point and instead focus on the meaningless semantics. 

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 01:44:56 pm »
There are plenty of Christians that feel like that now, they're just outnumbered by the foaming at the mouth nuts.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 03:26:19 pm »

Inspire people to do those good works?

Also, if Christianity was true, it would be worth believing in even if it didn't send you to heaven. Much like everything else.
Σא