Author Topic: Mysterious priest appears at crash scene  (Read 5129 times)

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
Mysterious priest appears at crash scene
« on: August 10, 2013, 04:29:04 am »
Yeah, it's a Yahoo! article.

An unidentified allegedly drunken driver hit Katie Lentz, of Quincy, Mo., head on Aug. 4 while traveling on Route 19 near Center, Mo., pinning the 19-year-old in the front seat of her convertible. With her vital signs failing fast, she asked rescue crews to pray with her.

That's when first responders say a man who looked like a Catholic priest seemed to appear out of nowhere, despite a 2-mile perimeter blocking the scene.

"He began to pray and use the anointing oil," New London Fire Chief Raymond Reed said. "There was a calmness that, to me, seemed to come over the entire scene."

But that's not the only seemingly divine detail. Firefighters say their equipment kept failing until the mystery man showed up.

"The words were to remain calm, that our tools would now work," Reed said. "Instantaneously, at that moment, our neighboring department arrived with fresh extrication tools."

Lentz survived, but the man vanished before crews could thank him.

I would first like to point out that their tools never started working like the priest claimed; they only gained access to tools that did work when the second crew arrived.

Also, I didn't watch the video, but according to the comments, the priest also doesn't appear in any of the accident photos.

Speaking of the comments, read some of them.  Every response to the question "what about x" is: "works in mysterious ways," "was just their time to die/wasn't her time to die," "part of God's plan," "bad things happen because of mankind and our choices," "because freewill," or "she got help because she asked for it."

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Mysterious priest appears at crash scene
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 06:56:46 am »
And that priest was Albert Einstein.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 08:33:40 am »
Speaking of the comments, read some of them.  Every response to the question "what about x" is: "works in mysterious ways," "was just their time to die/wasn't her time to die," "part of God's plan," "bad things happen because of mankind and our choices," "because freewill," or "she got help because she asked for it."

If I didn't feel like I was getting stupider by perusing the comment section, I'd definitely read more to find that!
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 08:58:09 am »
Christ, I hate the "god works in mysterious ways" and "everything happens for a reason" nonsense. Stop using tragic events to attempt to validate your own beliefs.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:30:06 am »
So, if this tale is true, and this was an angel or other intermediary sent by God to help this girl, one must assume that Catholicism is the one true religion.  If not, why would it have been a Catholic priest that showed up?  Guess all the Protestants are wrong and doomed to Hell.

But seriously, a two mile perimeter?  Bullshit.  First off, do you realize how many people it would take to set up a 2 mile perimeter to where no one could get thru?  Especially considering that Center, Mo. is a very small community with a population of just over 500.  There would be massive gaps in any such "perimeter." (This could also explain the lack of rescue equipment, being such a small rural town.) I've seen exactly zero crashes that it was impossible for someone to sneak in without being noticed if they were determined to get in.  Everyone is concentrating on the victim in these circumstances and if someone did show up, it would be like they appeared out of nowhere.  Same is true of them 'disappearing into thin air."

Regard me as one that is highly skeptical of any "miracle" taking place here.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 12:07:02 pm »
So, if this tale is true, and this was an angel or other intermediary sent by God to help this girl, one must assume that Catholicism is the one true religion.  If not, why would it have been a Catholic priest that showed up?  Guess all the Protestants are wrong and doomed to Hell.

But seriously, a two mile perimeter?  Bullshit.  First off, do you realize how many people it would take to set up a 2 mile perimeter to where no one could get thru?  Especially considering that Center, Mo. is a very small community with a population of just over 500.  There would be massive gaps in any such "perimeter." (This could also explain the lack of rescue equipment, being such a small rural town.) I've seen exactly zero crashes that it was impossible for someone to sneak in without being noticed if they were determined to get in.  Everyone is concentrating on the victim in these circumstances and if someone did show up, it would be like they appeared out of nowhere.  Same is true of them 'disappearing into thin air."

Regard me as one that is highly skeptical of any "miracle" taking place here.

That's my theory, too. "Two Mile Perimeter" seems a bit of an exaggeration (likely it was roadblocks roughly a half-mile apart). There could have been a nice priest passing by who volunteered to help in the only way he knew how. If it was an angel or something, surely he would have appeared as a protestant minister (Lentz in other articles, is identified as an Evangelical/Born Again type, not a Roman Catholic). He only seemed to "disappear" because he quickly returned to his car as the others concentrated on freeing Lentz, which probably took several minutes (not counting the time it took to very carefully extract a badly injured woman from the car), giving kindly old Father Anonymous time to get back to his car beyond a roadblock (cuz he's a good egg who doesn't want attention or praise).

There's also the possibility that the entire thing, including everyone involved, only exist in the minds of news writers on a slow day. I regularly peruse the Snopes site and this sounds like those weird glurges that sometimes make it to news sources. The crash scene photos could just be random crash scene photos someone found on the net.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 01:21:32 pm »
Watched video. Saw that the accident scene was next to a corn field.

Corn field....too many horror story and movie references to ignore that.

Gooseflesh with giggles. :P
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 01:42:53 pm »
Watched video. Saw that the accident scene was next to a corn field.

Corn field....too many horror story and movie references to ignore that.

Gooseflesh with giggles. :P

OH NOES! IT WAS ISSAC WEARING STILTS THAT PRAYED OVER HER!

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 04:20:40 pm »
That's when first responders say a man who looked like a Catholic priest seemed to appear out of nowhere, despite a 2-mile perimeter blocking the scene.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 04:23:32 pm »
Christ, I hate the "god works in mysterious ways" and "everything happens for a reason" nonsense. Stop using tragic events to attempt to validate your own beliefs.

It makes me wonder how these people feel about Kyubey from Madoka Magica or the Reapers from Mass Effect.  Beings with greater knowledge and power than us who have a completely different set of values and don't follow the moral code of humans and have plans that expand far beyond our existence.  It's just that those plans include our suffering (the former) or our destruction (the latter).  Hell, from their points of view, they could probably label themselves as 'benevolent.'  It's humans that have the problem because we don't understand.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 05:32:42 pm »
That was the official Last Rites/Troubleshooter Priest.  There's one assigned to each state.  They work in mysterious ways.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 05:49:21 pm »
I have to wonder how this bit of hokey even made the news in the first place.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 06:35:58 pm »
I have to wonder how this bit of hokey even made the news in the first place.

Slow news day and somebody didn't check the source?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 09:48:04 pm »
I would first like to point out that their tools never started working like the priest claimed; they only gained access to tools that did work when the second crew arrived.

I actually missed this when going through the first time. The article is really written in such a way that you'll "just happen" to conclude that a miracle happened.

Also, I didn't watch the video, but according to the comments, the priest also doesn't appear in any of the accident photos.

Christian comments are now taking this as evidence that the priest was angelic. I always thought that would be weird. You help a person out, & then everyone who hears about the story concludes that you don't actually exist.

I don't quite understand the psychology about showing up to help in an accident, & then suddenly leaving without sticking around to talk to any emergency responders, but I'm sure it happens.

What really got me was a comment complaining about how "verbally aggressive skeptics are being." If she'd open her eyes, she'd notice that the Christian comments are being just as vitriolic, on average, something they justify with "We have the Truth!" So, how is that any different? Plus, they effectively started it. It wasn't the atheists pushing a hokey story about a guardian angel like it's a proven fact. I'm not saying that Yahoo News is a trustworthy source, but why aren't we allowed to criticize it for poor journalism? Aren't these the same people who complain about "agendas" & "not really news" when Yahoo runs a story about gay people?

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 10:01:55 pm »
Standard (rural) protocol around here is to block off the road at the nearest intersection so that cars just hang a left or right and jog over to the next concession rather than force everybody to make a u-turn. In the right place an accident could have a close to two mile perimeter set up using four whole cars.  The other thing that is likely to happen is that those police manning the roadblocks are going to be letting the volunteer firefighters and other people qualified to render assistance (like maybe a priest) through without too much fanfare.