Author Topic: Apologist claims fundies aren't self righteous.  (Read 3351 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Apologist claims fundies aren't self righteous.
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:01:33 pm »
Ooh boy

He gives the standard apologetic answer.  Christians are saved by Jesus so it's impossible for them to be self righteous. He's ignoring the fact that so many of these Christians think that they are better because they're saved and constantly remind people of such fact.  He then says that it's not self righteous to tell people that God condemns certain behaviors as some kind of "warning".  Again, missing the point.  Acting like you know the mind of God and threatening people with an invisible hell is not only self righteous, but extremely douchey.  And of course, he mentions that some act holier than thou, but they aren't trueChristians

He also has another article on judgmental Christians  He defends it because apparently they’re only judging moral behavior.  Which doesn’t make it any less annoying when they’re making everything out to be some moral issue.  Can’t they see why that preachy behavior is annoying? 

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
Re: Apologist claims fundies aren't self righteous.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 07:14:49 pm »
Ooh boy

He gives the standard apologetic answer.  Christians are saved by Jesus so it's impossible for them to be self righteous. He's ignoring the fact that so many of these Christians think that they are better because they're saved and constantly remind people of such fact.  He then says that it's not self righteous to tell people that God condemns certain behaviors as some kind of "warning".  Again, missing the point.  Acting like you know the mind of God and threatening people with an invisible hell is not only self righteous, but extremely douchey.  And of course, he mentions that some act holier than thou, but they aren't trueChristians

He also has another article on judgmental Christians  He defends it because apparently they’re only judging moral behavior.  Which doesn’t make it any less annoying when they’re making everything out to be some moral issue.  Can’t they see why that preachy behavior is annoying? 

There was a woman on Rapture Ready who had a similar belief.  She was so set believing that it was literally impossible for atheists to be pleasant and better people than Christians, that when she did meet one, she became extremely confused and had to perform amazing mental gymnastics to continue to validate her beliefs.  The justification she came up with was that, because atheists were already damned, the devil wasn't going out of his way to lead them astray, unlike faithful Christians who are assholes because the devil is fighting hard to steal their souls.  So even when Christians are complete assholes, it's just another sign of how they're better than nonChristians.

Offline the_ignored

• Bishop
    • Skeptic Friends Network
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 07:28:42 pm »
Ooh boy

There was a woman on Rapture Ready who had a similar belief.  She was so set believing that it was literally impossible for atheists to be pleasant and better people than Christians, that when she did meet one, she became extremely confused and had to perform amazing mental gymnastics to continue to validate her beliefs.  The justification she came up with was that, because atheists were already damned, the devil wasn't going out of his way to lead them astray, unlike faithful Christians who are assholes because the devil is fighting hard to steal their souls.  So even when Christians are complete assholes, it's just another sign of how they're better than nonChristians.
Elizabeth_S?

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:11:05 pm »
Ooh boy

Elizabeth_S?

Can't remember her name.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 08:18:49 pm »
To sum up the argument.

"I'm not smug, I'm simply BETTER than you because I have this star on my belly-see?"

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:01:43 am »
Smug, annoying & NOT self-aware. I loathe jerks like that.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:46:23 pm »
If they're not self-righteous they will certainly do until the real thing comes along.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:45:34 am »
Smug, annoying & NOT self-aware. I loathe jerks like that.

Kind of like Sheldon Cooper if he were a Christian Apologist.  *shudder*

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:25:43 am »
A vast cloud of SMUG envelops the city....

ANYBODY GOT A GAS-MASK?

Offline ASkeptic

• Neonate
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 01:21:57 pm »
"I can't be self-righteous because I believe I'm right!"

Irrefutable logic.
"You know I found out recently that the word 'heretic' comes from the Greek word 'hereticos' meaning 'able to choose', which pretty much says it all, don't you think?" -Pat Condell

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 11:11:23 pm »
People are people, and assholes are assholes, no matter what faith they're from.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!