Author Topic: Tone Policing  (Read 1845 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Tone Policing
« on: February 08, 2014, 06:56:14 pm »
I've recently heard this term and from what I can tell, it describes what has become a pet peeve of mine.  The pet peeve being posters trying to tell people what they should or shouldn't post.  Every so often on a message board, I'll run into a poster who feels the need the lecture others on how they're posting.  That the situation doesn't merit their reaction or that their choice of words makes them hard to take seriously.  I've have this happen to me one time when I was just letting off steam and had someone come to tell me that I wasn't disagreeing "respectfully" even though I never attacked anyone. 

But here's the irony; the thing that really pisses me off about tone police?  Their patronizing tone.  These people talk to others like they're teachers or parents talking to unruly kids.  There is something about people who feel like the unsolicited referee of a discussion that gets under my skin.  It's like they think they have the moral authority to tell others what to do. 

So in a way, I don't have a problem with pointing out someone's tone.  If someone is being an A hole, they should be called out on it, but this holier than thou bullshit gets under my skin.  (if that makes sense). 

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Tone Policing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:05:35 pm »
I don't know, this thread isn't really Lounge material.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 07:52:54 pm »
Well where else would it go? 

Offline Indikins

• Pope
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:29:33 pm »
I'd suggest Society & History. It does have Social Justice/LGBT/feminism topics.
I once had a nightmare about chickens pecking me to death on my driveway. I told my sister to save herself.

This is the #1 nightmare.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 08:29:57 pm »
I'd suggest Society & History. It does have Social Justice/LGBT/feminism topics.
I agree.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 08:57:54 pm »
Regarding tone policing, I'm mostly just tired of people using it as a defence (as in, "stop tone policing me!") against being called out for saying genuinely fucked up things, like telling people to kill themselves and so on, especially when it's in response to a completely innocent mistake.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 09:58:00 pm »
I just cant see tone online. Even if i could, I would just reinterpret it.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 10:27:40 pm »
Regarding tone policing, I'm mostly just tired of people using it as a defence (as in, "stop tone policing me!") against being called out for saying genuinely fucked up things, like telling people to kill themselves and so on, especially when it's in response to a completely innocent mistake.

Yeah telling someone to kill themselves is pretty fucked up.  Calling them out on it is more than justified. 

To give an example of the type of tone policing I despise.  Say I'm ranting about my job.  I hate my bosses, my pay is crap, and I feel like a slave.  Someone comes in and lectures me about how distasteful it is to compare my work to slavery, when I was only letting off steam.    Another example would be discounting what someone says because they're swearing.   

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 10:54:07 pm »

I have determined that this is actually tone policing itself, & therefore I have a problem with tone policing in general, this is just usually the form it takes when used against me.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 11:45:45 pm »
Another example would be discounting what someone says because they're swearing.   

Oh, I totally get the difference between genuine tone policing and people using the term in order to get away with being a total asshole. Bitching out a member of a marginalized group for being less than pleasant while dealing with a bigot is all kinds of fucked up, particularly when you're putting more focus on the former's tone than the shitty, prejudiced things the bigot is saying or doing. Likewise, holding maligned groups to obscenely high standards for conduct (such as giving a trans woman a hard time for losing her cool after being faced with bigotry day in and day out, because "hurr durr you're giving trans people a bad name!") is completely unfair and promoted a monolithic view of said groups.

I'm just tired of the handful of idiots who take legitimate concepts like tone policing, privilege, etc. and turn them into buzzwords to throw around to avoid being accountable for their actions or backing up their arguments.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 11:47:33 pm by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)