Author Topic: None So Double Blind  (Read 5209 times)

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
None So Double Blind
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:33:14 am »
So, let's talk about double blind tests for a moment.

This is one of those things that a lot of people have trouble understanding.  Even people who remember how the scientific method works often don't understand what double blind tests are, or how and why they're used.

First off, let's talk about what double blinds are.  At the most basic, a double blind experiment is one where neither the subjects of the experiment, nor the ones directly administering the experiment, know the exact details of the experiment.  So, while someone sets up the experiment, and knows what each group in the experiment is doing, they don't interact with the subjects.

Now, they're not used for every experiment.  You'll notice I mentioned "subjects."  Double blinds are typically used when experimenting on people, or when people can affect the results of the experiment without realizing it.  How can that happen?  And how can double blinds stop it from happening?

Drug trials are a good example of this sort of experiment.  Just being told they're taking a medicine can help people feel better, which is what we call the placebo effect.  Because of that, it can be difficult to tell if a drug's actually had an effect, or if the person just felt better for thinking it was.

Similarly, tests for psychic abilities (like dowsing or reading minds) can be affected.  Obviously, if the subject knows where the water or gold is hidden beforehand, they're going to focus on that object.  Even if they're not consciously aware that they're doing so, they can still do it without realizing it.

And moreover, perceptive subjects can pick up on the reactions of those administering the tests.  In the drug trials, they might be able to tell if they're really being given a drug or not.  In a test of psychic abilities, the psychic might pick it up from the faces of those testing them, seeing if they're tensing up as they get near the object.

So, we withhold that information from everyone present at the test.  This is why it's called a "double" blind, as opposed to a single blind, when only subjects are kept in the dark.  Even the ones who are directly administering the test aren't aware of who's in the control group, or where things are.  That way, the drug and the placebo are competing on equal ground, and the drug has to do significantly better than the placebo to be declared effective.  The psychic has to beat random chance with no clues available before he can be taken seriously.

Double blinds are there to reduce as many extraneous factors from the experiment as possible, so that only the factor you're testing for--drug efficacy, dowsing, or dog food taste--is actually being tested.  A double blind is much more accurate, and much harder to argue with than a single blind or no blind test.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:20:58 pm by Jack Mann »
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: None So Double Blind
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:56:04 am »
Well said. :)
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:04:42 pm »
Where were you about 5 months ago?

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 01:56:35 pm »
This is a nice and concise explanation of the double blind study. I remember reading about it in my psychology book and being confused but you cleared it up.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 10:07:25 am »
Perhaps this should be sticky'd? It seems like such useful information to let it get lost in the back pages.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 09:34:04 am »
Can you explain how a triple blind study works then? Even the evaluators aren't in the know in these, but then how do you get a result?
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 01:57:22 pm »
As you said, the evaluators don't know.  However, that doesn't mean the information isn't kept.  For example, there might be someone else who isn't monitoring the experiment, but has kept the information.  Or it might have been randomized, but in such a way as to make sure the information can be recovered later (via a computer, perhaps).  It's just another layer of security to keep expectations from affecting the data.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا