Author Topic: Demotivationals  (Read 57380 times)

pyro

Re: Demotivationals
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2015, 02:52:19 pm »

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2015, 03:35:10 pm »

Astronomy nit picking here! Actually a "falling star" is a meteor burning up in the atmosphere, not a true star.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2015, 12:33:30 pm »
Dude, there's lots of stars in that pic. Lots of them. And two meteors and trees and what appears to be a body of water off in the distance.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2015, 03:06:10 am »
Dude, there's lots of stars in that pic. Lots of them. And two meteors and trees and what appears to be a body of water off in the distance.
But claiming that all of those stars have died millions of years ago is wrong. Some are but not all of them.

And the "wishing upon a star" thing is done to a shooting star which is in fact a meteor. The meteors usually burn into bits in the atmosphere so you could claim that it is "dying" but it is not happening millions of years ago.

So either way, the statement is wrong and stupid.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2015, 02:08:43 am »
We're talking about two different things, wishing upon a star and wishing upon a shooting star. Both are things, just two separate unrelated things.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2015, 08:01:21 am »
We're talking about two different things, wishing upon a star and wishing upon a shooting star. Both are things, just two separate unrelated things.
Every time I have heard the "wishing upon a star" tradition it has referred to a shooting star. I have never heard anyone saying that you could make a wish to a real star before I saw that demotivational.

So when the creator of the demotivational said that the star you made a wish to "has been dead for millions of years" I assumed (s)he thought that shooting stars are millions of light years from Earth because otherwise the sentence makes no goddamned sense. You can see the meteor burning in the atmosphere and it certainly is not happening millions of years in the past.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2015, 08:15:54 am »
Every time I have heard the "wishing upon a star" tradition it has referred to a shooting star. I have never heard anyone saying that you could make a wish to a real star before I saw that demotivational.

So when the creator of the demotivational said that the star you made a wish to "has been dead for millions of years" I assumed (s)he thought that shooting stars are millions of light years from Earth because otherwise the sentence makes no goddamned sense. You can see the meteor burning in the atmosphere and it certainly is not happening millions of years in the past.
As I recall, the first actual star to come out at night is also a valid wish receptacle. Though that's probably not what the demotivor meant, considering it uses an image of a shooting star.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2015, 09:26:34 am »

You've never seen "Pinocchio"? Or heard the nursery rhyme, "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight/I wish I may, I wish I might/Have this wish I wish tonight"?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2015, 01:28:06 pm »

You've never seen "Pinocchio"? Or heard the nursery rhyme, "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight/I wish I may, I wish I might/Have this wish I wish tonight"?

a) I've seen bits of the Disney version occasionally but I've never seen a Pinocchio film completely and haven't read the story either.

b) No, but Finland does have different nursery rhymes.

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2015, 05:40:39 pm »
Warning: The book is VERY different from the movie. Disney's Pinnochio comes off as a victim of circumstance whose naivety was taken advantage of by mean people. Pinnochio in the book is just a selfish little brat.