Author Topic: Schools deny girls cervical cancer jabs on religious grounds  (Read 3898 times)

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
Schoolgirls are being denied a potentially life-saving cervical cancer jab at their schools on religious grounds.

Some schools in England have opted out of the HPV vaccination programme because their pupils follow strict Christian principles and do not have sex outside marriage.

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jul/18/cervical-cancer-vaccine-schoolgirls-religion?cat=society&type=article

It gets better.

"pupils follow strict Christian principles, marry within their own community and do not practise sex outside marriage"

Erm, can you say cult?

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: Schools deny girls cervical cancer jabs on religious grounds
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:33:19 am »
I'm not a health expert, but since when did sex cause cancer?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:44:21 am »

Human Papillomavirus is an STD which has been linked to cervical cancer. Its also very common affecting close to 80% of sexually active people. Leave it to the church to miss the point.

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 11:40:07 am »
There's also a massive conspiracy that HPV vaccine = encourage girls to be whores. See: Some controversy about Rick Perry early in the primaries.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:35:29 pm »
No doubt Michael Gove, our useless Schools Minister, approves of this. After all he did approve a bunch of creationist "free" schools recently. Urgh.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 02:45:16 pm »
Some schools in England have opted out of the HPV vaccination programme because their pupils follow strict Christian principles and do not have sex outside marriage.

You only think they're not having sex outside marriage. And what if their future husband pass it to them? What then?
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 08:08:26 pm »
You haven't been able to stop kids from having sex for generations, what the hell makes you think you can do that now?  Yes, keeping children from life-saving vaccines will mean they'll fit your idiotic, impossible-to-achieve agenda.  Fucking morons.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 08:52:01 pm »

You only think they're not having sex outside marriage. And what if their future husband pass it to them? What then?

I’m guessing since the girls will obviously “marry within their community” as well, they expect their future husbands to also know well enough to keep sex within marriage.
-A Pen Name

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 01:41:24 am »
I may be completely wrong (forgive my ignorance) but can't the Human Papillomavirus be contracted through means other than sexual encounters?
I fail to see how a preventative measure with no disadvantages is a bad thing considering the vast number of possibility that can lead to infection. Even if we assume that the kids wont have sex, things like rape remain a possibility too. Isn't preventing possible complications as a result better?

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 06:55:15 am »
I may be completely wrong (forgive my ignorance) but can't the Human Papillomavirus be contracted through means other than sexual encounters?
I fail to see how a preventative measure with no disadvantages is a bad thing considering the vast number of possibility that can lead to infection. Even if we assume that the kids wont have sex, things like rape remain a possibility too. Isn't preventing possible complications as a result better?

Oh, Sylvana. There you go. Projecting your ability to think rationally upon others.
-A Pen Name

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 08:03:46 am »
The sad part is, HPV doesn't just cause cervical cancer.  It can also cause penile and testicular cancer (admittedly, not as often).  If this were better known, I can guarantee you that every last one of them would drag his son off to get Gardisil.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 09:31:34 am »
STOP USING LOGIC!!! YOU'RE PERSECUTING US!!!/s

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 06:56:53 pm »
The sad part is, HPV doesn't just cause cervical cancer.  It can also cause penile and testicular cancer (admittedly, not as often).  If this were better known, I can guarantee you that every last one of them would drag his son off to get Gardisil.

You know, I don’t think I ever heard that when news of this vaccine came out. Why is all the focus on the girls?
-A Pen Name

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 02:16:04 am »

You know, I don’t think I ever heard that when news of this vaccine came out. Why is all the focus on the girls?

I think the reason for the focus is that as a primarily sexually transmitted disease, women would be at a significantly higher risk of both contracting the disease and getting cervical cancer after contracting it. While males would not pick up the virus as easily from sexual intercourse and the chances of cancer is mower for them too. Its probably a case of treating the most vulnerable first. That would be my guess.

To my understanding though in extremely rare cases vaccines can actually infect the person with the virus they are supposed to prevent, given that and the general low infection and complication rate amongst males, they probable figure its best to focus only on women. However this is all speculation on my part.