Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387912 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #255 on: December 31, 2016, 06:26:41 pm »
By the way, you know that old song-and-dance about how racial resentment got Trump elected? Yeah, turns out he won a greater share of the PoC vote than Romney did in 2012.
Which is kinda like saying a tortoise will beat a goldfish in a hundred meter dash on land, but OK. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 06:41:06 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #256 on: December 31, 2016, 08:01:01 pm »
I believe it.

Ironbite-Hillary was just that bad a candidate though to her credit, she did win the popular vote.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #257 on: December 31, 2016, 11:38:00 pm »
Unless Lana is going to trot out something trying to prove Der Failure's conspiracy theory about how Hillary didn't really win the popular vote...

Populist Demagogues can sucker anyone regardless of skin color into voting for them.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #258 on: January 02, 2017, 12:04:03 am »
By the way, you know that old song-and-dance about how racial resentment got Trump elected? Yeah, turns out he won a greater share of the PoC vote than Romney did in 2012.
Which is kinda like saying a tortoise will beat a goldfish in a hundred meter dash on land, but OK.

And look at 2000 and 2004. It really is more a factor of Obama doing really well among racial minorities than Trump doing well.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #259 on: January 02, 2017, 12:03:04 pm »

And look at 2000 and 2004. It really is more a factor of Obama doing really well among racial minorities than Trump doing well.

My point was that Trump won too many minority votes for his success to be boiled down to "white rage". As the article points out:

Comparing yesterday’s results with 2012, as this Washington Post feature does, shows that Trump actually performed slightly worse among white voters than Mitt Romney did. He did, however, perform better than Romney among blacks, Latinos and Asian Americans, making it more difficult to claim that racial resentment was the dominant factor explaining Trump’s support nationally.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #260 on: January 02, 2017, 09:10:48 pm »
It shows that more minorities voted for Trump than for Romney, not that many of the whites who voted for him weren't, at least in part, motivated by racial anxieties. You need to show a.causative relationship here, not merely a correlation.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #261 on: January 02, 2017, 10:11:42 pm »
Keep in mind there ARE conservative and reactionary minority people, as David Clark demonstrates.

He even spoke at the RNC.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2017, 12:07:15 am »
Keep in mind there ARE conservative and reactionary minority people, as David Clark demonstrates.

He even spoke at the RNC.

"Let me tell you why blacks sell drugs and involve themselves in criminal behavior instead of a more socially acceptable lifestyle—because they're uneducated, they're lazy, and they're morally bankrupt. That's why." Fact Check: this is a bullshit stereotype as whites smoke more marijuana than African-Americans.

"This guy [Obama] has continually, continually for eight years rubbed the stain of slavery, rubbed white peoples' nose in the stain of slavery,"

David Clarke sounds like a great guy that I would want advising me on homeland security matters. Actually, no he doesn't. He says some pretty racist things.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #263 on: January 03, 2017, 01:06:31 am »
"This guy [Obama] has continually, continually for eight years rubbed the stain of slavery, rubbed white peoples' nose in the stain of slavery,"
...What the fuck does that even mean?

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #264 on: January 03, 2017, 01:40:42 am »
^It means Barack Obama is black and that's terrible.

I don't know what made Trump do better with minorities then Romney, but I don't think it invalidates the central role racism played in his campaign.  I'm sure there are plenty of Cubans who hate Mexicans or black Christians who hate Muslims.

I think there was a Vox article that put it pretty well: there were three groups of Trump voters 1) Those who supported him in the primary.  They were almost exclusively motivated by racism.  2) The normal republicans who opposed Trump in the primary but voted for him in the general.  They just voted for him because he had an R next to his name and they hate Hillary Clinton.  3) the rustbelt voters fliped over to his side at the last minute.  It's not clear if that was out of racism or because they liked his empty bullshit of keeping American jobs and opposing free trade.

So not everyone who voted for Trump did so out of racism, but the ones that did are the reason he got the republican nomination and remain his biggest fans.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #265 on: January 03, 2017, 01:58:20 am »
I think it's entirely possible that Trump can appeal to a greater percentage of minority voters than Romney while also appealing to those Republicans who harbor racial resentment who have been shown to be more attracted to Trump than they were to Romney as well. Because people vote for a candidate for all sorts of reasons, also-Romney has the charisma of a potato.

Trump campaigned on fear, those not fearful of black or brown people might still be attracted to fear of Muslims, or China, or America's changing industrial landscape-or change period. Fear sells!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #266 on: January 03, 2017, 03:00:35 am »
Someone give me a picture of a potato in a fancy suit with Romney's hair. It would be hilarious.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #267 on: January 03, 2017, 09:38:40 am »
Swamp draining is progressing just as planned: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/02/politics/office-of-congressional-ethics-oversight-of-ethics-committee-amendment/

The proposal would bar the panel from reviewing any violation of criminal law by members of Congress, requiring that it turn over complaints instead to the House Ethics Committee or refer the matter to an appropriate federal law enforcement agency. The House Ethics Committee would also have the power to stop an investigation at any point and bars the ethics office from making any public statements about any matters or hiring any communications staff.
And the ethics office would no longer be able to accept or investigate any anonymous reports of alleged wrongdoing by members of Congress.

It is important to cripple the ethics panel ASAP so that it can not interfere with the Congress when the members violate US laws.

EDIT: Trump actually criticized this move. I am genuinely surprised. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38499284?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:50:49 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #268 on: January 03, 2017, 01:45:25 pm »
EDIT: Trump actually criticized this move. I am genuinely surprised. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38499284?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

He's smart enough to realize that a lot of 'his' party plan on using him as a useful idiot. A shot like this is meant to remind them to fall in line and follow his agenda and perpetuate the illusion that he is there for his followers.

They probably would have been allowed to get away with it if it hadn't gotten any attention that detracts from the Trump narrative.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #269 on: January 03, 2017, 02:38:16 pm »
Hell, for all we know, this may have been a part of the GOP's plan. Do something so outrageous that even Trump will criticize them for it to make Trump sound reasonable.
Who needs a signature?