Author Topic: Tired of trying to get a reservation? Now just pay $5!  (Read 1826 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Tired of trying to get a reservation? Now just pay $5!
« on: July 05, 2014, 11:55:14 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/07/would-be-diners-fume-over-reservationhop-table-saving-app.html

To sum up: some guy created an app that allows you to buy restaurant reservations his company made under false names so that you can be sure to get a seat there.

Apparently he does cancel unused ones, but still...
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Tired of trying to get a reservation? Now just pay $5!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 01:14:37 pm »
OpenTable (that monitor thingie that the host/hostess is always typing on when you enter almost every full service restaurant) will ban any IP address or originating phone number with a history of booking false names, or that just troll reserves to fuck up a restaurant's business. Cancelling unsold reservations at the last minute does not help prevent damage to the restaurant; all fine dining places, especially, carefully stock, prep and staff according to the number of reservations. Places that have horrendous, months-long waiting lists generally don't have people milling about in the bar hoping for a cancellation. This app causes business loss. OpenTable also has a managers only tip-off screen so that fraudsters and bad behaving guests can be flagged system-wide on OT's database.

This app maker is going to get sued by OT sooner than he thinks. Considering that OpenTable is a large and massively successful company, he needs to either lawyer up, or disappear. Law enforcement will be interested, as well, because confirmed reservations are part of the legal confirmation process for proving WHERE a DUI arrestee got so drunk - which bar or restaurant kept serving them alcohol prior to their arrest? That restaurant/bar is legally liable under Dram Shop Law in many States. A tab or credit card receipt is not good enough proof alone, in many cases. Using a false name to obtain a reservation at a licensed alcohol selling establishment is illegal in most states.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:35:25 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 02:06:32 pm »
Seems more like "ambiguously ethical business practices" than science.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 02:10:08 pm »
I guess because it's got to do with apps/phones, therefore, potentially science.  Regardless...

Getting really tired of apps.  Apps apps apps.  QR codes everywhere instead of in-house descriptions.

App culture.  Sucks for those of us whose phones are incapable of using apps because WE BOUGHT THEM TO USE AS PHONES.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 02:25:43 pm »
I decode QR codes on paper you insensitive clod!
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 04:20:10 pm »
I guess because it's got to do with apps/phones, therefore, potentially science.  Regardless...

Getting really tired of apps.  Apps apps apps.  QR codes everywhere instead of in-house descriptions.

App culture.  Sucks for those of us whose phones are incapable of using apps because WE BOUGHT THEM TO USE AS PHONES.
I still use my cell as a phone.  It's just that it can do other things too.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 04:30:14 pm »

I still use my cell as a phone.  It's just that it can do other things too.

We aren't exactly made out of money, and those phones aren't cheap, so...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet