Author Topic: Tesla Motors goes open source  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Tesla Motors goes open source
« on: June 12, 2014, 11:11:38 pm »
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

Tesla Motors has decided to further the cause of sustainable vehicles by allowing others to use their patents. Because Elon Musk is not afraid to remind you that he's better than everyone else.

When I started out with my first company, Zip2, I thought patents were a good thing and worked hard to obtain them. And maybe they were good long ago, but too often these days they serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession, rather than the actual inventors. After Zip2, when I realized that receiving a patent really just meant that you bought a lottery ticket to a lawsuit, I avoided them whenever possible.

At Tesla, however, we felt compelled to create patents out of concern that the big car companies would copy our technology and then use their massive manufacturing, sales and marketing power to overwhelm Tesla. We couldn’t have been more wrong. The unfortunate reality is the opposite: electric car programs (or programs for any vehicle that doesn’t burn hydrocarbons) at the major manufacturers are small to non-existent, constituting an average of far less than 1% of their total vehicle sales.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Tesla Motors goes open source
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 11:23:34 pm »
This is good.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 02:23:37 am »
Dear Elon Musk:  we love you, you son of a bitch.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 07:38:54 am »
So...the company's taking after its namesake?  Good!  Tesla would actually be proud of these men and women for being cool dudes about all this.  We need this shit, and the more quality product of its kind we've got, the better.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.