Author Topic: Stabbing The Homeless  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Stabbing The Homeless
« on: June 11, 2014, 12:57:47 am »
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/sharp-online-response-to-londons-antihomeless-spikes-20140610-39uwr.html

The studs, similar to those used to keep pigeons off buildings, have been installed in the alcove of the apartment block, which is opposite a hostel for homeless people with mental health problems.

London now has spikes to stop vagrancy! Oh thats classy
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Art Vandelay

Re: Stabbing The Homeless
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:58:56 am »
...Wow.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 01:23:53 am »
... Is this a cartoon?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 01:26:37 am »
Some building owner in Montreal tried this and the mayor intervened and got them removed almost as soon as they were installed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/anti-loitering-spikes-removed-after-montreal-mayor-voices-outrage-1.2670842
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:30:10 am »
I have a feeling these will be removed before long.

That being said, whoever thought this was a right idea needs to be shoved onto them.

The only true human vermin are the ones who treat other humans like vermin.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 01:49:41 am »
SERIOUSLY guys? The hell?
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 01:57:07 am »
If the republicans find out they'll cream themselves.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 02:05:55 am »
I wonder if the people who are behind this looked themselves in the mirror 4m and realised that they are officially bad guys now.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 03:44:38 am »
And no one considers just how much of an issue homeless people must be outside of those stores to make them do this?
Its not like they are impaling homeless people on them, they are just making those places uncomfortable to sit / sleep. Given general public loitering laws, those places must have had endless trouble with vagrants before resulting in these kinds of measures.

Like it of not, vagrancy affects businesses. You are less likely to enter a store if you have to dodge a bunch of homeless people to get there. Sure, homeless people should be looked after and treated better, but merely leaving them to crash in a storefront isn't the answer either.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 04:00:33 am »
And no one considers just how much of an issue homeless people must be outside of those stores to make them do this?
Its not like they are impaling homeless people on them, they are just making those places uncomfortable to sit / sleep. Given general public loitering laws, those places must have had endless trouble with vagrants before resulting in these kinds of measures.

Like it of not, vagrancy affects businesses. You are less likely to enter a store if you have to dodge a bunch of homeless people to get there. Sure, homeless people should be looked after and treated better, but merely leaving them to crash in a storefront isn't the answer either.

Because homeless because should stay out of sight, and out of mind, so everyone can pretend everything is hunky dory, and the inconvenience of a business owner is so much more important than places for homeless people to rest as they try their best to survive.

Right.  That's what REALLY matters.

I'm pissed now.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 04:20:45 am »
Nothing makes people get up and get jobs better than spikes digging into their flesh!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 07:37:16 am »
This sounds like something a Charles Dickens villain would do.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 11:51:16 am »
They also installed these spikes on park benches where if you put in a coin, it'll retract for a time.  How long, the article didn't say.  But these are public parks where kids play.  Imagine a kid coming upon one of these benches, not knowing about the spikes and sitting down because someone paid for his time and left before it's up.  How fast do the spikes come back up I wonder?

Ironbite-first kid to get hurt causes a lawsuit that shuts this down.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 05:32:30 pm »
Back in Atlanta, my last restaurant was located in a high-end business and theatre district, across from a nice park, which homeless folk would gather in at times. Most were fine, no problems, and passers by would sometimes stop and give them money or snacks (Atlanta is a friendly, mostly liberal city). I used to ask homeless people who begged from my patio diners to come around back for a hot meal, which was served to them at an employee break table in a corner of our huge kitchen. This was a fine dining restaurant, so that meal was not anything to scoff at! If they refused, and continued to accost or stare at my customers, that was when they would get told to leave. A few actually started fights with the male manager, even though he was a kind man, and very polite, as he also respected the customer's feelings as they witnessed these interactions. The violent ones got arrested.

We often hired the ones who cooperated to do cleaning or trash bag duty, paid them cash, $20 or more. All of the active beggar types had alcohol or drug addictions. The ones who were aggressive, violent assholes usually had outstanding warrants for mugging, purse snatching or burglary, so I didn't feel all that bad about them getting arrested.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 06:10:58 pm »

It's an apartment block, not a store.
Σא